Russian article - Plushenko, Navka, Totmianina | Golden Skate

Russian article - Plushenko, Navka, Totmianina

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Here is a Russian article, translation is mine.

September 18, 2004, 18:34
Figure Skating. Plushenko got better, Navka met Savicheva, and Totmianina was in a movie.

“I am currently perfectly healthy”, emphasized famous Russian figure skater Evgeny Plushenko in an exclusive ITAR-TASS interview. Traumas and illness plagued the three time world champion and the 2002 Olympics silver medalist throughout last season. At the test skates for Russian figure skaters he showed the viewers his new program.

Plushenko noted, “I am healthy, but I do have to follow doctors’ recommendations. For instance, I’ll have to cut down on the number of championships”. That’s why out of the three planned Grand Prix events, two are under question. “I will definitely compete at the Russian event, but I can’t say anything definite about Japan or Canada”, noted Plushenko. This year, Evgeny started training in July. “There is no hurry. There is still time to work on the quad”. In Odincevo, near Moscow, the athlete performed in his sweat suit. “The costumes aren’t ready yet, and the programs are not fully finished either”, commented Evgeny.

All stars of Russian figure skating attended the test skate. The ice dancing world champion Tatiana Navka noted, “Roman and I are not yet showing the full new programs, though we aren’t afraid of anyone stealing our ‘trumps’”. But the duo delighted the audience with their new creation, a program to the song of Julia Savicheva. The skaters talked about how the program came about, “We recently came to Saint Petersburg, where we had to perform to the songs of pop stars. We got to work with Savicheva. It took us 20 minutes to come up with this program”. The team is satisfied with the preparations for the new season. “Those test skates are obviously very important, but it’s not always easy to be there”, noted Navka. “For example, we arrived here on Tuesday, and we have to leave on Sunday. It’s too bad that it doesn’t leave us time to see anything, tough we are going to go the theater. I guess that will be it”. The Dance team Navka and Kostomarov will compete at Japanese, French, and Russian Grand Prix events.

Figure skating pair Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin delighted the audience with new programs. “Lori Nichols (who worked with American Michelle Kwan and Canadian pair Jamie Salle and David Pelletier) helped us a lot with our Long Program. Maxim and I participated in the creating of the short, “Ave Maria”. We came up with the concept a long time ago, and we finally got to implement that idea”, Totmianina said. “I am always nervous when first showing the audience the new creations. The pair is now in a good shape. They started training on June 15. Before that, Tatiana got to act in a short movie. “The script was not written specifically for me. It was just a part of a deaf figure skater. Sure, I speak English, but not well enough to act in American movies”, Totmianina laughed. “The short movie ‘Zamboni’ was filmed on the rink in Chicago. It was a brand new experience. I liked it, but it was too easy. After everything the athletes do on ice, acting in a movie with many re-takes is pure joy. The skater also noted that now, with the new judging system, every skate of the program is important. “It is like a master class, where one can get recommendations on getting the best mark”, supposes Totmianina. “The new system won’t affect our results because our programs are already very difficult. However, the ‘mathematical’ approach takes away from the creativity. To put it bluntly, we know how much each element is worth, and thus decide whether to include it in our performance”.

Source: ITAR-TASS

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Great article. However.....

If Plushenko is perfectly healthy, why do the doctors have those limits on him? He is not even sure he can do more than one GP. That is not a sign of good health. He is hiding something.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
On FSU it was translated that his doctors were against flying.

> He was advised by his doctors to limit the number of airflights, so he wasn't sure he'd go to NHK and Skate Canada this year. >

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=16879

For Cup of Russia he does not need to do that. On the other hand if he has shows in Budapest...? Well, he is skating in those shows because of wanting to donate the money, isn´t he?

Marjaana

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Jaana said:

> He was advised by his doctors to limit the number of airflights, so he wasn't sure he'd go to NHK and Skate Canada this year. >

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=16879

For Cup of Russia he does not need to do that. On the other hand if he has shows in Budapest...? Well, he is skating in those shows because of wanting to donate the money, isn´t he?

Marjaana

But a St Petersburg-Budapest flight is MUCH shorter than an international flight. Also, he could take the train, as he did when he went to Bulgaria earlier this summer.

Laura :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Thanks Pitchka - And news of Irina?
I translated the whole article. I am not sure if she did not attend the test skate, or just chose not to speak to ITAR-TASS.

Evdokia

On the Ice
Thanks for the news, Edvokia and for linking those pictures. Irina seemingly in good shape (hope so). T&M look terrific in acquamarine. I hope I got the color correct. I am slightly color blind. Plush with a better hair cut. Shubin looking like Abt. The Russians are looking good, but very sorry to read of the injuries, and Griazev is so promising.

Klimkin like Lambiel are my two top guys in men's skating and both with injuries. :cry: Oh well, let's just wait and see.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Hair Cut

Having trouble finding the picture that shows Plush's new hair cut... can someone provide directions?
Linny

Linny

Final Flight
Pictures

Thanx Mathman for the easier link. Haircut looks pretty much the same, a bit shorter, but not really styled. Guess there aren't as many styling options for men as for women. Linny

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Jaana said:

> He was advised by his doctors to limit the number of airflights, so he wasn't sure he'd go to NHK and Skate Canada this year.

Marjaana

Smart doctor! Long airflights greatly increase the chances of developing deep vein thrombosis. Also with the knee problem sitting on a plane is just uncomfortable.

Ximena

Final Flight
I imagine that by the time we see Plush, his hair will look like this
http://www.kingonice.com/photo7/newspic9-04.jpg which was how it looked in Spain in August, right now it's quite shorter

If Plushenko is perfectly healthy, why do the doctors have those limits on him? He is not even sure he can do more than one GP. That is not a sign of good health. He is hiding something.
During the summer while he was on L&A tour, Plush was hospitalized and among other things, he had a problem with his audition and doctors told him that it was because of the numbers of flights, according to the interview Plush said that the doctors were shocked by the number of times he has flown over the years. In that moment, doctors forbid him to flight for at least three months and I imagine now that's why doctors had advised them to cut down the flights. It has nothing to do with his previous injuries on his legs

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Mathman said:
s).

I know Princess Leppard is having a fit! :laugh:

Mathman

yes, she had a total meltdown and had to go shopping to deal with it. :D But I LOVE the picture Ximena posted, VERY sexy, and really not that much longer than it is now. Wheee!

Laura :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Ximena said:
During the summer while he was on L&A tour, Plush was hospitalized and among other things, he had a problem with his audition and doctors told him that it was because of the numbers of flights, according to the interview Plush said that the doctors were shocked by the number of times he has flown over the years. In that moment, doctors forbid him to flight for at least three months and I imagine now that's why doctors had advised them to cut down the flights. It has nothing to do with his previous injuries on his legs

Huh??? He auditioned in the hospital for what? :confused:

Ximena

Final Flight
Piel said:
Huh??? He auditioned in the hospital for what? :confused:
LOL, I'm sorry my english failed my there, I mean his auditive system, I don't know if that the word. It has to do with his hearing, ears ... I really don't know the word in english!! sorry. The thing is that whatever that problem was, if it gets worse it can really messed Plush's balance and well an skater without balance, that's just terrible!!

Oh yes Laura, that picture is just Wohoo, I finally convinced a friend of mine just how gorgeous Plush really is, she still can get over it. :love: