2017 Ladies' Grand Prix Preview/Analysis | Golden Skate

2017 Ladies' Grand Prix Preview/Analysis

Daniel1998

Final Flight
For those of you who remember, I did a (very very long) pre-Grand Prix analysis/preview post for several disciplines last year. It was fun and I’ve got some time so I decided to do it again for the ladies. (It will probably be equally as long.)

Last year I divided the fields into two types: top-heavy and depth fields. However, I don’t think I can do that this year because ladies figure skating has become more and more challenging to predict, and many twists that unfolded near the end of last season blew the Olympic season wide open. Among these twists are the following:

1. The emergence of the Canadian ladies. Osmond and Daleman have had the talent for years to be near the top, but neither were able to get everything together until last season, and in a World Championships with multiple disappointing performances, they both brought their best to medal. It remains to be seen whether they can keep their consistency up throughout the Olympic season.

2. Pogorilaya’s fall from grace. After a nearly flawless season, Pogorilaya melted down at the World Championships and in doing so, changed the dynamic of the Russian Olympic race. No one knows which Pogorilaya will show up early in 2018, and how the judges will react to her performances.

3. The next generation arrives. It’s hard to believe someone who hasn’t skated in the Grand Prix before is an Olympic medal threat, but that’s exactly what Alina Zagitova is. Her jumping prowess has everyone noticing and, if she can keep performing as consistently as she has, she will be in the mix at Pyeongchang. Another one to keep an eye on is Marin Honda, who has all the makings of being a future star.

4. The Japanese bloodbath. Honda, Higuchi, Mihara, and Miyahara are all in contention for only TWO Japanese spots at the Olympics. The way Mihara and Higuchi have performed recently, it’s going to be a massive shame two of these skaters won’t be making it to the Olympics. Every skater has such a high ceiling and nothing has been determined.

I’m going to talk about each field individually and then pick my winners and losers of the draw.

Rostelecom Cup:

Top Seed: Medvedeva
Podium Favourites: Kostner, Higuchi, Radionova
Contenders: Tursynbaeva, Nagasu
Long Shots: Sakamoto, Bell

Medvedeva will win barring a shocker, and the way she’s been skating, I expect Higuchi to take silver. This is one of the few fields where I don’t expect any of the three contenders to factor into the podium race, because Kostner and Radionova tend to score at least somewhat well at every competition. Any podium that doesn’t consist of three of these four will be a surprise to me, although Nagasu could shock the world with a landed 3A.

Skate Canada:

Top Seed: Osmond
Podium Favourites: Pogorilaya, Sotskova
Contenders: Honda, Chen, Wagner
Long Shots: Chartrand, Hongo, Hicks

Unlike Rostelecom Cup, this is an event with tons of podium possibilities. Osmond looks in decent form to start the season and with the home crowd advantage, should win. What happens after that is anyone’s guess. Honda and Sotskova are trending up to begin the season with strong performances at Challenger events, while Chen has been less than impressive and Pogorilaya and Wagner have not competed. What happens here could eliminate a lot of Grand Prix Final hopefuls in just the second week.

Cup of China:

Top Seed: Daleman
Podium Favourites: Higuchi, Mihara, Radionova, Zagitova
Contenders: Honda, Tuktamysheva
Long Shots: Li, Choi

Daleman is technically the top seed here, but the de facto favourite is Zagitova. If she is clean, I don’t think anyone in this field can touch her. Daleman will do well to win silver here, especially after her poor showing at Finlandia. Mihara and Higuchi have been great to start the year and Radionova as always will be in the mix. Honda again may factor in, as well as Tuktamysheva, who has shown glimpses of her past form recently but hasn’t put it all together yet.

NHK Trophy:

Top Seed: Medvedeva
Podium Favourites: Kostner, Miyahara
Contenders: Nagasu
Long Shots: Chartrand, Hongo, Shiraiwa, Tsurskaya, Bell

I see this as the weakest field of the six, because there isn’t that much depth. Medvedeva will have no trouble winning, and she will likely be flanked on both sides of the podium by Kostner and Miyahara. Miyahara is a big question mark after taking most of the last season off, but she’s coming back to her home event, which will be very beneficial. Should either skater falter, this is a great opportunity for Nagasu to shine. If she gets her 3A in here and rotates everything, she could come out of nowhere for a podium finish.

Internationaux de France:

Top Seed: Osmond
Podium Favourites: Mihara, Sotskova, Zagitova
Contenders: Tursynbaeva, Tuktamysheva
Long Shots: Li, Shiraiwa, Edmunds

This is another event where only the top 4 should factor into the podium. However, there are many different possible orders they could finish in. The battle between Zagitova and Osmond will be really fascinating to me; Osmond will need to be clean to have a shot at Zagitova, and if she is, it will be very close for first. Mihara and Sotskova are well in the mix and both have reason to be confident right now, so it would not be a surprise if either of them edged out Osmond for a silver medal should the Canadian waver.

Skate America:

Top Seed: Daleman
Podium Favourites: Miyahara, Pogorilaya
Contenders: Chen, Wagner
Long Shots: Sakamoto, Choi

A massive opportunity presents itself for the Americans at their home event. All three of the other big names are question marks to begin the season, and Chen and Wagner will have the home crowd behind them to get them to the grand prix. However, Daleman and Pogorilaya arguably have higher ceilings than both Americans when clean, and Miyahara will also get high scores if the judges rule in her favour.

Winners of the Draw:

Evgenia Medvedeva. Let’s be honest: every draw would be a win for Medvedeva. However, she has avoided Zagitova in both her events, who is probably the person she fears the most at this point. Expect Medvedeva to stroll into the GPF with the full 30 points.

Alina Zagitova. Another happy camper- she avoids Medvedeva! That makes two wins very possible for Zagitova, and at the very least, two podium finishes. Expect Zagitova to be around for the final as well.

Kaetlyn Osmond. She is almost assured a win at home, and if that happens, a podium finish at a more difficult field in France should be enough to carry Osmond to the Final. Mihara and Sotskova are two people she beat comfortably at the World Championships, and Osmond would only likely need to beat one of them to advance to the final.

Carolina Kostner. Kostner has drawn into two of the easier fields. Yes, she has Medvedeva in both events. However, there’s not much else depth in either event. I would consider her a bronze medal favourite in Russia as well as at the NHK trophy. Her PCS carries her in every event, and the inconsistency of other skaters could work to her advantage.

Satoko Miyahara. We don’t know much about how Miyahara is feeling this season. That being said, she has an excellent draw this season. NHK Trophy, where she’s at home, is an easy field where she really should take silver barring a Kostner miracle. Skate America becomes more difficult, but everyone in that field has had inconsistency issues recently, which makes it anyone’s game. She needs to be clean, but if she can rediscover her pre-injury form, she’s in great position to make the Final.

Losers:

Gabby Daleman.
Her first event is so strong that it could put her out of contention for the Final immediately. Assuming she escapes with a medal, she will be under big pressure to skate well in America to qualify for the Final. There she will have to deal with Miyahara and Pogorilaya as well as two Americans who will likely get the benefit of the doubt on underrotation calls. A big challenge awaits Gabby if she wants to get to the Final.

Mai Mihara. Unfortunately, Mihara has drawn Zagitova in both events, which makes her road to the Final much tougher than it could be. She’ll also deal with top Canadians in both events who both beat her with a significant margin at the World Championships. If Mihara wants to make a statement by qualifying for the GPF, she cannot afford to make a mistake.

Elena Radionova. She made the GPF last year, but her draw this year as well as her current form will make it difficult to repeat. She’s drawn an on fire Higuchi in both events, and due to her lower ceiling, could finish as low as 7th or 8th in China even with a reasonable performance.

Karen Chen/Ashley Wagner. The bad thing about their draws aren’t really the fields that they’ve been put in—it’s the fact that they both are competing in the same events. These two are America’s top two, and any possibility of both of them competing at the Final are now gone. They must navigate a reasonably tough draw to get to the final- they’ve drawn Pogorilaya in both events, who has a higher cap than either of them, and must deal with Osmond and Sotskova in Canada and Daleman and Miyahara in America.

GPF Entry Predictions:

1. Medvedeva
2. Zagitova
3. Osmond
4. Higuchi
5. Mihara
6. Miyahara

___
7. Daleman
8. Pogorilaya
9. Sotskova
10. Wagner

Three Japanese ladies in the Final?!?!? Stranger things have happened in ladies’ figure skating.

What do you guys think, who do you guys have in the GPF? Your guess is as good as mine.

ETA: Updates to Analysis after Skate Canada

With two rounds of the Grand Prix done, I thought I'd do a brief update on everyone's chances for the GPF and how things may shake out over the next few grand prix events. I'll edit this into the original post as well.

Likely in: Evgenia Medvedeva, Kaetlyn Osmond.

Having won their first events, both Medvedeva and Osmond can finish as low as fourth in their next event and surely make it into the field- even fifth would give them somewhat of a chance. Medvedeva will win in Japan barring a catastrophe, and Osmond will surely finish fourth or higher even if she falters.

One foot in the door: Carolina Kostner, Maria Sotskova.

Carolina Kostner: Her second place finish in Russia was a surprise to many, given Higuchi's recent form. It does wonders for her GPF chances. In Japan, a second place finish would lock up a spot, and a third place finish would give her a reasonable chance, especially considering how high her combined score was in Russia. Potential competitors in her next event at the NHK Trophy include Medvedeva, Nagasu, Miyahara, and Tsurskaya. As I mentioned in my original post, a podium finish here is very doable for Carolina.

Maria Sotskova: Maria had a good showing in Canada, where she finished second behind Kaetlyn Osmond with two solid performances. As is the case with Kostner, a silver in her second event puts her into the final, whereas a bronze gives her a reasonable chance. However, her combined score of 192 is relatively low, and in a potential tiebreaker situation it is likely she would not be in a favourable position- she will want to avoid a third place finish if possible and fight for every point regardless. In France she will compete against Osmond, Mihara, Tuktamysheva, and Zagitova; finishing ahead of Osmond or Zagitova will be difficult even if she is clean, since she is prone to underrotating. She will need to be clean and hope the judges rule in her favour.

In with a shot: Wakaba Higuchi, Ashley Wagner.

Wakaba Higuchi: It is rare that you score 207 in a grand prix event and come up with only bronze. Higuchi will need a first place finish in China to directly qualify; second place gives her a good chance and third place gives her an outside shot at the GPF. China is a difficult field that includes Daleman, Radionova, Honda, Mihara, Tuktamysheva, and Zagitova. Radionova, Honda, and Tuktamysheva don't appear to be in the kind of form to beat Higuchi, but Daleman, Mihara, and Zagitova are all capable of 200+ scores at their best. Because Wakaba scored so highly in Russia, and because a theoretical silver medal in this stacked field would mean she did well, I think a silver medal would be good enough for Higuchi to qualify for the final. A bronze medal will put her in real jeopardy of missing out on the GPF.

Ashley Wagner: She back-doored a third place finish this week in Canada. 183, however, is a very low score for a bronze medal and would put her in all kinds of trouble if she were in any sort of tiebreaker when all six events are complete. Given this, I don't think a bronze will be enough for Ashley at Skate America and she needs second or higher for any chance. Even with a second place finish it will likely be difficult. She faces Sakamoto, Chen, Pogorilaya, Daleman, Miyahara, and Tsurskaya in her final event. Sakamoto finished 5th in Russia but still had a higher score than Ashley in Canada- in fact, 8 ladies in Russia had a higher combined score than Ashley did in Canada. Good news for Ashley is that she skates at home- whether or not she will get the calls she needs remains to be seen.

Barely breathing: Elena Radionova, Kaori Sakamoto, Marin Honda.

Radionova is mathematically alive, but she would need a first or second place finish in China to keep her hopes afloat. Given her form and a stacked China field, I don't see this happening.

Sakamoto and Honda both would need to win their second events for any chance. Honda, like Radionova, skates this week in China and faces a difficult field. A win is likely too much to hope for. Sakamoto will have an outside shot at a win in America if she delivers two perfect programs and gets a lot of help, but again, it's not something you would bet on.

Notables that are already out: Karen Chen, Mirai Nagasu, Anna Pogorilaya (and everyone else I have not mentioned so far who has already competed in an event).

Yet to skate: Gabby Daleman, Mai Mihara, Satoko Miyahara, Polina Tsurskaya, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Alina Zagitova.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Agree with a fair amount - but I'm not sure why you'd choose to label Pogorilaya a "contender" over Wagner, given as you pointed out her spectacular meltdown and the fact nobody has seen her since her spectacular meltdown. Pogorilaya does not have a higher ceiling then Wagner when clean - unless she picked up a 3axel while finding herself this summer, she does the same content - 7 triples and 2 double axels as Wagner (same as all of the other ladies except for Mirai).

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Agree with a fair amount - but I'm not sure why you'd choose to label Pogorilaya a "contender" over Wagner, given as you pointed out her spectacular meltdown and the fact nobody has seen her since her spectacular meltdown. Pogorilaya does not have a higher ceiling then Wagner when clean - unless she picked up a 3axel while finding herself this summer, she does the same content - 7 triples and 2 double axels as Wagner (same as all of the other ladies except for Mirai).

It's a matter of opinion how you choose to judge Pogorilaya and predict her success this year. I chose to look at the World Championships as an anomaly given how well she performed the rest of the season. You could argue differently.

By ceiling I mean attainable ceiling. Wagner has scored over 200 twice in her career in legitimate international competition, and not since her home world championships. Pogorilaya broke 210 four times just last season. Wagner is prone to underrotation especially when she is not skating at home, whereas Pogorilaya does not have that issue.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Daleman is not the top seed in Cup of China imo, it's Zagitova. Daleman performance in Finlandia Trophy show her inconsistency... also her PCS won't help her when she bombs unlike Carolina who always get 70+ PCS in LP. also i'd change Radionova as contenders, her form is also not consistent, as you can see in her Senior B events. I'd say she and Mirai have more or less same chance to make it into podium. Mirai consistency is better than ever imo, also she rarely falls with her 3A and no UR, just step out/2-footed. Hope she can get it clean like in her practices though. In SA also Wagner definitely a podium favourites, home skater will get a boost you know unless she bomb with multiple falls or pop... in TdF also Zagitova is the top seed imo, she is much more consistent than Osmond and even with not so high PCS she still get much more TES esp in LP, she'll score 145+ if clean which is more than Osmond 142 PB, the event is in France also not Canada lol. Also if you put Tuktamysheva as contender idk why you put Tsurskaya as long shot? technically Tsurskaya is better than Tuktamysheva she also once a top junior skater, if she's on then she can make it to podium, but her form is unknown since her last performance in JW, just as unknown as Pogorilaya form since we haven't seen her yet but you still put her as podium fave

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

Anna's been in ice-shows since Worlds, so it's not like she disappeared in shame and never showed her face anywhere. She will compete this weekend at the Russian Cup. So we might get an idea of her form. I think it's nice that the OP gives Satoko the benefit of doubt but Anna - not so much.

All in all this seems like a déja vu for Anna. She's been declared done and over with several times before only to come back again. Let's see what happens at Skate Canada.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Daniel1998, thank you. That was really enjoyable to read.

I agree that Daleman has it tough. In the Cup of China, there's the likely gold medal winner Zagitova, plus Mihara and Higuchi, who both seem to be doing well this season.

What can really change the situation as you've written it, is the condition of Pogorilaya and Miyahara. I'm not so sure that they're really contenders. The lack of news this close to the Grand Prix starting, is discouraging. Pogorilaya not participating at the Russian test skates makes her even more of a question mark. I really hope that this will not be the case.

I also hope at least one American makes it to the final, but that will be tough.

pearly

Record Breaker
Pogorilaya not participating at the Russian test skates makes her even more of a question mark. I really hope that this will not be the case.

Has she withdrawn? She was scheduled to skate today. Her Fan Fest suggest that she has withdrawn, but her name is still listed in today's starting order for SP.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Has she withdrawn? She was scheduled to skate today. Her Fan Fest suggest that she has withdrawn, but her name is still listed in today's starting order for SP.

I was talking about the test skates in September :)

nekun

On the Ice
CoC and TdF known as it bad Ice condition, surely that not bennefit for big jumpers like Daleman and Osmond

it seem Zagitova will be unbeatable by anyone but Medvedeva

Weathergal

Medalist
I noticed you only had five "winners of the draw" and didn't include Higuchi, although you do have her going to the GPF Final. Was that intentional? Just curious.

Also I'm not sure I see three Japanese ladies in the GPF Final. But if that did happen, that would be so odd knowing that only two can go to the Olympics even though they made the GPF Final (and theoretically it wouldn't even HAVE to be two of three who made the GPF Final, although most likely it would be).

Plus I don't see Kostner as quite the podium lock you do, her massive PCS inflation at Finlandia not withstanding. Her skating is beautiful, but her technical flaws might cost her more in the face of stiffer competition.

Miyahara, in particular, looks the most vulnerable to me - in part because of her recovery from injury. I can see Sotskova edging out Pogorilaya in CoC and Tsurskaya and/or Nagasu edging her out at NHK.

I enjoyed reading your analysis and look forward to reading it for other disciplines as well if you decide to do them.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I noticed you only had five "winners of the draw" and didn't include Higuchi, although you do have her going to the GPF Final. Was that intentional? Just curious.

Also I'm not sure I see three Japanese ladies in the GPF Final. But if that did happen, that would be so odd knowing that only two can go to the Olympics even though they made the GPF Final (and theoretically it wouldn't even HAVE to be two of three who made the GPF Final, although most likely it would be).

Plus I don't see Kostner as quite the podium lock you do, her massive PCS inflation at Finlandia not withstanding. Her skating is beautiful, but her technical flaws might cost her more in the face of stiffer competition.

Miyahara, in particular, looks the most vulnerable to me - in part because of her recovery from injury. I can see Sotskova edging out Pogorilaya in CoC and Tsurskaya and/or Nagasu edging her out at NHK.

I enjoyed reading your analysis and look forward to reading it for other disciplines as well if you decide to do them.

I don't think Higuchi has an easy draw- her first event isn't that daunting but she could finish anywhere from first to seventh at Cup of China, which is the toughest field of the six. I included her in my list not because she had an easy draw but just because I think she's going to show up in a big way this year.

Miyahara and Pogorilaya are really big question marks and your guess is as good as mine when it comes to how well they'll do this year. I've given both of them the benefit of the doubt, but who knows what's going to happen.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Is Daleman still considered a top contender? I don’t see how she’ll get a PCS boost with her lp this season. Even the World bronze medal didn’t make judges inflate her scores, so I’m curious to what’ll happen with her this season.

She has about 2 weeks to work on her Gladiator lp until cup of China; do u think it can get better??

tjb

Match Penalty
i'm expecting polina tsurskaya to win at skate america. and both canadian ladies are not qualifying for the final.
that's my equally deep analysis:

1.)medvedeva
2.)zagitova
3.)tsurskaya
4.)higuchi
5.)mihara
6.)honda, nagasu or satoko

tyrion14

Spectator
I agree with most of this, but I think (and hope) that you are underestimating Nagasu. She's been much more consistent this summer while Radionova, for example, seems to be regressing. Ideally, Nagasu would be ahead of Kostner but her 70+ pcs will take her places. Also, Russian Cup is showing us that Tsurskaya is back on form which could shake things up a bit.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I think Medvedeva, Zagitova and Osmond are the saffest bet (but still we should keeping in mind the presure is big and they are humans after all). For remaining three spots it will be a battle, but for now Higuchi, Mihara and Sotskova looks they are in best shape to get in. Ashley and Caro are the dark horses and i think they could easily be in (with clean-ish skating). Satoko, Anna and Polina are still training to be back on track and they will probably be in best shape later for nationals, but you never know with the injuries problems (and in juries problems) :biggrin:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I think Medvedeva, Zagitova and Osmond are the saffest bet (but still we should keeping in mind the presure is big and they are humans after all). For remaining three spots it will be a battle, but for now Higuchi, Mihara and Sotskova looks they are in best shape to get in. Ashley and Caro are the dark horses and i think they could easily be in (with clean-ish skating). Satoko, Anna and Polina are still training to be back on track and they will probably be in best shape later for nationals, but you never know with the injuries problems (and in juries problems) :biggrin:

I see what you did there ;)

Nika09

On the Ice
I don't think Kaori or Gaby don't have any chances for GPF, not at all.
It's obvious that Gaby considering as No2 Canadian Lady skater, but she isn't (IMO she's better performer and has more charisma than Osmond). She had surgery recently but it seems won't affect her performances too much.
As for Kaori, her LP is amazing (it doesn't matter nowadays actually but anyway) and she's doing that super popular "all backloading thing" in SP. So if she will be consistent in her jumps, why not?