"There will never be anyone like...!" | Page 5 | Golden Skate

"There will never be anyone like...!"

Just to put a fine point on your DB remarks, he did and tried to do so much for skating after he left am. comp, just like Scott Hamilton did.....I am not going to try and pick between those two! :)

Scott Hamilton :yes: had the greatest influence on men's figure skating in America. He wrested a share of the sport away from the ladies and made men's skating appealing to general audiences in the U.S. His skating skills were bested only by his talent as an entrepreneur and impresario.

Plus, he was smart enough to sign Kristi Yamaguchi :love: for Stars on Ice. :)

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
In this respect, the ISU has guaranteed that there will never be another Surya, by outlawing this move.

Unless you mean. will there ever be another skater who does it at the Olympics anyway. :)

I am pretty sure that backflip was disallowed in Surya's time. She did it with landing on one foot to do something ballsy and to troll them all. Surya also in my opinion wanted to entertain crowd and to ridicule judges out there who effectively dismissed her in the past as well as in SP in the same competition. Technically her move was legal.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am pretty sure that backflip was disallowed in Surya's time. She did it with landing on one foot to do something ballsy and to troll them all. Surya also in my opinion wanted to entertain crowd and to ridicule judges out there who effectively dismissed her in the past as well as in SP in the same competition. Technically her move was legal.

Backflip has always been discredited on account of its two footed landing. So Surya showed them up with her one foot landing backflip. She knew the judges would not let her win anyway, so yeah, a backflip landed on one foot right in front of the Olympic judges. Of course, this was not the only time she showed her defiance. Remember how she refused her medal?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In this respect, the ISU has guaranteed that there will never be another Surya, by outlawing this move.

Unless you mean. will there ever be another skater who does it at the Olympics anyway. :)

exactly... the ISU told her she couldn't do it... she did it anyways !:drama:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yuna was mentioned already, but Mao should be too. A triple axel and other amazing jumps at 15 but too young for Torino, and her longevity since then. Plus, her rivalry with Yuna was one for the ages - both were so successful at a young age. Mao has the best ladies footwork in recent memory and lovely artistic presence. Her Sochi FS is one of my unforgettable moments from her. :yes:

Carolina - great longevity and so many phases in her career. I didn't enjoy her skating until 2012, but she improved a lot that season. She has had epic meltdowns as well as spectacular programs. She has carried Italian singles skating for a long time. I love her maturity on the ice now.

Janet Lynn - amazing free skater with lovely skating skills, for whom the short program was added to competition

Trixi Schuba - the queen of compulsory figures, which are no longer part of competition

John Curry - no explanation needed :bow:

Matt Savoie - did transitions before transitions were a thing :love:

Osbourne Colson - without Mr. Colson, Patrick would not be Patrick :thank:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Backflip has always been discredited on account of its two footed landing. So Surya showed them up with her one foot landing backflip. She knew the judges would not let her win anyway, so yeah, a backflip landed on one foot right in front of the Olympic judges. Of course, this was not the only time she showed her defiance. Remember how she refused her medal?

Yes, she was always a rebel.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
IF I have one stand out all time there will never be anything like, it is Kurt Browning - he had the technical ability and he could make you believe anything he skated. My runners up would be Torvill and Dean - he could craft anything, and she could perform his vision and they were so totally in harmony with one another, and John Curry who even with grainy videos and 40 years on can still draw you in. I guess there should also be Irina Rodnina and Sonja Henie but I don't really still watch them. I would also put Virtue and Moir on the list but I don't think they were quite the game changers Torvill and Dean were.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think this is the first general thread EVER where I agree with everyone's responses AND keep having more to add myself. :eek:: :laugh2:

Artur Dimitriev - 2-time Olympic Champion with 2 different partners

Elena Liashenko - queen of telegraphing jumps :palmf: (frankly I don't remember anything else about her skating)

Keep it going! :)

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think this is the first general thread EVER where I agree with everyone's responses AND keep having more to add myself. :eek:: :laugh2:

Artur Dimitriev - 2-time Olympic Champion with 2 different partners

Elena Liashenko - queen of telegraphing jumps :palmf: (frankly I don't remember anything else about her skating)

Keep it going! :)

As for the King of telegraphing jumps I'll never forget Sergey Davydov representing Belarus from the past. He can put Liashenko to shame. :biggrin: As for Elena ... I can't say that I was a fan but I liked her speed & big jumps ;) Her career was also much longer than in most cases, so kudos for longevity.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
As for the King of telegraphing jumps I'll never forget Sergey Davydov representing Belarus from the past. He can put Liashenko to shame. :biggrin: As for Elena ... I can't say that I was a fan but I liked her speed & big jumps ;) Her career was also much longer than in most cases, so kudos for longevity.
Someone else who had a longer career than anyone expected - Fumie Suguri. She was the first internationally-successful ladies skater from Japan since Yuka, and now there are so many good ladies from Japan. She started the wave, much like B&A did for U.S. ice dance.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Someone else who had a longer career than anyone expected - Fumie Suguri. She was the first internationally-successful ladies skater from Japan since Yuka, and now there are so many good ladies from Japan. She started the wave, much like B&A did for U.S. ice dance.

I saw Fumie at Worlds in 2001. She may not have had the best body line. However.....She was as fast as a bolt of lightening!! She and Elena Liashenko are still the fastest ladies I've ever seen in person.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I like this thread, so I'm back for a second comment.

There will never be another Irina Rodnina.

3 Olympic Gold Medals.
11 European Championship Gold Medals.
10 World Championship Gold Medals.

That's a pretty spiffy competitive record.

Well, if we're only talking results then, well okay... I always thought she was a graceless, ungainly skater (she did inherit the throne after the Protopopovs).

For me, Toller Cranston, Robin Cousins, Midori Ito, Gordeeva, Sasha Cohen, and Plushenko.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, if we're only talking results then, well okay... I always thought she was a graceless, ungainly skater (she did inherit the throne after the Protopopovs).

For me, Toller Cranston, Robin Cousins, Midori Ito, Gordeeva, Sasha Cohen, and Plushenko.

She reinvented the sport and dominated for over a decade with two different partners and a baby thrown in for good measure. I say this as a rabid Protopopov fan.

If memory serves, she didn't inherit the throne from the Protopopov's, she dethroned them at the Soviet championship.

I must cite you for a technical foul in calling another skater graceless and ungainly while you simultaneously list Midori Ito as a favorite.

I really really really like Midori Ito, but a paragon of grace she was not.

Exciting? Adorable? Infections enthusiasm and love for the sport? Artistic in her own way? Yes to all of these. Graceful? No.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Protopovs were graceful & exquisite but Rodnina / Zaitsev not so much. But why do you single out her? What was less graceful about her skating next to Zaitsev?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Irina Rodnina, first with Ulanov and later Zaitsev, brought speed and power and daring to pairs skating.

Nobody matches the Protopopovs for classic elegance, but Rodnina and partners revolutionized the discipline.

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Yuzuru Hanyu. Love him, hate him, be indifferent. he's one of a kind, that's for sure.
Although I'd be glad to be wrong, and one day see another skater who combines the most powerful jumps with an unashamed feminity.

Oh. Since his name had never once popped up here, I was hoping he could be recreated. Bother. :(