2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Ladies SP | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Ladies SP

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agreed.

But I'm expecting even more overscore in the LP. That's just what figure skating has come to. Overscore, overscore, PCS inflation, ignoring wrong technique, overscore, world records for mediocre programs, overscore, overscore.
Unfortunately that's the reality.
So I'm just trying to enjoy the performances and ignore the numbers, otherwise I'll go mad. LOL

That's usually a good call. Maybe we should focus more about the placement than the records and whatnot.

And first and foremost, I enjoy programs as a whole... things like URs and flutzes, doing 5 triples instead of 7, etc. don't ruin it for me. A good skate is a good skate. :)

lanark

On the Ice
That's usually a good call. Maybe we should focus more about the placement than the records and whatnot.

And first and foremost, I enjoy programs as a whole... things like URs and flutzes, doing 5 triples instead of 7, etc. don't ruin it for me. A good skate is a good skate. :)
Yes, it's not like a flutz will spoil the joy of a whole performance. But it's something that needs attention from the judging panel and it needs to be scored correctly otherwise it's not fair.

The judging has proved to be unfair and corrupted a lot of times so... I'm just tired...But I am very excited to see the new talents and the new programs! :)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
But I also want to add that Alina can win this competiton (and many other competitions) easily on TES.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
man, I am LATE like last season late for this:laugh:, but here my impressions on top 3 after SP (had no chance unfortunately to wath more...:()

As for Alina, I was a bit confused and 'disoriented' after watching her SP - I totally see that the girl has skills, jumping abilities, difficulty in elements, but for me problematic issue is HOW those qualities are presented by choreography and packaging. I do get that her team wants to show all her assests, ability to perform difficult entries to jumps etc., but in all of that chaos I cannot see Alina herself despite my will and expectation. The movement thorough the whole program is so busy, so 'over-embelished', so frantic, it just does not allow me to take a breath and let myself see a skater, but those particular skills on continous display. Saying that, I totally see from where her team is going - the backloading, showing Alina's jumping abilities, showing that she's capable of pulling all the difficulty off and it makes its impression on her first senior season. I respect the fact that if a skater is able to backload as Alina can, then do it for your benefit, BUT - please make it more fluid, balanced and skater-focused as for sole presence, expression, connection to the music/audience, not only to be there and and do a series of moves/elements. The concept/idea and muscal layer of the program are good I feel and suit Alina, but then such busy, frantic choreography kind of ruins my reception of it - I would love to see more holding a pose, a line, a musical moment for a little longer, because I feel that she is capable of that. And speaking of such heavy-loaded choreography vs Alina's actual performance - I have a respect for her to remember all those changes and in all honesty - I have no wonder that such busy choreography added to the nerves over senior international debut resulted in that fall on 2A, surrounded itself by such entry...The hurry and nervousness were visible for me - she was behind the music in places and seemed focused mainly on execution. I just wish the program was a little more 'stripped' of transitions and have more 'Alina moments': to allow her connect more with the character, the feel of the music and the audience. And one more thought about costuming vs music/theme used - again a bit confusion from my side: tutu like for balletic swan, but skating itself gave me a little resemblance of a swan. Yes - there were several 'swan poses', but they were planned here and there in choreography and the rest of Alina's program did not have a 'swan vibe' in it. For that point, I do wish her team would go a bit more avant-garde and gave her a black catsuit with some moderate sparkle and feathers - it would still reference a swan in music and in theme of the program, but was less litteral and disconected from choreography, the way Alina performs it. In general I wish I saw more of Alina in that program, I really do.

As for Wakaba - I personally adore this program for her, it really shows off her great musical sensibility (like last season) and an ability to be playful with music, the vibe, to translate all of this into her skating and interpretation. The piece used is very clever I think - it builds nicely to the energetic finale and so happy to see that choreography actually reflects on that, varying the movement along with tempo. As I am really not a jump person in terms o knowledge etc., I'm just happy to see Wakaba going steady, without some stepouts, falls - it gave me a nice feel of the 'whole' program, the picture of it without any major interruptions. I love the costuming - as it is a Gypsy dance, it is kind of busy in embelishment, but still Wakaba elegance-like, loved those arm details work along with her choreographical movements during step sequence! And speaking of those 'shimmies' already mentioned here - honestly, I don't mind them, all those movements, especially during step sequence, arm moves in-between for me reflected very nicely and seamlessly on music, it was never 'over-the-top' for me. And Wakaba's expression - her joy and exuberance was really infectious, it was like 'yeah, I'm enjoying myself, come all enjoy this one with me', not like 'PLEASE SEE ME ENJOYING IT!' - she really seemed happy and relaxed on ice, made eye contact with audience and flirted so damn nicely with the music. The whole performance just flowed from one pose to another element with joy. This is really a great vehicle for her.

And Carolina - hands down my favourite performance out of top 3. Why? I already mentioned that I am not very jump person, GOE person, COP person in general and I apologize for my ignorance if this is received by some of you as such; I do realize that athletic element is there, that this is a sport of rules and elements to be executed, that there are scores and the best one wins, but I cannot help myself and want to find something that will move me somehow, not only impress by technical content executed and score given. And Carolina yesterday gave me that kind of moment. To take on such 'big' song, such emotional one and not let it overpower you, but the opposite - Carolina let the song, the music to empower her skating, ample her emotional message and make it so raw, real and physical, which is a big thing for me. She was the centerpiece of the whole performance - she showed those lyrics by her face, body, gestures and it was so sublime, yet powerful. I loved especially the transition after 1st spin - the choreography itself alone is masterful, but it gets just o aother level performed by Carolina, she totally live out that music. The costume, the quiet sensuality, maturity of her skating, the cleanless of her lines, fragility of emotional character embodied yet given out in so strong, vivid way just stunned me as a whole. I feel like she's a skater who fully understand her strenghts and fortes and is able to use them in so captivating way in every program now. I am crazy about this SP and cannot wait for its next showing

lanark

On the Ice
As for Alina, I was a bit confused and 'disoriented' after watching her SP - I totally see that the girl has skills, jumping abilities, difficulty in elements, but for me problematic issue is HOW those qualities are presented by choreography and packaging. I do get that her team wants to show all her assests, ability to perform difficult entries to jumps etc., but in all of that chaos I cannot see Alina herself despite my will and expectation. The movement thorough the whole program is so busy, so 'over-embelished', so frantic, it just does not allow me to take a breath and let myself see a skater, but those particular skills on continous display. Saying that, I totally see from where her team is going - the backloading, showing Alina's jumping abilities, showing that she's capable of pulling all the difficulty off and it makes its impression on her first senior season. I respect the fact that if a skater is able to backload as Alina can, then do it for your benefit, BUT - please make it more fluid, balanced and skater-focused as for sole presence, expression, connection to the music/audience, not only to be there and and do a series of moves/elements. The concept/idea and muscal layer of the program are good I feel and suit Alina, but then such busy, frantic choreography kind of ruins my reception of it - I would love to see more holding a pose, a line, a musical moment for a little longer, because I feel that she is capable of that. And speaking of such heavy-loaded choreography vs Alina's actual performance - I have a respect for her to remember all those changes and in all honesty - I have no wonder that such busy choreography added to the nerves over senior international debut resulted in that fall on 2A, surrounded itself by such entry...The hurry and nervousness were visible for me - she was behind the music in places and seemed focused mainly on execution. I just wish the program was a little more 'stripped' of transitions and have more 'Alina moments': to allow her connect more with the character, the feel of the music and the audience. And one more thought about costuming vs music/theme used - again a bit confusion from my side: tutu like for balletic swan, but skating itself gave me a little resemblance of a swan. Yes - there were several 'swan poses', but they were planned here and there in choreography and the rest of Alina's program did not have a 'swan vibe' in it. For that point, I do wish her team would go a bit more avant-garde and gave her a black catsuit with some moderate sparkle and feathers - it would still reference a swan in music and in theme of the program, but was less litteral and disconected from choreography, the way Alina performs it. In general I wish I saw more of Alina in that program, I really do.

I totally agree with you.
And I think the frantic movements with no time for breathing, no holding a beautiful line, the lack of musicality, the almost chaotic choreo is apparently a trademark for Eteri girls. And I mean no disrespect, they're obviously all very talented. But I don't know what's going on with their artistic side. They have a very different, specific style, with all the busy transitions, the tanos, rippons, the backloading. Personally, I'd rather see a more balanced layout, but I get they are doing it for points. But still, if it's not done well, it kills the artistry a bit. And I think that was the case here. She wasn't ready to perform that program. I guess she will, soon enough.