Bruno Marcotte on Duhamel & Radford 2017-18 | Golden Skate

Bruno Marcotte on Duhamel & Radford 2017-18

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted Flett talks with coach Bruno Marcotte about the trickiness of coaching Canadian pair skaters Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford, the emotional strain of the team last year, the new music choices, and thoughts on the 2017-18 Grand Prix.

Enjoy!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thank you again for bringing another great interview!

what I am looking forward to seeing and I will this Saturday is the new Muse program.

Bruno here says that 90% of it is brand new... they just felt that the music was fitting them so well.... but the program is new...

So... I am very excited to see it...

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To me, the most interesting detail Bruno offered wasn't that the choreography of their Muse program is different.

It's that mentally, that music gets Meagan and Eric back to a place where they feel they can win again.

Ted brought up the criticism that Sale / Pelletier got for returning to "Love Story" for the Olympics. And Bruno said, "I know a lot of people say that about Dave and Jamie, but as far as I'm concerned ... they won the Olympics with that program!" Great point! Ted and Bruno nod and laugh. Bruno went on to say that he thinks they did so well with Love Story for the same reason ... that it got them to a place where they felt they could win again.

This is so relevant to the discussions about Ashley and possibly many others who've been so viciously criticized for reprising a program or music. I'll say again, I think it's a brave choice. Skaters know they'll be criticized by the likes of some on this forum. So it's both brave of D/R, and understandable ... even eloquent ... from an emotional place.

nimi

Medalist
what I am looking forward to seeing and I will this Saturday is the new Muse program.

Bruno here says that 90% of it is brand new... they just felt that the music was fitting them so well.... but the program is new...
I'm looking forward to seeing it too!
As far as the program being "new" or not... I guess that depends on what exactly we mean when we say "the program is new"...

I think Marcotte said that 90% of the choreo is new. I think that means that the program construction and element placement of Muse 2.0 could turn out to be very similar to (or even identical with) Muse 1.0. After all, 'choreo' in skating lingo often seems to refer to bits that are outside the actual elements (which often stay largely the same from season to season and take up a big chunk of the program time, especially in pairs). I don't expect their lifts and spins to look radically new and different, either -- although I'd love to be surprised! -- but I do expect new and improved entries and exits and transitions, i.e. actual new 'choreo'. (On instagram, they already shared that cool spread eagle entry into 4STh.)

So, if it turns out they use exactly the same music cut as before with the "old" elements in their old places but they have largely rechoreographed the entries, exits and transitions, is that a "new" program or "old"? I'd say it's both... but it's almost like a tricky philosophical question! :laugh: (I just happen to be reading Maggie Nelson's Argonauts and in the opening pages the narrator makes a reference to a Roland Barthes passage "in which Barthes describes how the subject who utters the phrase 'I love you' is like 'the Argonaut renewing his ship during its voyage without changing its name.'")

nimi

Medalist
To me, the most interesting detail Bruno offered wasn't that the choreography of their Muse program is different.

It's that mentally, that music gets Meagan and Eric back to a place where they feel they can win again.

(...)

This is so relevant to the discussions about Ashley and possibly many others who've been so viciously criticized for reprising a program or music.
Totally agree!

Meagan & Eric themselves have often talked about how important it is to get to the right place mentally, and if that music takes them there... Good for them!

pearly

Record Breaker
Lol nimi I read your post without looking at who wrote it but as soon as I saw Barthes I thought it was probably you :D

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm looking forward to seeing it too!
As far as the program being "new" or not... I guess that depends on what exactly we mean when we say "the program is new"...

I think Marcotte said that 90% of the choreo is new. I think that means that the program construction and element placement of Muse 2.0 could turn out to be very similar to (or even identical with) Muse 1.0. After all, 'choreo' in skating lingo often seems to refer to bits that are outside the actual elements (which often stay largely the same from season to season and take up a big chunk of the program time, especially in pairs). I don't expect their lifts and spins to look radically new and different, either -- although I'd love to be surprised! -- but I do expect new and improved entries and exits and transitions, i.e. actual new 'choreo'. (On instagram, they already shared that cool spread eagle entry into 4STh.)

So, if it turns out they use exactly the same music cut as before with the "old" elements in their old places but they have largely rechoreographed the entries, exits and transitions, is that a "new" program or "old"? I'd say it's both... but it's almost like a tricky philosophical question! :laugh: (I just happen to be reading Maggie Nelson's Argonauts and in the opening pages the narrator makes a reference to a Roland Barthes passage "in which Barthes describes how the subject who utters the phrase 'I love you' is like 'the Argonaut renewing his ship during its voyage without changing its name.'")

well in pairs especially, we can expect same lifts and spins and jumps and throws.. ;)

so i would think that it's the connecting steps that are new.... in that sense, you are correct that considering that the LP is so full of elements (pairs get it tough... in both programmes.. they are always going from one element to the next) that yes.. we may not see much change ...

i think they are better skaters now than 2-3 years ago.. so that may have opened for new possibilities..

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Ted brought up the criticism that Sale / Pelletier got for returning to "Love Story" for the Olympics. And Bruno said, "I know a lot of people say that about Dave and Jamie, but as far as I'm concerned ... they won the Olympics with that program!" Great point! Ted and Bruno nod and laugh. Bruno went on to say that he thinks they did so well with Love Story for the same reason ... that it got them to a place where they felt they could win again.

This is so relevant to the discussions about Ashley and possibly many others who've been so viciously criticized for reprising a program or music. I'll say again, I think it's a brave choice. Skaters know they'll be criticized by the likes of some on this forum. So it's both brave of D/R, and understandable ... even eloquent ... from an emotional place.

sure but let's not turn things around... D/R were one of the first teams announcing they were skating an old program here... and got their share of the flack... if you don't mind, I'd prefer we leave the Ashleys, Yuzus, Alinas and Shomas out of this thread for once.. there is a thread dedicated to that specific topic of repeating programs... we don't need to talk about moulin rouge in every single thread ;) I saw this with humour, I hope you take it like that ;) :biggrin:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think Marcotte said that 90% of the choreo is new. I think that means that the program construction and element placement of Muse 2.0 could turn out to be very similar to (or even identical with) Muse 1.0.
[/I])

I agree. In fact, Bruno as much as says this. That the music, its build-up and cuts, go well with Meagan and Eric's style and highlights their skating in positive ways. (something like that.)

I love this! To all intents and purposes, and to the view of outside eyes, the ship may be or appear to be the same. But the transformation makes all the difference. Now I am going to have to read Roland Barthes! and possibly Maggie Nelson.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
sure but let's not turn things around... D/R were one of the first teams announcing they were skating an old program here... and got their share of the flack... if you don't mind, I'd prefer we leave the Ashleys, Yuzus, Alinas and Shomas out of this thread for once.. there is a thread dedicated to that specific topic of repeating programs... we don't need to talk about moulin rouge in every single thread ;) I saw this with humour, I hope you take it like that ;) :biggrin:

Yes, I'm taking it with humor, and I'm saying the following with a smile also .... :)

To be fair to me (yay me :)) I began and ended my post with Meagan and Eric. And the way my brain works, I see connections. :dance3: In this case, not just with other skaters ... which I think is relevant on a figure skating discussion forum ... but also connections with emotions and strategy.

Meagan and Eric are calling their FS "a reprisal" from 2014-15. I think it was on the AC entries that I noticed that. have a great time!

( ...)

I'll say again, I think it's a brave choice. Skaters know they'll be criticized by the likes of some on this forum. So it's both brave of D/R, and understandable ... even eloquent ... from an emotional place.

bobbob

Medalist
If the skating style is different...then sure I'm open to the same song but their program in 14-15 was completely out of theme for Muse. Redoing programs and improving them is difficult (maybe moreso than coming up with something new), but if done properly can have better results than coming up with something new.

For their short program the music selection was very touching but the skating had little relationship to the music. Sort of reminded me of their Your Song short program which had a very grandiose piece but their movements were completely unrelated to creshendos of music. This short program is a bit better in that they at least acknowledge the changes in tone.