"There will never be anyone like...!" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"There will never be anyone like...!"

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick Chan - if you want details on why, read any post I've written in his Fan Fest. ;) :)

I also agree with all the other skaters mentioned, and I'd also add Yuka Sato, Scott Hamilton, Midori Ito. And LuLu (was she mentioned already?). I'll get off the thread before I think of five or ten more! :laugh:

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I understand Russian language. Yagudin thought Evgeni was "all remade", Evgeni had enough injuries. Even Ottavio Cinquanta was amased, that an athlete with the same injuries was sent again. I won't discuss Evgeni. :)

The problem is..... this is not true. :)

But he said: #RaiSport2 Cinquanta: "#Plushenko deserves all our respect, he has given more to #figureskating than many other figureskaters put together"

https://twitter.com/HBladesHPassion/status/424170505000595456 -

Last edited:

Tyranid

Final Flight
Elena Igorevna Radionova.

Incredible charisma. Incredible likeability. Her emerald oceans, her face, her figure... immaculate.

Incredible popularity - Elena's youtube video views, despite her struggles and failures, are among the largest and rival the top non-Olympians including phenom Medvedeva. At the 2015 Barcelona GPF she placed 2'nd in fan votes for Gala request behind home-town star Javier Fernandez. Elena only got a bronze metal at this competition. Evgenia Medvedeva won it.

The ability to sell (or at least semi-sell to all the sports.ru Radi haters) a horrid, cheesy Titanic program, given her sloppiness, given her jump issues, given a large and FAST groth spurt is unique.

Being unique means that there will never be anyone like Elena Igorevna Radionova.

... and she's got her whole life ahead of her. :)

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Evgeni Plushenko

edited:

-his talent
-his skating
-his medals
-his achievements
-his diversity on ice
-his charisma
-his dedication to the skating
-his dedication to the sports
-his longevity in skating
-his longevity in landing of quads ( 1997-2016!!!!!)
-his longevity in landing of other hard jumps for ex 3A ( 1996-2016)
-his personality:
-originality
-humour on ice and off ice
-courage
-sincerity
-sexyness
-cuteness
-his look
-his attractiveness
-many people's inexplicable and incomprehensible love
-people's hate
-his freedom
-his independence
-his inspiration for the fans
-his inspiration for the skaters
-his connect with the audience
-his influence on the viewers
-his influence on the figure skating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGRZLmIEIw - Impressive Quotes of Evgeni Plushenko

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
No matter how many Russian Diva's come down the line, It all started with my wife, Maria Butyrskaya! She was sexy, feisty, and loved her fans. I don't know if she's still the oldest World Champion in history but she certainly was in 1999. Perseverance and Determination were her only friends after she was released by the Russian Federation in 1993. I love this picture....http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/5905372/516full-maria-butyrskaya.jpg

She is pregnant again! :cheer: She has two children.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Okay, I know I already posted once in this thread, but I have to add Shen and Zhao. Their artistic journey from the 1998 Olympics (first time I saw them, and honestly their programs were very forgettable) to the 2010 OGM was truly remarkable. They showed up in the 2002/2003 season and suddenly had artistry! And they were together for so long and had so many ups and downs! I came to really love their skating.

Same goes for Pang & Tong. It was so thrilling to see them win the OSM in 2010 skating those programs cleanly. Their farewell Worlds was amazing, the SP in particular! :love: Like S&Z, they grew into such artists.

Speaking of transformations, I first saw Shizuka at the 1998 Olympics as well. She was a completely different skater by 2004 Worlds. :yes: In 1998, I never would have thought she'd become an Olympic Champion in 2006!

In the spins department, Lucindah Ruh, Stephane Lambiel, Denise Biellmann, Todd Eldredge. Deniss Vasiljevs may shortly have his name in this list. Paul Wylie did some iconic show programs and also had good spread eagles/spins.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Surya Bonaly, Philippe Candeloro, Elvis Stojko, Oksana Baiul, Gordeeva and Grinkov- sorry for any wrong spellings; can you tell which year I became interested in figure skating?!!!

It's either 1988 or 1994. I'm gonna go with 1994!!! :)

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
There will never be anyone like Daisuke Takahashi, I have to second that. He really felt the music he skated too and had skills to project it for the audience & judges. I've never felt that he was just rehearsing / repeating / ticking off memorized choreography even though he surely skated it so many times before his first event with a program. He had natural gift for that, to perform.

Truly untouchable in singles men so far sense of musicality and genuine dancing.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"There will never be anyone like her/him/them, no matter what!".
Who is/are the skater/s that make you think like this and why?

Tai and Randy. After all these years I've not found a pair I like more. I could spend all day just watching her stroke around the ice.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen - she skated like a prima ballerina. Nobody else has matched her in style, before or after. The way she worked a piece of music, adding highs and lows, hitting the beats, and the spirals at the climax - brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo3hgBV59bc

The current system does not reward this, and the "advanced" skaters don't seem to care or be working on it, so I highly doubt there will be anyone like her, at least in the foreseeable future.

mintx

On the Ice
Pairs: Gordeva and Grinkov were magic ice. They made me fall in love with pairs skating. Ekateria floated in the air, she is delicate and strong and Sergi was so Solidand strong. He was magnificent but often a frame to present her to us.

Men: Scott Hamilton, his athleticism and later his showmanship. His footwork ,ales me grin and his interviews make me cry. Jason Brown's joy and exuberance.

Women: Michele Kwan , I wanted her to win gold over Tara so bad! That dress and Lyrica Amgelica program is one of my all time favorites

Dance: Meryl & Charlie, their Bollywood program made me fall in love with dance for the first time. It was intricate and joyful and visually stunning. The Ship Sibs, tenacity and willingness to let's us share their world. I want nothing but gold for them.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm kinda surprised no one has brought up Peggy Fleming yet. Especially mrrice.

She made the combination of athleticism, grace, and dance look so easy.

Peggy Fleming - 1967 U.S. Figure Skating Championships - Long Program
Peggy Fleming - 1968 U.S. Figure Skating Championships - Long Program
Peggy Fleming - 1968 Olympics LP

Plus, was there a better person to give Mister Rogers a skating lesson? Just sayin'. :)

I swear I was going to talk about her but, I thought I'd already mentioned her in this thread. If not. There will never be another skater who captured the US audience the way that Peggy did. Janet Lynn and Dorothy Hammill came close but, Peggy was definitely number 1. So many specials on TV where she was the Star. Not a guest star like most skaters today. So many commercials, and she was on every talk show in the US from the time she won her first championship until she retired.

Here's her TV Special. She was the lead of the program which featured guest stars, Not the other way around. It was called, "Here's Peggy Flemming" This clip is 25:00 minutes long and features clips from her career and several programs with guests.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyVYYFfMmk

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jeremy Abbott: Smooth edges, amazing footwork, personality, and musicality. True artist.