200+ hours of skating on NBC channels! | Golden Skate

200+ hours of skating on NBC channels!

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
NBC has just issued a revised schedule for the 2017-18 season, which includes 200+ hours of coverage (much of it live) on its various channels. Yes. most will be on cable and not "regular" TV, but this includes the GP events & GPF, starting with Rostelecom live on the Olympic channel this week. (Olympic Channel is ramping up, starting tonight, by showing past broadcasts of skating from Sochi and 2017 Worlds). Below is a link to the schedule that has just been posted:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/events?id=84206

It doesn't list its actual Olympic coverage; I'm guessing because this announcement was in conjunction with USFS and not IOC.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I tell you what, I hope this is true for all time zones. Lord knows how many times skating events have either been pre-empted, or canceled due to a longer running sports event. My question is...Is this NBC, or NBC Sports we're talking about. In Cal, they are 2 different channels.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I tell you what, I hope this is true for all time zones. Lord knows how many times skating events have either been pre-empted, or canceled due to a longer running sports event. My question is...Is this NBC, or NBC Sports we're talking about. In Cal, they are 2 different channels.

This involves a multitude of NBC channels; if you look at the schedule you'll see the channel listed. Much of the GP coverage is showing live on the new Olympic Channel; very little chance of anything getting pre-empted there, especially the events that are located in Asia, which would not conflict with "prime time" in the U.S.

Ross74

Medalist
Thanks for the heads-up! I just tuned in to the Olympic Channel to see what was on the schedule for tonight (4 hrs of Sochi ice dance and pairs) and got sucked in to watching Ladies World Gymnastics from Montreal. I've read all the discussion on the results, but haven't watched it yet. Looks like a couch potato day/week! :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... It doesn't list its actual Olympic coverage; I'm guessing because this announcement was in conjunction with USFS and not IOC.

For those interested in 2018 OWG streaming, the NBC Olympics site does has a streaming schedule, although a caveat is that proof of a cable subscription prob. (IMO) will be required (same as in the past).

The Olympic Games will return to the networks and digital platforms of NBC Universal when the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games commence in February 2018....

NBCOlympics.com
Every Olympic event will be available to stream live and on-demand on NBCOlympics.com, along with a wide spectrum of highlights and video features.

NBC Sports app
Watch on your mobile device, tablet or connected TV by downloading the NBC Sports app, where you'll find every Olympic event available to stream live or on-demand, along with the same immersive library of highlights and video features. .....

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-watch-2018-pyeongchang-olympic-games

http://www.nbcolympics.com/live-stream-schedule#

Another caveat is that I think the Opening Ceremony once again will not be streamed.
Don't see it on the streaming schedule.

ETA (on Mar 31):

Very belatedly coming back to add an update/correction for posterity. Turns out that NBC did stream the Opening Ceremony. 2018 was the first time for NBC.

... starting with Rostelecom live on the Olympic channel this week. (Olympic Channel is ramping up, starting tonight, by showing past broadcasts of skating from Sochi and 2017 Worlds). ...

The Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA schedule for this week is here:

Includes the listings for 2017 Rostelecom, 2017 Worlds, and 2014 Sochi.

ETA:
Forgot to say that for Rostelecom:
Andrea Joyce calls the action on Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, alongside 2011 U.S. figure skating champion Ryan Bradley. Joyce will be joined by 2014 Olympic ice dance champion Charlie White for the ice dance competitions.

temadd

Final Flight
I have directv and the Olympic Channel is not in the channel package I have. I would have to pay $20 MORE per month to get it and it's not that I have a cheapo package. What a racket.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have directv and the Olympic Channel is not in the channel package I have. I would have to pay $20 MORE per month to get it and it's not that I have a cheapo package. What a racket.

I also have DirecTV and had to upgrade for Olympic Channel. Considering all the hours of live coverage of just the GP events alone (and all the great repeat coverage of past Olympics and Worlds), I consider it a huge bargain. I gave up a latte a week (4 x $5) for it.

zara one

Spectator
I have cable but don't get the Olympic Channel. My question is, is the Olympic Channel going to show me anything throughout the season that I can't see on Ice Network or NBC? With the Olympic skating events in prime time in the U.S. I am doubting that we will get to see coverage of every skater on NBC or the Olympic Channel.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have cable but don't get the Olympic Channel. My question is, is the Olympic Channel going to show me anything throughout the season that I can't see on Ice Network or NBC? With the Olympic skating events in prime time in the U.S. I am doubting that we will get to see coverage of every skater on NBC or the Olympic Channel.

There is quite a bit of overlap among all three, but also some key differences:

NBC (the "regular" channel) usually shows only a few events live & for Grand Prix has been known to delay a week or more. Does not show all skaters; often edited heavily to just a few. Usually has commentary throughout (Tara, Johnny, etc.). Few rebroadcasts.

NBCsn (available in most lower-level cable packages). Often shows live coverage of Grand Prix & other events that are tape-delayed on regular NBC. Shows more skaters, but not all. Usually has commentary from B-team (for example, Ryan & Andrea instead pf Johnny & Tara). Some rebroadcasts over the same weekend.

NBC's new Olympic channel (usually requires upgrade to higher cable tier for about $20 more per month): Shows live (even GP events in Asia!); judging from recent world gymnastics, expect to see many more athletes than on "regular" NBC, but not all. Commentary throughout; frequent repeats. Also shows excellent "retro" coverage of past events; this week, it's Sochi skating & 2017 Worlds. Excellent broadcast quality.

Ice Network ($49 a year): Shows live ALL skaters & all major competitions (except Olympics; need NBC channels for that); archived for later viewing. Also shows (either on-demand or live) U.S. regionals, sectionals & ALL events at nationals (not just seniors). Large database of videos. A few events have some commentary or "Ice Desk" live analysis before/after events. Occasional issues with very poor stream quality and/or outages, though it seems to be getting better.

So .... to answer your question: I think most skating fans want LIVE coverage. To get that for anything other than U.S. nationals & Olympics, you'll need Olympic channel and/or Ice Network. If you don't want both, get Ice Network if you want to see all skaters & don't care about commentary OR upgrade to Olympic channel for the top skaters & commentary. Note: Live coverage also will be available during Olympics on NBC's online site; not sure if a cable subscription will be required.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is quite a bit of overlap among all three, but also some key differences:

NBC (the "regular" channel) usually shows only a few events live & for Grand Prix has been known to delay a week or more. Does not show all skaters; often edited heavily to just a few. Usually has commentary throughout (Tara, Johnny, etc.). Few rebroadcasts.

NBCsn (available in most lower-level cable packages). Often shows live coverage of Grand Prix & other events that are tape-delayed on regular NBC. Shows more skaters, but not all. Usually has commentary from B-team (for example, Ryan & Andrea instead pf Johnny & Tara). Some rebroadcasts over the same weekend.

NBC's new Olympic channel (usually requires upgrade to higher cable tier for about $20 more per month): Shows live (even GP events in Asia!); judging from recent world gymnastics, expect to see many more athletes than on "regular" NBC, but not all. Commentary throughout; frequent repeats. Also shows excellent "retro" coverage of past events; this week, it's Sochi skating & 2017 Worlds. Excellent broadcast quality.

Ice Network ($49 a year): Shows live ALL skaters & all major competitions (except Olympics; need NBC channels for that); archived for later viewing. Also shows (either on-demand or live) U.S. regionals, sectionals & ALL events at nationals (not just seniors). Large database of videos. A few events have some commentary or "Ice Desk" live analysis before/after events. Occasional issues with very poor stream quality and/or outages, though it seems to be getting better.

So .... to answer your question: I think most skating fans want LIVE coverage. To get that for anything other than U.S. nationals & Olympics, you'll need Olympic channel and/or Ice Network. If you don't want both, get Ice Network if you want to see all skaters & don't care about commentary OR upgrade to Olympic channel for the top skaters & commentary. Note: Live coverage also will be available during Olympics on NBC's online site; not sure if a cable subscription will be required.

The Olympic channel isn't available from all cable companies. I have no way to get it because mine doesn't carry it. It looks to be mainly an NBC/Comcast thing.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The Olympic channel isn't available from all cable companies. I have no way to get it because mine doesn't carry it. It looks to be mainly an NBC/Comcast thing.

Keep checking; some are still adding it. I get it on DirecTV, which afaik is not NBC/Comcast.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
I have often wondered why we don't get coverage of the Japanese Nationals in America. Figure skating is huge over there and fans in America who follow figure skating enough to actively seek it out would definitely watch. Why would it be so much harder to tape than the European Championships? I'm lost and also bitter. I love the Japanese ladies.

b-man

Final Flight
I have cable with NBC sports network. No skating at all scheduled for tomorrow. I thought I would get to see Rostelecom on real TV for once. Foolish me, expecting something for my $110 a month.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have cable with NBC sports network. No skating at all scheduled for tomorrow. I thought I would get to see Rostelecom on real TV for once. Foolish me, expecting something for my $110 a month.

Which cable provider?

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States

Did you look for Olympic Channel? It's an NBC channel, but not listed with NBC in its name. And with most providers, it's a high number (624 for my provider, DirecTV), not in the 200s like most sports channels.