Coomes and Buckland on the comeback trail | Golden Skate

Coomes and Buckland on the comeback trail

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When her right kneecap shattered in a bad fall during training in June 2016, Penny Coomes was told that her competitive figure skating career was over. However, the British ice dancer and her long-time partner, Nicholas Buckland, were not ready to throw in the towel. Coomes had to go through two surgeries and long rehab and the 2014 European bronze medalists missed the entire pre-Olympic season.

More

I'm so darn proud of this team! Of course many athletes go through injuries and work hard to comeback. I think it's really difficult when two people are involved. What are your thoughts on how they have fared so far? Do you like their FD? Here's hoping they will get a GP assignment!

Weathergal

Medalist
When her right kneecap shattered in a bad fall during training in June 2016, Penny Coomes was told that her competitive figure skating career was over. However, the British ice dancer and her long-time partner, Nicholas Buckland, were not ready to throw in the towel. Coomes had to go through two surgeries and long rehab and the 2014 European bronze medalists missed the entire pre-Olympic season.

More

I'm so darn proud of this team! Of course many athletes go through injuries and work hard to comeback. I think it's really difficult when two people are involved. What are your thoughts on how they have fared so far? Do you like their FD? Here's hoping they will get a GP assignment!

I think they're doing very well! It was so heartbreaking to hear about Penny's knee injury and especially so since they seemed to be on an upswing before then. I know it's still early in the season, but I think they look strong. I am just amazed how good they look! What a tough gal she is - and he seems incredibly supportive! They might be even better than before.

For anyone who's interested, here's a brief video that summarizes her recovery from shortly after the accident to three months before Nebelhorn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985w3T0gUJk

hesaidshesaidxp

Rinkside
Really liked them since the Sochi Olympics and loved their butterfly and hurricane program from a few seasons back. Can't wait to see them this season! That injury was so terrible, it's amazing how she's been able to work so hard and be able to compete again.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That is some video. You go girl. If I'm ever in a brawl, I want you on my side.

Here's to a happy and HEALTHY season! All the best...