"There will never be anyone like...!" | Page 4 | Golden Skate

"There will never be anyone like...!"

lappo

Final Flight
In terms of rivalry, there will never be another one as passionate as Yagudin vs Plushenko! Many memorable moments from those years!!

Still in terms of rivalry, there will hopefully never be another one as sad (for the background not for the competition in itself) as U/Z vs G/P (Team Maia Usova).

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I feel like the correct answer here is Toller Cranston. I'd also say that Finnish Ice Dancers Rahkamo/Kokko are right up there for uniqueness.

In my heart though there will never be another Gordeeva/Grinkov and I'm good with that. Someone has to be at the apex and I'm happy it's them.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Akiko Suzuki. I was so drawn in when she skated. She was not the prettiest skater but she was the most lovely.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I agree with Tessa and Scott. So many ice dance firsts. First North American OGM, first to win on home ice, first JWC to win the OGM, first to win in their Olympic debut. Also youngest ever ID OGM. Also they're just amazing. And the D/W rivalry was great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Gary Beacom, Toller Cranston, Kurt Browning, Patrick Chan - Canadian Men who have made their marks and effects in figure skating.

Lu Chen and Oksana Baiul - natural artist sans pareil, who also had to fight through extremely difficult challenges and adversaries.

Surya Bonaly!

Tonya Harding!

Shen and Zhao for pioneering the great Chinese Pairs tradition and for winning the Olympic Gold after years of retirement.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wait, what? Is this thread about who said uncomplimentary things to someone else, or maybe not?

Anyway, there will never be another Dick Button. Of this I can be certain because Button's claims to fame are that he was the first to do a double Axel, the first to do a triple jump, and in fact the first to master the technique of jumping by :spinning in the air. He was the first and only skater who (as European skating programs were recovering from War War II) was simultaneously national champion, North American champion, European champion, world champion and Olympic champion.

There will never be another Sonja Henie. She won three Olympic gold medals and ten world championships. She brought figure skating to Hollywood, changing the sport from a relatively obscure recreational diversion into a glamorous international show-biz phenomenon.

Just to put a fine point on your DB remarks, he did and tried to do so much for skating after he left am. comp, just like Scott Hamilton did.....I am not going to try and pick between those two! :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Gary Beacom, Toller Cranston, Kurt Browning, Patrick Chan - Canadian Men who have made their marks and effects in figure skating.

Lu Chen and Oksana Baiul - natural artist sans pareil, who also had to fight through extremely difficult challenges and adversaries.

Surya Bonaly!

Tonya Harding!

Shen and Zhao for pioneering the great Chinese Pairs tradition and for winning the Olympic Gold after years of retirement.

I will not say one negative thing about your picks...they are yours....and they are all champions....but only Shen and Zhoa and Kurt Browning are Legends IMHO and therefore are in the running for "There will never be anyone like...."

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I will not say one negative thing about your picks...they are yours....and they are all champions....but only Shen and Zhoa and Kurt Browning are Legends IMHO and therefore are in the running for "There will never be anyone like...."

ermmm try to find me a lady dressed in givenchy with a large braid, doing back flips landing them on one foot so she can tag a triple salchow after them....

when you do so, you can dismiss Surya Bonaly

:)

as for dismissing Patrick, we are used to it, so I won't comment ;)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I don't think "there will never be anyone like..." implies a legend or a winner of championships, but someone who was distinctive (unique) in some aspect. I think of it as being distinct in their style, but some other people see it as being a pioneer, being the first to do "something", having a big impact on the sport, having an interesting life story, or winning a lot of medals of various sorts.

As I said, I think of it as "most distinctive" rather than "most accomplished", and for that Surya Bonaly wins the prize.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't think "there will never be anyone like..." implies a legend or a winner of championships, but someone who was distinctive (unique) in some aspect. I think of it as being distinct in their style, but some other people see it as being a pioneer, being the first to do "something", having a big impact on the sport, having an interesting life story, or winning a lot of medals of various sorts.

As I said, I think of it as "most distinctive" rather than "most accomplished", and for that Surya Bonaly wins the prize.

:yes:

ermmm try to find me a lady dressed in givenchy with a large braid, doing back flips landing them on one foot so she can tag a triple salchow after them....

when you do so, you can dismiss Surya Bonaly

:)

Is there and will there ever be anyone else who has Surya's look, athletism, and defiance? All very distinctive.

And Tonya harding's jumping prowess and blue collar deportment and associations so ill fitting in the figure skating world?

Last edited:

In this respect, the ISU has guaranteed that there will never be another Surya, by outlawing this move.

Unless you mean. will there ever be another skater who does it at the Olympics anyway. :)