Eteri Tutberidze interview by MFK 10/2017 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview by MFK 10/2017

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
@russianfan suggested to cross-post it from Fan Fests. Here we go.

Eteri's recent interview, translated to English: https://pastebin.com/raw/gy6s82Gg

TL;DR:
* To reach the top level you need to work constantly from the youngest age. Coaching should be planned for 10 years ahead.
* It's easier to raise the bar by your own than trying to catch up with others.
* The technical evolution is far from over. In 3 years ladies' quads will become a routine.
* Once you get out of the habit of falling, it becomes difficult to learn new jumps. You must never stop learning new jumps.
* Falls are much safer physically and mentally for little kids.
* Russian boys are weak-willed because of lack of competition. They don't need to struggle to qualify.
* Eteri is an authoritarian coach on the rink, but a weak woman in everyday life.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Let's say it honestly: Eteri is a bad coach. Look at number of her students which got injured. Her technique is flawed. All her students are prerotating their jumps, they start to rotate their body before jump up. This is cheating. This is easier. Her backloading is killing the program. It's not choreo, it's just skating around, and then jump by jump. Meh. All of her skaters are doing the same - it's like clone factory. Tanos/Ripons - it's ugly. Many of her skaters don't have lutz, only flutz. And about programs... Their pantomimes are awful. It's painful to watch. This school is doomed. Sigh.

But you could just post the whole interview here, it's not so long.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Let's say it honestly: Eteri is a bad coach. Look at number of her students which got injured. Her technique is flawed. All her students are prerotating their jumps, they start to rotate their body before jump up. This is cheating. This is easier. Her backloading is killing the program. It's not choreo, it's just skating around, and then jump by jump. Meh. All of her skaters are doing the same - it's like clone factory. Tanos/Ripons - it's ugly. Many of her skaters don't have lutz, only flutz. And about programs... Their pantomimes are awful. It's painful to watch. This school is doomed. Sigh.

Well some things are objective, like the pre-rotating, but Eteri is not the only coach doing that! Many of your other suggestions are rather subjective--I'd rather see a program built around pantomime and than a program that has nothing to it except for some pretty music. The backloading works so well when done appropriately, see Zagi or Panenkova or Kostornaya for prime examples. I love the arm variations and wish that there were more of them for her skaters to do, because they will do them. And don't even get me started on how they're all the same... For goodness' sake, we have an entire thread about that! They are not, and their individual personalities get translated very well onto the ice.

And Eteri's injured skaters are often in the spotlight more than those of other coaches because Eteri is a more prominent coach with many skaters and because people want yet more things to hate on her with.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
I hope Eteri will also dominate Men's skating in a few years. Heck, you might include pair and dance as well. At least we'll have skaters who are consistent and strong willed. I'm sick of skaters who are inconsistent or have weak mentality (Pogorilaya and Nagasu are prime examples). I want champions who actually have a champion mentality, who can will themselves to perform at the most crucial moments and actually win. It has little to do with form or technique but primarily with mentality and it's the coaches who can instill that. This year's JGP is testament to Eteri's (and her team) success of instilling this winning mentality to her skaters.Whether you like it or not, Eteri skaters are here to stay.

tjb

Match Penalty
Well some things are objective, like the pre-rotating, but Eteri is not the only coach doing that! Many of your other suggestions are rather subjective--I'd rather see a program built around pantomime and than a program that has nothing to it except for some pretty music. The backloading works so well when done appropriately, see Zagi or Panenkova or Kostornaya for prime examples. I love the arm variations and wish that there were more of them for her skaters to do, because they will do them. And don't even get me started on how they're all the same... For goodness' sake, we have an entire thread about that! They are not, and their individual personalities get translated very well onto the ice.

And Eteri's injured skaters are often in the spotlight more than those of other coaches because Eteri is a more prominent coach with many skaters and because people want yet more things to hate on her with.

it's an obvious sarcasm from puremagic. he just summarize on what all this people are constantly saying in various threads.
but i think that a couple of people are put their thumbs up on his ridiculous post, because they actually agree with this:laugh:

tars

Record Breaker
* The technical evolution is far from over. In 3 years ladies' quads will become a routine.
Not gonna happen, no chance for that in real world. :whack:

Grin

Medalist
it's an obvious sarcasm from puremagic. he just summarize on what all this people are constantly saying in various threads.
but i think that a couple of people are put their thumbs up on his ridiculous post, because they actually agree with this:laugh:
I liked his post because I appreciate his joke

tars

Record Breaker
I think people said the same about 4 and 5 quad freeskates in men's.

Maybe she means in HER camp, quads will become routine. :biggrin:
Tbh., half a year ago, I thought women will never jump a clean quad, then the girl from my avatar "happened" and I'm not so sure anymore. :think:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I really appreciated this interview, and I share thegreendestiny's view that we need someone so focused and serious in the sport, someone capable of producing champions who have the mindset of a champion, not just champion skills. Falls are just as exciting as clean programs in certain situations, but reliable and consistent skaters attract fans and are more easily loved by them.
And, kudos to her and her team for being among the few who really understand in depth the intricacy of the IJS and use it shrewdly!

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia

Many people quickly look through such posts anyway. Also who knows, maybe my English is that bad that the tl;dr is a must. :)

i think that a couple of people are put their thumbs up on his ridiculous post, because they actually agree with this:laugh:

Poe's law in action. I should try it too some day. :biggrin:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Oh okay then. Harder to get online than in real conversatin, I suppose.