R. Walia on Kaetlyn Osmond: "She's there." | Golden Skate

R. Walia on Kaetlyn Osmond: "She's there."

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted Flett talks with Canadian figure skating coach and former competitor, Ravi Walia on Kaetlyn Osmond. Enjoy!

Looking forward to seeing her perform this season! #BlackSwan!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is confusing. They talked and showed Summertime for Kaetlyn's Olympic SP but Beverley Smith reported on Sept 14 that Kaetlyn had turned back to Piaf and it was discussed on Kaetlyn's thread. The GS interview was done during the SC camp. Smith wrote

Two days after she returned from the national team camp, Osmond began to toy with the Piaf choreography. She pulled it up on her computer. She didn’t do a full run-through of it until last Thursday. And it was clear what the decision should be. Piaf was like a comfortable old sweater.

“It felt like the best kind of déjà vu, honestly,” she said. “The minute that I turned the music on and went to skate it, it just felt incredible. It brought back so many great memories from last year. I had forgotten how much fun I had doing that.”

Walia said that even though the “Summertime” routine was very good, the team wanted to make sure that Osmond goes to the Olympics with her strongest programs. “We agreed that the Piaf program is the best program she’s ever had,” Walia said. “Many people have said to us that it’s a masterpiece. It’s obvious that we wanted to go to the Olympics with our strongest program. And that was definitely the Edith Piaf program.”

GS interview only came out today. Did Smith scoop GS?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Regardless, I would trust Ravi and Kaetlyn with the help of Lance Vipond, unconditionally, to make the best decision for them. If the 'Piaf program' feels more natural and organic, go for it! For many fans of this program, Christmas just came early. Joyeuses Fêtes!

mrrice

Record Breaker
There's nothing better than having a smart coach. I loved it when he said that Kaetlyn has "Tunnel Vision" as that's what my ballet teacher used to tell us we needed. Someday, I'd love to see a study that shows how many times a competitive athlete has to choose between training and a "Real Life." I think that's why so many skaters date skaters. I dated dancers because they were the people I spent the most time with and could relate to my life.

Ravi seems very excited for Kaetlyn and so am I. I've always been a fan of hers and if she can get herself on the Podium at the OG's, it will be huge for Kaetlyn, and for Canada. Thank you for posting this interview, it was great.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was no 'scoop' per se. :) Our interview was done during HPC prior to Bev's interview, but we didn't take out the footage from the new SP. Sorry for the confusion! It was nice to get a glimpse of it, though! Maybe she will use it in the future.

Last edited:
The Piaf short program was a masterpiece. Girl has attitude!

For me, the Summertime clip was not so impressive. Kaetlyn seemed to be uncomfortable with the music. It's early in the season, of course, but still... I think she made a good choice.

This is so exciting. Can Osmond catch Medvedeva. Can Daleman beat them both? What about the other Russians, the Japanese? (Go Karen Chen, go Ashley. :laugh: )

It was interesting that Ravi likes to have his skater work on sections of a program, especially to divide the LP into the first half and the last half. It sounded like he doesn't insist on lots of full run throughs.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Will Osmond keep her Piaf SP? A smart move - that's a marvelous program that suits her quite well. Just hope there will be less ranting about Medvedeva's "keeping the same layout from the previous season" while her main rival just recycles the last year SP...[edit].

Last edited by a moderator:

Ender

Match Penalty
I love that program and I don't get why they chose Summertime, it was a let down. I hope Osmond truly comes back to her last SP.

Now... I understand why it makes her feel great, not because of any other's influence.

She might hit 80 with this program at the Olympics. It's a very smart decision.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
She hit 81 at the Canadian Nationals last year with the program. And with a few changes to layout, a pre-curser perhaps...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I always really enjoyed Ravi's skating. He had such long limbs and when he spun it was kind of crazy to watch.

It's nice when a student and teacher seem so well matched like with Deniss and Stephane. I don't think I'd ever want to have a combative relationship with my coach. I don't think it would bring out the best in me. I know for some it does but I prefer to see coaches who seem to really care about their skaters and don't treat them like a paycheque.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm very happy for Ravi for having success as a coach. Interesting he's not more in demand with up and coming skaters flocking to him. Maybe he will be on the radar with an Olympic medal for Kaetlyn. Anyway, I'm happy they are a team.

Go Team Kaetlyn!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It's nice when a student and teacher seem so well matched like with Deniss and Stephane.

OT/

Well yes and no: his artistry is improved with Stephane but the rest of his skating is still what he learned from Alexei Urmanov.

I don't want to blame someone but at the same time with his previous coach, Deniss was a potential future medal contenders (and he was already with juniors, youth olympic silver medalist) while now he can't compete for a top spot basically.

\OT

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm very happy for Ravi for having success as a coach. Interesting he's not more in demand with up and coming skaters flocking to him. Maybe he will be on the radar with an Olympic medal for Kaetlyn. Anyway, I'm happy they are a team.

Go Team Kaetlyn!

kaetlyn already has a silver medal from the OGames... :) and is world's vice champion... no need for more hardware IMHO for her coach to get students ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
kaetlyn already has a silver medal from the OGames... :) and is world's vice champion... no need for more hardware IMHO for her coach to get students ;)

She's accomplished much. I guess I was thinking of Hot Coach Orser as a comparison for Ravi.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So happy for Ravi finding success with Kaetlyn. They've both been very patient for her success, amidst injuries and whatnot. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum in the Olympic season! :agree:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So happy for Ravi finding success with Kaetlyn. They've both been very patient for her success, amidst injuries and whatnot. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum in the Olympic season! :agree:

Her fans have been patient too. She started out with such great promise and made a splash, creating excitement and expectations. Then she was hit with one injury after another. There were, and still are, nay sayers but she pulled through with her big bright smile unfazed. Along with Kaetlyn and Ravi, her fans and supporters never stopped believing in her. She is back with a new splash while upsetting the apple cart. Suddenly the landscape in Ladies figure skating is different with Kaetlyn and Gabby on the Worlds podium.

I wish her continued success and momentum. She is sunshine on ice.

MsSweetie

Rinkside
Her fans have been patient too. She started out with such great promise and made a splash, creating excitement and expectations. Then she was hit with one injury after another. There were, and still are, nay sayers but she pulled through with her big bright smile unfazed. Along with Kaetlyn and Ravi, her fans and supporters never stopped believing in her. She is back with a new splash while upsetting the apple cart. Suddenly the landscape in Ladies figure skating is different with Kaetlyn and Gabby on the Worlds podium.

That is the best way to describe her. Sunshine on ice.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

There have been many naysayers, esp. during those dark days after injury. Watching the video with Ravi telling the story of her returning to the sport with so much promise and so little self belief and fear, and reading the posts today, reminded me of what she overcame. Through it all, our love and support for Kaetlyn's skating never diminished. Thanks to the fans for your patience and for believing it was possible, and Violet Bliss, 'this' has to be one of the best phrases on here, ever! ;)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love Kate and I predicted Gabby would surpass most in Canada but it is Katelyn I hope for. Orser will have Gabby trained so well. Exciting days for Canadian ladies!!!! Go girls!!!!