Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: 'Radical change' could be on the way

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by singerskates View Post
    Take a look at the JGP, notice how many Russians get to compete? Taking away the limit of 3, would make every competion a Russian National Competition.
    I am perfectly fine with it. Others will have to step up to compete and that's a good thing. Nothing should come for free.

Tripping on the Podium

2 Not allowed!
    I am not against any reform on the current scoring/judging system, but to have some technical champion, artistic one and the all-around at the same event? Such exteme ideas sound really crazy! How many World/Olympic Champions will be turned out by such possible crazy change? What Champion has more net value, to be exact? Honestly, All of them are only sportsmen, not the so-called "Artists on Ice", so please think things over before moving forward.

Spectator

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    i think one of the things here, if I may, is that there is always comments saying... bleh... quads... who cares.... well there are amazing high, well rotated, textbook quads.... that are just as beautiful than the triples... but with one more turn.... and I think that it makes skating even more exciting when such jumps happen... same with a gorgeous triple axel with lots of ice coverage.

So the issue here is not jumps nor quad jumps.. it's bad jumps....

one simple solution : do like diving or aerials.... punish more for jumps that are not landed on one foot... punish more for jumps that turn into falls... then skaters will take less risks and quality will be better... at the same time, those with gorgeous 3A or gorgeous quads will still be able to shine and keep the enthusiasm of fans alive.
    Well said, really well said

I still remember for the first time, when I saw a well executed quad successfully landed in front of me, I feel SO excited, it's beautiful and it's powerful! Quad definitely have its value in the program (so is other jumps), and I enjoy spins and steps as well, music, gesture , facial expressions , because all of it is what makes the program complete.

I understand that's they first change the rules and increase the BV of quads in order to push for quads, now they have achieved the purpose, so I think ISU should think about ending the 'promotion period' for quads, and stop rewarding for falls. The top man have proven that quads are possible, and the rewards is huge (if you manage to land it). So even if fall = zero, there will still be future skaters keep challenging quads in order to get to the top. But with the big risk that comes with fail to land a quad, they will have to make sure they have higher success rate in landing the quad in competition before they put it into the program.

As I am typing this, I suddenly start to realise why they want to have an artistry program and a technical program... because it is understandable that some skaters were just not designed to do quads, but they are still awesome skaters... (it doesn't mean I think it's fine to the separation of the artistry & technical program.)

Gazing at at glorious Great Lakes sunset .... skylark's Avatar

0 Not allowed!

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by ssffww View Post

I don't get why some people say jumps in figure skating are the thing that attracts audience.

I could not agree more. Not long ago I showed some of my favorite recent programs to a friend who doesn't watch figure skating regularly and her comment was, "Oh, so it's all about the jumps now." She had always considered it a well-rounded sport that required both athleticism and artistry.

When one 'thumbs up' just isn't enough!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14