Thread: Music!

Spectator

0 Not allowed!

Music!

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    Hi! Im trying out for an ice show where everyone makes it and usually you can pick a more up beat music for your audition. I'm doing waltz jumps sals and toe loops. I'm also doing sit spin and scratch spin. My coach said not to pick anything to fast because I won't be able to skate to it. Thoughts on these music choices? Which ones are to fast? Opinion?

My way - Calvin Harris
    This girl
    Riptide
    Prayer in the c
    Too close
    Lay it all on me
    Slow hands

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure I know any of those, but I suggest, choose the one you feel the most expressive with and don't mind listening to over and over. Nothing is nicer than watching a skater love their routine and music. If it was a show like Cat in the Hat, I'd choose music that highlights that you as the character you want (more broadwayish).

Have you run these music ideas by your coach? Can you ask them for music you haven't considered?

Because backflips are sexy.... Ic3Rabbit's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skater226 View Post
    Hi! Im trying out for an ice show where everyone makes it and usually you can pick a more up beat music for your audition. I'm doing waltz jumps sals and toe loops. I'm also doing sit spin and scratch spin. My coach said not to pick anything to fast because I won't be able to skate to it. Thoughts on these music choices? Which ones are to fast? Opinion?

My way - Calvin Harris
    This girl
    Riptide
    Prayer in the c
    Too close
    Lay it all on me
    Slow hands
    The only two that might work are Riptide and Lay it all on me (if that's vance joy too). The others are either too fast, too inappropriate, etc...

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    If that is the Lay it all on my by Rudimental feat Ed Sheeran That's a good song I would definitely pick a song you won't get sick of hearing every time you practice. Personally I can't stand Riptide all I think of is the creepy music video
    Best Of Luck !!

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    I think this should be your own choice and not ours. Maybe you can play the songs at the rink and stake to them to find out which one you feel most comfortable with. Because imo that's the most important thing.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps talk to your coach to find out what pace she'd like - ask her for an example song, that's at the right pace. Then find others that are around that same pace. For example, if Riptide is the right pace according to your coach, that's the pace you want to look at. Nothing faster.

But you also want the music to have some dynamics - some ups and some downs. Nothing too flat.

And listen to the words or look the lyrics up online - if the singer says words that you wouldn't want your grandma to hear, you can't use that song, or it will have to be edited before you do. Likewise, subject matter. If the song is all about sex like Slow Hands is, is that really something you want to skate to? In front of JUDGES?

You can talk to your coach about how the music might be edited down to the right time.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    Make sure you also don't pick a song that is too slow or monotonous. Only really fast (and skillfully expressive) skaters can skate to slow music without losing the audience's attention.