2017 Worlds Ladies pre-event thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Ladies pre-event thread

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I tried to figure out the groups for the SP:

1st group: MacKay, Wories, Yu, Zhao, Yamada (5)
2nd group: Peltonen, Grm, Hendrickx, Khnychenkova, Hälvin (5)
3rd group: Hanzlikova, Gjersem, Williams, Lin, Frank (5)
4th group: Schott, Helgesson, Galustyan, Craine, Kostner (5)
5th group: Mihara, Higuchi, Lecavelier, Toth, Bell, Zijun Li (6)
6th group: Osmond, Tursynbaeva, Chen, Kuchvalska, Rajicova, Choi (6)
7th group: Medvedeva, Miyahara, Pogorilaya, Wagner, Sotskova, Daleman (6)

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
A random but not a particularly interesting fact is that for the past three World Championships, the winner was always the skater who skated first in her SP group.
2014 - Asada skated first in the 2nd-last group
2015 - Tuktamysheva skated first in the final group
2016 - Medvedeva skated first in the final group

Medvedeva will very likely win this one anyway though, so I guess this time it wouldn't matter when she skates...

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ladies' SP bench mark- i predict 55 points- again, highest ever.

Also, after looking at this season's scores- oh dear, the US are in real trouble.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
We're definitely not in Boston anymore. :)

Will be interested to see the PCS battle between Carolina and Evgenia. They'll have the top PCS but how much of a difference will we see?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
We're definitely not in Boston anymore. :)

Will be interested to see the PCS battle between Carolina and Evgenia. They'll have the top PCS but how much of a difference will we see?

For me it's not that interesting as Medvedeva has superior TES and will surely win unless she has a disaster. What's more important is what pcs cushion judges will be willing to give Caro to make her competitive with those skaters who will compete for the podium. At the Europeans it was not enough for the silver even though it was not Anna's best event this season.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
There's no denying Evgenia's TES but GOEs and PCS can overcome TES differences to an extent. Carolina is also working with Mishin so I expect her to be getting better. But really, who knows what will happen. At least last year I didn't expect the order of the top 3 after the SP.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Ladies have been a little boring for me this season, so I will just sit back and relax as this goes down. I will be most interested to see who end up with silver and bronze.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm starting to think that I'll only be able to believe in Carolina as a possible medalist when I see her lutz :slink:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Satoko WD, so US and Canada's Ladies chances for podium has just increased. It's getting interesting :popcorn:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bronze will be a fight between Kostner, Osmond and Wagner and possibly Mihara, IMO.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a hunch that Ashley and Mariah will have a team feeling at this Worlds, and it will give them both a little boost in motivation and happiness. Karen too, of course, but especially Ashley and Mariah, since they train together. I've always felt that Ashley gets a good secondary motivation in how she competes to try/make sure the USA earns 3 spots for the next year. This year, it's much more of a factor of course.

I'm so excited for next week, I can hardly wait. Go Ashley!:dance3: Go Mariah!:yahoo: Go Karen!:hap10:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a hunch that Ashley and Mariah will have a team feeling at this Worlds, and it will give them both a little boost in motivation and happiness. Karen too, of course, but especially Ashley and Mariah, since they train together. I've always felt that Ashley gets a good secondary motivation in how she competes to try/make sure the USA earns 3 spots for the next year. This year, it's much more of a factor of course.

I'm so excited for next week, I can hardly wait. Go Ashley!:dance3: Go Mariah!:yahoo: Go Karen!:hap10:

The problem is Ashley could finish in the top 3 and still the 3rd spot could be lost if Mariah and Karen don't get it together. Ashley at Worlds leading up to Sochi was determined to help get that 3rd spot back and though she didn't get on the podium Ashley was top 5 and Gracie kept it together and finished 6th. Even then judges really liked Gracie and despite being her first year as a Senior when she landed her jumps she got big scores. But Karen has never gotten it done internationally and Mariah is inconsistent too and unlike in 2013 our #2 and #3 girls won't most likely beat the Russians unlike Gracie who beat all three Russians back in 2013.

Last edited:

Globetrotter

Medalist
You listed all the worthy ones (sans Gabby Daleman's flawless 3T-3T). But the remaining entries in this table are LOL. Major LOLz at Kaetlyn Osmond's 3Lz getting +1.80.

I would also LOL at the StSq GOEs given to Lenok and Zhenya. I just don't see how their footwork with relatively weak edge control, mediocre turns and overly long sequence to cram in level 4 content can get almost perfect GOEs that is even higher than what someone like Satoko, Mao or CaroK can do more decently with better SS.

Globetrotter

Medalist

Satoko had to WD which is a pity but I guess this opens the door wider for the US girls. Now they just need to pray that Shin Amano don't become the tech guy or else it will be 3F-3T<, 3Lze and 3R-1R-3S< for Ashley and 3Lz-3T< and 3Fe for Karen.

Globetrotter

Medalist
My only big wish for this competition is for fair, transparent and proper scoring especially in PCS. Personally cheering for Wakaba Higuchi to skate lights out and for CaroK to skate clean and show us what good basic SS is. I make no apologies for being an uber SS fan who loves smooth blade work and gliding the likes of PChan and Yuka Sato!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
My biggest wish would be for Anna to get Gold. This is only possible if Evgenia messes up. This is unlikely. So in the end a silver for Anna is my biggest wish. Two clean programs and no holding down in favour of other skaters, dear judges! Then I would like the japanese girls to keep the three spots. Everything else does not matter to me.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
I would also LOL at the StSq GOEs given to Lenok and Zhenya. I just don't see how their footwork with relatively weak edge control, mediocre turns and overly long sequence to cram in level 4 content can get almost perfect GOEs that is even higher than what someone like Satoko, Mao or CaroK can do more decently with better SS.
LOL
have you EVER read the rules??? maybe even once?
if you read you would never write such a nonsense....
:disapp:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

I know right ... why they can't tell basic quality from superb quality? Quantity is as important, right? :scratch2: :disapp: Or they rather see through rose-tinted glasses and overlook authentic difference because of their favouritism. :rolleye:

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Satoko WD, so US and Canada's Ladies chances for podium has just increased. It's getting interesting :popcorn:

Pro: We get to see Riverdance one last time, and Rika gets a third last chance to save her season.

Con: Literally everything else.

Globetrotter

Medalist
LOL
have you EVER read the rules??? maybe even once?
if you read you would never write such a nonsense....
:disapp:
Thing is I did and more than once. I agree with the levels but just not the GOEs, especially on effortless throughout, good acceleration and deep edges and turns. Without those, I can't see how it can enhance the musical structure throughout. +1 or 2 but certainly not 2,3s throughout.