Hall of Fame program edition! | Golden Skate

Hall of Fame program edition!

lappo

Final Flight
Imagine you have to build a FS Hall of Fame with few, selected programs to be considered the greatest of all times (say 3 pick for SP and 3 for FP for every discipline), what would your choices be? As usual, feel free to add the reasons behind the choices! :)

QuadLoop

Rinkside
Hmm, I'd have a tough time picking only 3 for each category... but for women, I'd put Mao's 2014 Worlds SP and Yuna's 2009 Worlds SP. For ice dance V/M's 2010 olympics FD. For men I'd have to include Yuzuru's Worlds H&L and Plushenko's 'Tribute to Nijinsky' at Russian nationals. I'm probably biased towards more recent stuff though.

lilsailor

On the Ice
Yuzuru's Seimei from NHK and H&L from Worlds,
Jason Brown's riverdance from US Nats gives me chills every time
Shibsibs fix you
Yuna Kim's LP from 2010 olys
Yulia Lipnitskaya's LP from Sochi
Dean and Torvill's Bolero
thats all i can think of rn

AnaBM

Rinkside
The first thing that came to my mind was Volosozhar/Trankov's Masquerade Waltz and Berezhnaya/Sikhaludize's Lady Caliph. I guess I'll have to take some time to think on another pairs' SP.

gotoschool

Medalist
For Women

SP
Mao Asada's Nocturne at Worlds 2014 or Grand Prix Final for the huge and beautiful triple axel and the rhythmic and picturesque balletic transitions and extensions with the fabulous light and elegant step sequence and a gorgeous concluding Biellmann that matches the mood of the music beautifully, massive rink coverage done with deceptive ease and fluidity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIkD2wwjaik

Lu Chen's 1996 Spring Breeze beautiful loft and delay in the jumps, smooth fluid and rhythmic dance movements, vast rink coverage done with fluidity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezRalpHdcf0

Midori Ito 1990 Worlds SP huge jumps, great speed with fluid movement, fast spins, and sharp quick edges through the step sequences the covers the entire rink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3_D6H8aWXc

LP
Mao's Sochi Rach II Sochi - triple axel, triple flip and loop, and triple flip double loop double loop done with beautiful fluidity and expressive flair, incredible rink coverage done quickly with deceptive ease between jumping passes, while still having a lot of one legged and swaying movements, dynamic flair in balletic expression and extensions in her transitions, elegant and flexible spins, and an incredibly climatic step sequence with such fluid illusion spins and pirouettes and leaps into the air, ending in a rapid fire fan spiral and a great sweeping arc of her arabesque and such great depth of emotional resonance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hob5DEkR9U

Lu Chen 1996 Worlds Rach II- beautiful delayed rotation on the jumps, dancing movements that match the changing speeds and feeling in the music wonderfully, and fabulous skating skills, deeply moving emotionally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCRaoNfU0r8

Midori Ito 1990 Worlds - huge and gorgeous triple axel and triple lutz, massive rink coverage and outstanding skating skills with nice spins and extension for a power skater, very emotional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvgWI8QDrzQ

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Really trying to consider the best of all time - not necessarily my favorites. Which programs have anything close to a legacy behind them? Also doing this off the top of my head, without looking anything up, so I am sure I am forgetting stuff that is legit important. Also I don't include anything pre-1984. Sorry. You'll also notice the Olympic year bias, because it's so real.

Men

SP - Hanyu's Parisienne Walkways, Yagudin's Winter, idk maybe a BOrser SP in 84 or 88?
LP - Boitano's Napoleon, Plushenko's Tribute to Nijinsky, Hanyu's Seimei
Underappreciated gem: Daisuke's Blues for Klook. It has unlimited appreciation from skating fans, but it didn't win anything really major or break records. Also, the fact that no PChan program is on this list hurts my soul - but part of the problem is that, for me, there is no "definitive" PChan program.

Ladies

SP - Kwan's Rachmaninoff 1998, Baiul's Swan Lake, Mao's Nocturne
LP - Kwan's Lyra Angelica, Witt's Carmen, Yuna Kim's Gershwin
Underappreciated gem: Lu Chen 1996 LP and 1998 LP

Pairs (this category was the hardest, interestingly enough)

SP - Bereznaya/Sikharulidze's Lady Caliph, V/T's Masquerade Waltz, S/H's Blues for Klook
LP - Savchenko/Szolkowy's Pina, Shen/Zhao's Turandot 2003, G/G's Beethoven
Gem that won't be appreciated enough in years to come: Kavaguti/Smirnov's Manfred Symphony

Ice Dance

OD - really for me, none. I just don't know enough, sorry!
FD - Torvill/Dean's Bolero, V/M's Mahler, and a tie between D/W's Scheherazade and P/C's To Build a Home (because I am P/C trash).

breadstal

Record Breaker
There's to many so I will just do it for my favorite skaters :laugh: Yuna Kim's 2007 Worlds SP, 2009 Worlds SP, 2010 Olympics LP, 2011 Worlds LP (Homage to Korea), 2014 Olympics SP/ LP (underrated af). Mao Asada's 2014 Worlds SP, 2016 Worlds LP, 2014 Olympics LP, Liebesträume and Fantaisie-Impromptu.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle's Salome - 1996 Worlds, Lyra Angelica - 1998 US Nationals
Todd's First Knight - 1996 Worlds, 1492 - 2001 Worlds
Brian Orser - 1984 & 1988 sps & free skates
Brian Boitano's Napoleon - 1988 Olympics
Jason Brown's Riverdance - 2014 US Nationals
Shen & Zhao - Turandot - 2003 Worlds
The Shibs' - Fix You - 2016 US Nationals, 2016 Worlds
Mao's 2014 Olympic free skate
Midori Ito's 1988 Olympic free skate
Paul Wylie's 1992 Olympic Henry V
Javi's Guys & Dolls fs - 2016 Worlds
Kurt's "Casblanca" (has he ever skated to "Singin' in the Rain" competitively? (loved it in SOI)
Meryl & Charlie's Samson & Delilah - 2009 Worlds (podium worthy - they should have been on the world podium with that one)!

Last edited:

sublimeskating

Crouching Dreamer, Hidden Badass
On the Ice
I agree with the programs nominated by commenters above me :)

Can I also nominate:

Yuzuru Hanyu's Hope and Legacy (Worlds 2017, Helsinki) and Seimei (GPF Barcelona)

These were just epic and beautiful performances from start to finish :love:

Alexei Yagudin's Winter and The Man in the Iron Mask (2002 Winter Olympics)

which is just a skating masterclass, really

that step sequence in Winter is EPIC

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Ladies

SP in no particular order

- Mao Asada 2014 Worlds SP (no need to explain this one)
- Yuna 2009 Worlds SP (same, no need to further explain)
- Carolina Kostner 2008 Worlds SP (my favorite program from her and that performance was heavenly)

LP in no particular order

- Mao Asada 2014 Olympic LP (the best program, technically and artistically ever, IMO)
- Lu Chen 1995 Worlds LP (I love the original choreography, I watched that program many times)
- Carolina Kostner 2012 Worlds LP (I love the simplicity and elegance of that program, it is very special and very Carolina)

Men

SP

- Daisuke Takahashi 2011 NHK Trophy (by far my favorite men SP ever - I know he cleanly performed that SP with more content, but the skating itself was at its best at this particular event)
- Daisuke Takahashi 2010 Vancouver SP (my second favorite)
- Yuzuru Hanyu 2015 SP from GPF/NHK Trophy

LP

- Yuzuru Hanyu 2015 LP from GPF/NHK Trophy
- Daisuke Takahashi 2012 LP from Worlds/WTT
- Stephan Lambiel 2007 Worlds (despite the mistakes, it is a masterpiece)

Pairs

SP

- Totmianina/Marinin 2005 Worlds SP (Ave Maria)
- Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze 2002 Olympic SP
- Sui/Han 2017 Worlds SP

LP

- Savchenko/Szolkowy Pina (2012-2013 GPF)
- Savchenko/Massot Lighthouse (2017 Worlds)
- Savchenko/Szolkowy Out of Africa (2009 Skate Canada)

I am such a fan of Aliona!

Ice dance

SD

- V/M Prince SD (2017 Worlds)
- I/K Olympic SD
- P/C 2016 Worlds SD

(as for the OD, I would definitely mention D/W Bollywood, a masterpiece!)

FD - this one is easy for me

- P/C 2016 Worlds FD
- P/C 2017 Worlds FD
- V/M 2013 Worlds (Carmen) FD

Weathergal

Medalist
Really trying to consider the best of all time - not necessarily my favorites. Which programs have anything close to a legacy behind them? Also doing this off the top of my head, without looking anything up, so I am sure I am forgetting stuff that is legit important. Also I don't include anything pre-1984. Sorry. You'll also notice the Olympic year bias, because it's so real.

Men

SP - Hanyu's Parisienne Walkways, Yagudin's Winter, idk maybe a BOrser SP in 84 or 88?
LP - Boitano's Napoleon, Plushenko's Tribute to Nijinsky, Hanyu's Seimei
Underappreciated gem: Daisuke's Blues for Klook. It has unlimited appreciation from skating fans, but it didn't win anything really major or break records. Also, the fact that no PChan program is on this list hurts my soul - but part of the problem is that, for me, there is no "definitive" PChan program.

Ladies

SP - Kwan's Rachmaninoff 1998, Baiul's Swan Lake, Mao's Nocturne
LP - Kwan's Lyra Angelica, Witt's Carmen, Yuna Kim's Gershwin
Underappreciated gem: Lu Chen 1996 LP and 1998 LP

Pairs (this category was the hardest, interestingly enough)

SP - Bereznaya/Sikharulidze's Lady Caliph, V/T's Masquerade Waltz, S/H's Blues for Klook
LP - Savchenko/Szolkowy's Pina, Shen/Zhao's Turandot 2003, G/G's Beethoven
Gem that won't be appreciated enough in years to come: Kavaguti/Smirnov's Manfred Symphony

Ice Dance

OD - really for me, none. I just don't know enough, sorry!
FD - Torvill/Dean's Bolero, V/M's Mahler, and a tie between D/W's Scheherazade and P/C's To Build a Home (because I am P/C trash).

I realize you said you did this quickly, but I think you made some great choices.

I especially agree with Hanyu's Parisienne Walkways and Yagudin's Winter SP. As someone mentioned, the step sequence alone from Winter :love: It's funny because Parisienne Walkways isn't usually mentioned when someone lists a favorite Hanyu program--and I think it's very different from much of his work--but I found his performance of it, particularly at the 2014 Olympics, mesmerizing. (And I don't even care for the song!

And a big yes to your Pairs LP choices! So happy to see someone mention Savchenko / Szolkowy's Pina. I just loved that program and thought it was brilliant. And very much agree with your mention of Kavaguti / Smirnov's Manfred Symphony. Although I hope it IS appreciated in years to come.

For Ice Dance OD, the first programs that popped into my head are Davis / White's Bollywood and Ilinykh / Zhiganshin's Carmen.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
- Sasha Cohen sp from 2006 Olympics
- Shizuka Arakawa fs from 2006 Olympics

- Javier Fernandez Malaguena sp from 2017 Worlds
- Javier Fernandez Guys and Dolls fs from 2016 Worlds
- Yuzuru Hanyu Seimei fs from 2016 GPF

- Anissina & Peizerat Flamenco original dance from 2002 Olympics

- Shen & Zhao Nutcracker lp from 2003 Worlds

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't believe she's not up here yet but, I think Lucinda Ruh's SP to Lawrence Of Arabia was very exciting to watch in person. Not the most difficult from a jumping standpoint but, her spins were just spectacular and the entire crowd was just amazed by her at Worlds in 1999. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meJzYYGqg7o

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Javier Fernadez SP 2017

Kurt Browning's Casablanca will always be one of my favourites (93-94)

Gordeeva/Grinkov's SP and LP in '94. I love both. It helps that Moonlight Sonata is my favourite piece of music of all time.
Shen/Zhao's 2002 Turnadot and the Claire D'Lune Short 2005
Sui/Han's short program 2017.

SD:
W/P SD 2014
G/P SD 2017
V/M SD 2017

FD:
Virtue/Moir's Carmen LP (I'm also a big fan of Hip Hip Chin Chin)
P/C To Build a Home LP
T/D Bolero '84

Ladies
LP
Yuna's LP in 2010.
Julia L. in Sochi 2014
Michelle Kwan's Salome

All I can think of for now.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's a hard ask! I'll try not to look at the rest of the thread but I'm sure I will and be like OMG forgot about that one! I'm also going with more recent ones even though I acknowledge that classic skaters like Curry and Lynn and Witt are all superb in their own rights. Most of these usually have one technical masterpiece and and artistic one or both. (No particular order, btw)

MEN
SP
1. Alexei Yagudin - Winter (2002 Olympics)
2. Patrick Chan - Elegie (2013 TEB)
3. Nathan Chen - Le Corsaire (4CC 2017; 4Z+3T, 4F and 3A)

FS
1. Yuzuru Hanyu - Seimei (2015 NHK)
2. Daisuke Takahashi - Blues For Klook (2012 WTT)
3. Jason Brown - Riverdance (2014 Nationals)

LADIES
SP
1. Carolina Kostner - Ave Maria (2014 Olympics individual SP)
2. Sasha Cohen - Malagueña (2003 Skate Canada SP)
3. Mao Asada - Chopin (2014 Worlds)

FS
1. Yu Na Kim - Rhapsody In Blue (2010 Olympics)
2. Michelle Kwan - Lyra Angelica (1998 Nationals)
3. Midori Ito - Rachmaninoff (1992 Olympics)

PAIRS
SP
1. Sui/Han - 2017 Worlds
2. Volosozhar/Trankov - 2014 Olympics
3. Savchenko/Szolkowy - 2014 Olympics

FS
1. Zhang/Zhang - 2006 Olympics
2. Duhamel/Radford - 2016 Worlds
3 Shen/Zhao - 2003 Worlds

DANCE
SD/OD
1. Virtue/Moir (2017 Worlds)
2. Davis/White (2010 Olympics)
3. Krylova/Ovsiannikov (1998 Worlds)

1. Bourne/Kraatz (1998 Olympics)
2. Dubreuil/Lauzon (2007 Worlds)
3. Papadakis/Cizeron (2015 Worlds)

Last edited:

Nika09

On the Ice
I've tried to regroup my HallOfFame worthy programs in chronological order:

Yagudin's "Winter" SP (OG 2002): it's one of the...if it's not most unique, extraordinary and still so classy and beautiful program in FS so far. Soft and gentle at the beginning and then dynamic and catchy. Technically difficult and artistically amazing. And of course those step sequences are just incomparable! I love the fact Aleksei could got Olympic gold with this program. Because it was really the golden skate!

Asada's "Rachmaninoff piano concerto No2" LP (Worlds 2014): actually this beautiful program was perfect performed at OG 2014 also, but it really hard to watch for me, especially to see her tears in the end of the program. And it's probably impossible even to imagine how it was for her after nightmare SP, that ruined her hope fo Olympic medal. But it's just amazing that she was able to take another world title and gold after that. So I love rewatch Worlds version of it. Particularly step sequences, with every single person is applauding as background. Shivers!

Kim's "Adios Nonino" LP (OG 2014): another tears covered (it's really hard to watch athletes not-happy tears) masterpiece from Olympics 2014. But come on, this program is mesmerizing! Tango on the ice! Every detail from hand movements, facial expressions to costume details. And not foot wrong in technical side. I always wondering how she could put that perfect jumps in, without any second for take a breath. Because this program so rich with movements and dancing elements between jumps and spins. Gorgeous!

Hanyu's "Chopin Ballade No1" SP (GPF 2015): my addiction, the best they all could produce in whole FS since 2002! I loved this program from first time, even with mistakes. Every second! From very simple, but also some special for that program, opening pose when he's just standing there on ice with closed eyes. Special because you know he's going to disappear from this reality for next 2.5 minutes (sometimes I thought he is skating whole program with closed eyes). And then you are starting to live music with him and Chopin's music which is pure perfection by his own. And after 10-15 seconds it's seems like he's skating the music, not skating with music as background. Costume (my favorite from Yuzuru so far) jumps, absolutely beautiful spread eagle after, spins, step and choreo sequences (that is making my heart beat faster). And the ending pose (especially in Worlds 2015 when he raised his hands and then clenched his fists like trying to catch an air) just as simple and special as opening, with half-smile on his face. All magic! (since then I want to watch Hanyu with another classic piece so badly, maybe LP this time). And I want to conclude, before it will turned into an essay, quoting Chris Howarth commentary about this SP: "If you took jumps out of this program - it's a masterpiece! Performed to perfection. And then you put those quads and triple axel in...it's just...defies belief!"

Sui/Han's "Blues For Klook" SP (Worlds 2017): program that gave me back interest and love for Pair's skating, I lost years ago. There was detailed and beautiful posts about this program from GS members in different threads so I don't want to repeat. Summary in few words: catchy from first second, sassy, interesting, in absolutely different level!

Honorable mentioned:
Yagudin's "The Man in the iron mask" LP (OG 2002).
Kim's" James Bond Medley" SP (OG 2010).
Takahashi's "Blues For Klook LP (Worlds 2012, so charismatic and underrated performans).
Lipnitskaya's" Schindler's list" LP (OG 2014. Just unbelievable spins and performance from 15 y/o. And sadly so unexpected sequel of her carrier).
Hanyu's" Parisienne Walkways" SP (OG 2014).

All of this IMO of course :)

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Javier Fernadez SP 2017

Kurt Browning's Casablanca will always be one of my favourites (93-94)

Gordeeva/Grinkov's SP and LP in '94. I love both. It helps that Moonlight Sonata is my favourite piece of music of all time.
Shen/Zhao's 2002 Turnadot and the Claire D'Lune Short 2005
Sui/Han's short program 2017.

SD:
W/P SD 2014
G/P SD 2017
V/M SD 2017

FD:
Virtue/Moir's Carmen LP (I'm also a big fan of Hip Hip Chin Chin)
P/C To Build a Home LP
T/D Bolero '84

Ladies
LP
Yuna's LP in 2010.
Julia L. in Sochi 2014
Michelle Kwan's Salome

All I can think of for now.

on a totally side note, I do wish some from Men would do a 'Casablanca' program upcoming season...