Now that Asada retired, who is the it girl? | Golden Skate

Now that Asada retired, who is the it girl?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
For me Wakaba. I love her power speed edges control. Awesome. A very athletic build but graceful too. I miss Mao but Japan has some great gals. Who are you rooting for?

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
For me Wakaba. I love her power speed edges control. Awesome. A very athletic build but graceful too. I miss Mao but Japan has some great gals. Who are you rooting for?

It has to be Marin Honda. Have you seen all the media hype around her in Japan?

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
To me Wakaba. hands down. no other current Japanese ladies have pulled me in like her. Her FS this season along with V/M's Short program are my favorites this season so far.

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
It has to be Marin Honda. Have you seen all the media hype around her in Japan?

Her skating is phenomenal no denying its just I connect with Wakaba when she's on ice. She has my full attention and I can't look away, great program music, powerful jumps I could go on :love::love::love:

nimi

Medalist
Joining the Wakaba lovefest!

Marin is delightful to watch, but I'm just more into Wakaba's style of skating.

Last season I thought there was still something juniorish about Wakababy's presentation and programs but now.... After seeing the Bond free skate @ Lombardia I'm #TeamWakaba -- and won't call her Wakababy anymore :laugh:

lady_bee

Medalist
I haven't seen any "it" which is bigger than Mao's, but I am rooting for Wakaba & Mai.

pearly

Record Breaker
I am torn because Japan has four wonderful skaters with so much potential. There is one thing about ladies skating that I always notice: younger skaters have the crazy jumps, backloaded programs and huge BV and TES scores. However maturity in skating comes with age and only with age. Older skaters have that beautiful smoothness and artistry. No need to look further than just crossovers. Wakaba's performance last week was on that track.

Can't wait to see Mai and Satoko. I think Mai may have also "grown" and we might see some slightly more mature skating from her this year.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
After seing her programs last week, definitely Wakaba :agree:
But I wish good luck to all the Japanese skaters. I hope they all will show consistency this season and let it be a fair fight.

lanark

On the Ice
I'm not sure yet.
I love Wakaba but I do not love her FS.
And I love Marin but I haven't seen her new SP yet.
I'll decide after I see it. ^^

But... I don't know, I think I'll go with Marin because I like her style and her choreos better. :love:

Cherryy

On the Ice
I’m fairly sure Satoko has been the „it” Japanese girl for the past few seasons, paving the way for her younger colleagues :). As others mentioned, it’ll be hard to surpass or even come close to Mao, so for me it’s a question of who’s going to take the torch from Satoko. Since seeing her at 2016 Trophee de France, Wakaba is also my choice but it seems like the media chose Marin a long time ago.

If we’re talking about longer time frames, then I’m betting on Rika Kihira. She’s already continuing the japanese tradition of 3 axels and pushing the technical side.

blackey

On the Ice
never thought this before but I just realized that I prefer the Japanese ladies so much more than the Russians..:drama:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I prefer the Russian girls, but my favorite Japanese girls are Satoko and Rika (Kihira)

Shandy

On the Ice
If we’re talking about longer time frames, then I’m betting on Rika Kihira. She’s already continuing the japanese tradition of 3 axels and pushing the technical side.

On an even longer time frame, I'm looking forward to seeing Akari Matsuoka develop. Like Satoko she's a "small" jumper, but she's such a fast rotator that if she gets more power behind her jumps, I could see her landing a 3A or maybe even a 4S. And those spins--so breathtakingly fast!

On the shorter term, I'm very much looking forward to Wakaba's upcoming season. :luv17: