Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled?

Alex D

Record Breaker
Look at Spain, France or Germany, there is chaos everywhere.

Hi from Germany ��
Sorry to inform you, but:
No. Here is no chaos at all.

G20 says otherwise, Hamburg was a warzone ;) and sadly not the first. :( One of my friends is a police officer, he said a while ago, that at no point of his career, people had such low respect of his uniform. But that is another topic. :)

Ender

Match Penalty
Again, I think it's unrealistic to expect any hostile action from North Korea at the Olympics. North Korea and the rest of the world (except maybe China) are in a dilemma where both sides are incentivized to talk big, but do nothing. If North Korea were to ever preemptively strike a small base, let alone the Olympics, they know they would be destroyed by the South Korean and US militaries in a matter of days. It would be a suicide mission. North Korea also knows that doing any strike -- again let alone on the Olympic games -- would almost certainly cause China to completely end their support for the regime and would absolutely destroy the country economically.

The same goes for the US, though, as any preemptive strike would result in immediate retaliation to South Korea and the many troops stationed there from around the world.

So long story short, there is a lot of noise and a lot of panic, but the actors in this game are stuck in a state of perpetual stalemate and chicken. I think the Olympics in Pyeongchang, Tokyo, and Beijing will almost certainly be safe.
My friend says the same but who knows with the leader of NK. He doesn't seem to be someone rational.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think it's unrealistic to not prepare for the worst. If POTUS keeps escalating the dialog and NK responds in kind.....who knows what will happen. It's very scary. Are they just posturing or is someone going to hit that red button. I feel badly for S. Korea if they lose the games over this but would almost wish they be moved somewhere so there is not as much to fear. Honestly if I had a child going to the Games I would be very, very worried.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Top 16 at Worlds qualified (they were 15th) . However, PRK as a country, is not qualified. If South Korea's offer to compete as a joint team, as in the UPI release, were accepted/possible, they could compete.

If that were so, I would not be half so anxious about Nebelhorn this week. But I am, because this is not so. 16 places were given out. That did not mean the top 16 because some countries earned more than one.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Don't think so. Unless "Rocket Man" and the 45th President (I'm not a fan of either) come to blows and the country is in danger, the show will go on. KJU seems to like figure skating, and in my mind he secretly harbors a major unrequited crush on Yuna Kim and is just doing all this to get her attention but she won't give him the time of day.

Sam L

Medalist
Don't think so. Unless "Rocket Man" and the 45th President (I'm not a fan of either) come to blows and the country is in danger, the show will go on. KJU seems to like figure skating, and in my mind he secretly harbors a major unrequited crush on Yuna Kim and is just doing all this to get her attention but she won't give him the time of day.

Best conspiracy theory ever!

Celine

On the Ice
Have not read about nor seen anything from the IOC regarding contingency plans. No particularly active rumours either. What I HAVE heard from industry/sponsor contacts is that some sponsors and media events are being planned with non-PyeongChang alternative locations. And when I say alternative, I don't mean Seoul. I mean, like, Wyoming (which is where an NBC sponsor event may be held instead). Seriously.

noskates

Record Breaker
I can't imagine the IOC isn't "thinking" about contingency plans. Not sure why they would publicize it at this point but it has to be on their minds.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't imagine the IOC isn't "thinking" about contingency plans. Not sure why they would publicize it at this point but it has to be on their minds.

I agree. At this point, the situation with North Korea comes up in every news broadcast that I see. There's no way to ignore the building tension between the leaders. Ships are being deployed and Bombers have flown near the peninsula. At this point the fear of a possible conflict would be enough to make me reconsider attending these games. I hope things work out..

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Seriously, I wish that Olympic will happen but at the same time I am scared... we would all be screwed, literally the whole world, not just some Olympic.

History may repeat itself. ref wiki
The 1940 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XII Olympiad, were originally scheduled to be held from 21 September to 6 October 1940, in Tokyo, Japan. They were rescheduled for Helsinki, Finland, to be held from July 20 to August 4, 1940, but were ultimately cancelled due to the outbreak of World War II.

Ironically, The Russians hit Finland with 21 divisions starting the Winter War in 1940. The Finns did so well that Hitler was convinced the Red Army was an empty shell, due to the murder of 30,000 Russian officers by Stalin in 1937.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just to make things perfectly clear, the United Nations is still at war with NK. There is an armistice. From Wiki.

Since the armistice, there have been numerous incursions and acts of aggression by North Korea. In 1976, the axe murder incident was widely publicized. Since 1974, four incursion tunnels leading to Seoul have been uncovered. In 2010, a North Korean submarine torpedoed and sank the South Korean corvette ROKS Cheonan, resulting in the deaths of 46 sailors.[261] Again in 2010, North Korea fired artillery shells on Yeonpyeong island, killing two military personnel and two civilians.[262]

In 2016, it was revealed that North Korea approached the United States about conducting formal peace talks to formally end the war. While the White House agreed to secret peace talks, the plan was rejected due to the country's refusal to discuss nuclear disarmament as part of the terms of the treaty. Any possibility of talks ended on 6 January when they conducted their fourth nuclear test.[267]

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
History may repeat itself. ref wiki
The 1940 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XII Olympiad, were originally scheduled to be held from 21 September to 6 October 1940, in Tokyo, Japan. They were rescheduled for Helsinki, Finland, to be held from July 20 to August 4, 1940, but were ultimately cancelled due to the outbreak of World War II.

Ironically, The Russians hit Finland with 21 divisions starting the Winter War in 1940. The Finns did so well that Hitler was convinced the Red Army was an empty shell, due to the murder of 30,000 Russian officers by Stalin in 1937.

Don't forget that year's Winter Games, which were moved from Sapporo to St. Moritz with 19 months to go due to the Sino-Japanese war; and then to Garmisch-Partenkirchen with 10 months to go due to dodgy dealings in Switzerland; before being cancelled with 3 months to go due to WW2.

You might find a couple of my previous posts in this thread interesting – here and here.

CaroLiza_fan

noskates

Record Breaker
The big difference between now and the 1940s, however, is the threat of a nuclear war!

jax

Rinkside
I'm willing to bet, if the US and other large nations pitch in say 100 mil, he would be quiet as a lamb. I think knowing the Olympics are close by he can get a lot of money. Trump said something about the US is no longer going to give him money like previous presidents did. Soon after he started sending up bombs.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The big difference between now and the 1940s, however, is the threat of a nuclear war!

True, although of course WWII was the first nuclear war. There are terrible senarios where the nuclear exchanges (mostly one way), terrible as they would be, could get way out of hand. China and Russia are playing a game of chicken with the US. If they cut off support for NK, it withers on the vine and dies. If they continue to support NK, it still is a thorn in the west's side. Just like it has been for half a century. Big win for the Comm bloc countries. But all the while NK is building up a nuke arsenal. The question they have to ask themselves is....do they feel lucky? NK drove the first Korean War to a stalemate with Chinese/ Russian help. And nuclear options were considered then, too.
Russia tore down the Berlin wall....east-west tensions eased....Germany re-united.....wish that would happen again but I am not holding my breath.....