Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds

rosy14

Final Flight
Mai has been a very consistent skater this season, and she has skated better at each event.

The only problem I see for her at Worlds is that she isn't in the top 12 in WR (she just missed at #13) so she won't be in the final two flights for the SP. That could keep her PCS scores for the short on the low side. But if she turns in a squeaky clean FS and others ahead of her in the SP falter, she could still wind up in the top 6.

Of the three Japanese ladies, the only one with a WR in the top 12 is Hongo. Higuchi is 14th, right behind Kihara.

I think Caro too will skate in the first groups, as at the Euros. So even for her PCS lower than expected. And her technical BV is lower than Mai's.
However she has not to keep three spots and no one expects from her more than a 4th-5th place.
Ashley has surely more pressure on her shoulders.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I unleashed a torrent of unprintable words when I saw this. Her FS this year is gorgeous, and it's too bad it won't be performed at worlds. I hope she keeps it for the coming year since she's only performed it half the year. Holst's The Planets would be magnificent on Olympic ice. I hope she recovers soon.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
According to our Eurosport commentator, no.

Commentators are often wrong unfortunately. As per ISU, if the skater/team places 1-2 then they will gain 3 spots for their country.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Commentators are often wrong unfortunately. As per ISU, if the skater/team places 1-2 then they will gain 3 spots for their country.

I always thought that only applied if a country had one entry in the event. After that the top two placements from a country must equal 13 or less. I'm confused....did the rules change?

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I always thought that only applied if a country had one entry in the event. After that the top two placements from a country must equal 13 or less. I'm confused....did the rules change?

No my comment was in response to the poster saying the only way for a single representative to get 3 spots is if they are first. (According to a eurosport commentator)

Lysambre

Final Flight
I'm disappointed that our Tiny Queen won't be participating, but very happy that she and her team have decided that her health was more important than a competition.

Rest well, heal, and we hope to see you again next year, in top form, ready to once again take over the World :luv17:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Caro too will skate in the first groups, as at the Euros. So even for her PCS lower than expected. And her technical BV is lower than Mai's.
However she has not to keep three spots and no one expects from her more than a 4th-5th place.
Ashley has surely more pressure on her shoulders.

Kostner scored 35.60 PCS starting at #7 at Euros. That just happened to be the 2nd highest PCS score in the SP competition, after Medvedeva. I am sure she will get her usual high PCS score wherever she starts at Worlds.

Meoima

Match Penalty
For Satoko herself, this WC is not a done deal for her to go to Olympic. Next season if she is consistent (she usually is) then she will be sent to Olympic anyway. But the 3 spots is at risk. So whoever JSF consideres as Japanese no.3 will not be sent I am afraid.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Kostner scored 35.60 PCS starting at #7 at Euros. That just happened to be the 2nd highest PCS score in the SP competition, after Medvedeva. I am sure she will get her usual high PCS score wherever she starts at Worlds.

But wouldn't you at least agree that she does deserve her high PCS at least relative to the other skaters? She may not have Zhenya's exuberance and natural loveliness PE wise but the CH certainly is stronger and more balanced and her transitions certainly ties Zhenya based on quality of movement albeit with less quantity. And how many ladies deserve better SS than CaroK where edge work and glide and change of speed is concerned?

atsumiri

Record Breaker
But wouldn't you at least agree that she does deserve her high PCS at least relative to the other skaters? She may not have Zhenya's exuberance and natural loveliness PE wise but the CH certainly is stronger and more balanced and her transitions certainly ties Zhenya based on quality of movement albeit with less quantity. And how many ladies deserve better SS than CaroK where edge work and glide and change of speed is concerned?
I love Carolina Kostner VERY MUCH but I can't understand cry about her PCS. :noshake: :noshake:
She does simple double axel after series of crossovers and 2-4 seconds of delay before the jump. her speed is a way slower than it used to be, lots of two-foots skating
IMO she gets away from Plush-style like in Transitions score. And her SS is for away from what they used to be....
I do appreciate her emotional skating a lot. Her musicality. Her hands. In this aspects, she still is one of the Best. But otherwise... not as good as she used to be... Her last competition ... it was hard to watch.... :sad46:

I totally agree with, "she will get her usual high PCS score wherever she starts at Worlds"... Even there're lots of girls who deserved it more. IMO

..... I'm very disappointed about Satoko((((((. :cry::sad21:

Globetrotter

Medalist
I love Carolina Kostner VERY MUCH but I can't understand cry about her PCS. :noshake: :noshake:
She does simple double axel after series of crossovers and 2-4 seconds of delay before the jump. her speed is a way slower than it used to be, lots of two-foots skating
IMO she gets away from Plush-style like in Transitions score. And her SS is for away from what they used to be....
I do appreciate her emotional skating a lot. Her musicality. Her hands. In this aspects, she still is one of the Best. But otherwise... not as good as she used to be... Her last competition ... it was hard to watch.... :sad46:

I totally agree with, "she will get her usual high PCS score wherever she starts at Worlds"... Even there're lots of girls who deserved it more. IMO

..... I'm very disappointed about Satoko((((((. :cry::sad21:

Which is why CaroK is not a high TES scorer and she won't get many +3 on jump GOEs. Sure, she has reduced her speed but will you consider her SS to be better when she was a teenager in the mid 2000s where she skated like a speed truck? SS judging is more about being able to vary speed, deep edges, multidirectional skating, effortlessly gliding and turning. CaroK has simply done away with having many fast segments but you can see she still has moments when she accelerates albeit short, mainly when she goes into the jumps. In terms of TR, it is less obvious as she uses more subtle and difficult upper body movement transitions rather than fancy footwork. Last I read, use of upper body moves counts as transitions. Where I am irked more is ironically in the performance aspect - that Kitaro SP was painfully hard to watch and tough to connect to the lay audience. Where marks should be docked in PCS, it's the PE for me. She still interprets wonderfully but well I don't quite connect for the performance. It's only a low 7 for me.

Double whammy for Satoko. She is one of those whom I really like for basic SS and interpretation of music.

Last edited: