2017 World Team Trophy - Day 2 | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Day 2

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Heeeey, the music is great. The problem is the execution...

I dislike the music too. Especially those parts I find annoying :slink: Granted I dislike Queens music (well 90% of it makes me feel itchy - and they're in minority of bands of which I find their most famous songs to be their best, those less little known are often well not quite satisfying for me ... Freddie Mercury was one of the best vocalists in the history I admit though). Their skating also does not sell it for me and trust me there are programs that I like despite the music that I dislike or that I am indifferent towards.

https://youtu.be/NvIk-R2VNbg?t=2m16s - when Mr Bowie joins into that something makes me rebel and I dislike it so much how inharmonious it sounds to my ears :sad4:
https://youtu.be/NvIk-R2VNbg?t=3m13s

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Mikhail Kolyada does it for me every time. There's something absolutely wonderful about him. I hope he works out the kinks and he's competing for the podium next season.

Yes, he has that effortless quality that I like about him. I also appreciate quirkiness.

da96103

Record Breaker
This was a messy skate for most skaters. Patrick was better than his last competitions, still his Axel needs a revamp. But I have a big problem with his costume. That nice blue and burgundy t shirt does not work with those black pants at all. The shirt would be good with grey or same type of blue pants or jeans. I like he does not use glittery clothes still that was like bad matching, and it's not the first time. I think he needs a girlfriend to help him in this business.

Too bad for you that you'll see the same costume in the first two of his events next season.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Love this tweet from Kaitlyn Weaver, so I'm posting it here as well:

"I'm so happy I skate in the era of Jason Brown."

https://twitter.com/WeaverPoje/statu...81143067033600

My new favorite ice dancer:bow:

As I told the WeaPo families when I met them last year at nationals, they should be proud of these 2 as individuals and who they have become, irrespective of their on ice performances and remarkable accomplishments.

madforskating

On the Ice
just finished cleaning and carved some time to watch performances du jour...I chose for now to re-watch WeaPo,Vanessa/Morgan, Jason and Patrick since the reactions there were quite enthusiastic and I was eager to see how those performances looked like. And they did not disappoint me

WeaPo - simply STUNNING!!! Everything just flew seamlessly together in a one, perfect moment: the music, their movement, the emotion. From the very first adjustment to opening pose, when they lowered their arms together in unison, while not standing face to face, I felt the unity, continuity and calm over the dance because of them, not the program itself. Love Kaitlyn's finish of hands/arms in movement - so in character of the piece and precise; love Andrew's partnering and an aura of care over whole performance, how well he presents his partner and himself at the same time - it takes maybe not a skill, but an instinct, natural feel of dynamics on ice taken from years of experience and deep understanding of each other. Today those little details, especially in going in/out of lifts, were so 'tasty', enriched the program and impression of it in a great way. This hands rise and split just before twizzles - perfectly done with musical tempo change, you just have to feel not only the music, not only steps, but also the partner to do such natural, organic-looking little things speaking so loudly and being so impactful. Lifts - perfectly emphasised music and their strenghts at the same time, step sequences were fabulously done, with sharpness and confidence, yet softly and in unforced manner, so easy on eyes...Looking at 'Aranjuez' performed, skated and expressed so deeply, maturely and exquisitely I'm coming to a thought that the thing about WeaPo is the 'simpler' and more direct material/concept is (in terms of program idea/emotions expressed), the more spectacular and impactful effect is. They play the best on simple, honest, direct and raw emotions, on sensuality and closure between them and between them and music,no elaborate,complicated concept is needed to look spectacular for them. This sensuality, magnetism they embody have potential to wow and hypnotize audiences. And they are one of very few teams who are actually telling the story they want to portray in-between elements, through transitions using them not as 'fillers', but as a space for dialouge. Watching them in their prime requires and allows you to just feel, not to think.

Vanessa and Morgan - chapeaux bas once again this season! Not only the program is a fabulous vehicle itself, but boy,their attitude, presentation, attack and this 'French thing' about them I can't even put my finger on - just spot on for that kind of edgy stuff. The amount of thought put into that program and performance is beyond remarkable: from insane transitions into elements, smooth exists,musicality, details, finishing movement to overall polish achieved. There was intricacy and sensuality, tension so rare to see in pairs skating nowadays, yet I feel the confidence, attetion and focus from them in execution. Vanessa never lost her attention on selling the stuff, having expressive momentum going,Morgan - never failed to carry the performance and be focused over execution, assistance to Vanessa in elements. It just oozed quality and sophistication. And that salt on the end from Morgan - what a diva, both of them!

Jason once again brought me to the place of pure feeling - the level of his care about integrity, continuity and being believable/authentic in that very moment of performance each time gets me deeply. I can just look and appreciate the effortless effect of finishing, detail his movement has in motion, overwhelming grace of it, how sensitive he is over reflecting the music through every part of his body, how much thought and deliberation he put into transitions to look so 'rich' and individual, unique like himself and his skating. Those aspects aforesaid, maybe not very visible or taken care of by viewers, yet they are what I see the most about Jason's skating, because they are his signatures, personal stamps over FS world and not very often such things can be seen. Since rare and so precious - they should be recognized and treasured in my opinion, becuse they make into something truly special, something that is not screaming for attention by being loud, but commands it in a simple, natural way because of its sheer beauty. I think that by such performance, Jason once again gives us a lesson of understanding about FS, its different values, qualities and elements, how they could shine and work exquisitely for different skaters in their respective aethetics and approaches towards discipline. And personally I am just glad that Jason is the person who 'infects' this kind of diversity and embracing your own path successfully,with so much admiration and respect given to him and by him to other skaters at the same time. And what a beautiful, moving lesson of Jason that is...There's simplicity of his attire, purity of lines created by his body, honesty and natual feel in gestures/expression, yet he feels so dynamic, lively and engaged, it's a great thing to see this kind of commitment, a 'desire' to unify imposed standards, but make them breathe in a space created by Jason. And there's hope, light in his every skate, why? Because he's like that outside of skating, taking his life philosophy inside his passion. No wonder why so many people are feeling just plain good, uplifted by Jason's skating.

Regarding Patrick, I think he also gave some kind of 'lesson' by his performance. A lesson of being in absolute agreement between senses, especially between hearing and feeling. He was truly in unity with the music, in understanding of its specific and at the same time interpreting, creating multiple dimensions, layers to uncover by viewers using different sensors. For me, those layers were very intricate and transparent, yet strong and defined due Patrick's character and personality which made them. Patrick was able also to sense out the moods of the music and adjust himself - body and expression - to them with such flexibility and detail. For me, the level of execution pleasing enough for particuar viewer can be always argued on, but I do think that the level of skill/performance quality Patrick presents each time in his programs just can't be denied or simply overlooked. And the paradox of this is how those basics - honed to perfection - make Patrick's skating look so special, unique and standing out. There is a thought put inside every stop, turn, arm movement, yet it never feels mechanical, just flows and breathes inside Patrick. Probably the only skater enable to express classical/lyrical music being a part of the orchestra, blending seamlessly inside notes.

My thoughts precisely!!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
just finished cleaning and carved some time to watch performances du jour...I chose for now to re-watch WeaPo,Vanessa/Morgan, Jason and Patrick since the reactions there were quite enthusiastic and I was eager to see how those performances looked like. And they did not disappoint me

WeaPo - simply STUNNING!!! Everything just flew seamlessly together in a one, perfect moment: the music, their movement, the emotion. From the very first adjustment to opening pose, when they lowered their arms together in unison, while not standing face to face, I felt the unity, continuity and calm over the dance because of them, not the program itself. Love Kaitlyn's finish of hands/arms in movement - so in character of the piece and precise; love Andrew's partnering and an aura of care over whole performance, how well he presents his partner and himself at the same time - it takes maybe not a skill, but an instinct, natural feel of dynamics on ice taken from years of experience and deep understanding of each other. Today those little details, especially in going in/out of lifts, were so 'tasty', enriched the program and impression of it in a great way. This hands rise and split just before twizzles - perfectly done with musical tempo change, you just have to feel not only the music, not only steps, but also the partner to do such natural, organic-looking little things speaking so loudly and being so impactful. Lifts - perfectly emphasised music and their strenghts at the same time, step sequences were fabulously done, with sharpness and confidence, yet softly and in unforced manner, so easy on eyes...Looking at 'Aranjuez' performed, skated and expressed so deeply, maturely and exquisitely I'm coming to a thought that the thing about WeaPo is the 'simpler' and more direct material/concept is (in terms of program idea/emotions expressed), the more spectacular and impactful effect is. They play the best on simple, honest, direct and raw emotions, on sensuality and closure between them and between them and music,no elaborate,complicated concept is needed to look spectacular for them. This sensuality, magnetism they embody have potential to wow and hypnotize audiences. And they are one of very few teams who are actually telling the story they want to portray in-between elements, through transitions using them not as 'fillers', but as a space for dialouge. Watching them in their prime requires and allows you to just feel, not to think.

Vanessa and Morgan - chapeaux bas once again this season! Not only the program is a fabulous vehicle itself, but boy,their attitude, presentation, attack and this 'French thing' about them I can't even put my finger on - just spot on for that kind of edgy stuff. The amount of thought put into that program and performance is beyond remarkable: from insane transitions into elements, smooth exists,musicality, details, finishing movement to overall polish achieved. There was intricacy and sensuality, tension so rare to see in pairs skating nowadays, yet I feel the confidence, attetion and focus from them in execution. Vanessa never lost her attention on selling the stuff, having expressive momentum going,Morgan - never failed to carry the performance and be focused over execution, assistance to Vanessa in elements. It just oozed quality and sophistication. And that salt on the end from Morgan - what a diva, both of them!

Jason once again brought me to the place of pure feeling - the level of his care about integrity, continuity and being believable/authentic in that very moment of performance each time gets me deeply. I can just look and appreciate the effortless effect of finishing, detail his movement has in motion, overwhelming grace of it, how sensitive he is over reflecting the music through every part of his body, how much thought and deliberation he put into transitions to look so 'rich' and individual, unique like himself and his skating. Those aspects aforesaid, maybe not very visible or taken care of by viewers, yet they are what I see the most about Jason's skating, because they are his signatures, personal stamps over FS world and not very often such things can be seen. Since rare and so precious - they should be recognized and treasured in my opinion, becuse they make into something truly special, something that is not screaming for attention by being loud, but commands it in a simple, natural way because of its sheer beauty. I think that by such performance, Jason once again gives us a lesson of understanding about FS, its different values, qualities and elements, how they could shine and work exquisitely for different skaters in their respective aethetics and approaches towards discipline. And personally I am just glad that Jason is the person who 'infects' this kind of diversity and embracing your own path successfully,with so much admiration and respect given to him and by him to other skaters at the same time. And what a beautiful, moving lesson of Jason that is...There's simplicity of his attire, purity of lines created by his body, honesty and natual feel in gestures/expression, yet he feels so dynamic, lively and engaged, it's a great thing to see this kind of commitment, a 'desire' to unify imposed standards, but make them breathe in a space created by Jason. And there's hope, light in his every skate, why? Because he's like that outside of skating, taking his life philosophy inside his passion. No wonder why so many people are feeling just plain good, uplifted by Jason's skating.

Regarding Patrick, I think he also gave some kind of 'lesson' by his performance. A lesson of being in absolute agreement between senses, especially between hearing and feeling. He was truly in unity with the music, in understanding of its specific and at the same time interpreting, creating multiple dimensions, layers to uncover by viewers using different sensors. For me, those layers were very intricate and transparent, yet strong and defined due Patrick's character and personality which made them. Patrick was able also to sense out the moods of the music and adjust himself - body and expression - to them with such flexibility and detail. For me, the level of execution pleasing enough for particuar viewer can be always argued on, but I do think that the level of skill/performance quality Patrick presents each time in his programs just can't be denied or simply overlooked. And the paradox of this is how those basics - honed to perfection - make Patrick's skating look so special, unique and standing out. There is a thought put inside every stop, turn, arm movement, yet it never feels mechanical, just flows and breathes inside Patrick. Probably the only skater enable to express classical/lyrical music being a part of the orchestra, blending seamlessly inside notes.

I agree but for some reason the judges don't see Patrick as that special. I really think his fs, no sp, but the fs is just amazing. poetry on ice. He is so attuned to the music and his body. Who cares about the jumps. Bliss. Sublime When the Skater becomes one with the ice.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
OMG....WTH is happening?

This is adorable and scary!

(Although I can't help thinking how utterly hilarious it would be if the panda took its head off and it was Mao under there!!

Also a panda? Wrong country guys! :p)

I could be wrong but I think he's the mascot for the sponsor TV Asahi. They were selling GOE panda towels and I was really tempted, but what am I going to do with a towel only good for figure skating competition.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I don't think I'd given enough love and support for Kolyada unlike last season. Honestly I'm so glad for not seeing the programs any more. I don't see any difference from both and the SP is a recycled one. When I first saw it last season, it looked fresh and fun, but I became so bored with them towards the end of the season. His attempt to use a new SP was rejected by the Russian feds with a very short-sighted mindset, so he is not entirely responsible for that though. Although he's a prince of quirky programs, I really hope that the Fed doesn't push him to continue on doing the same concept. I'm sure he can do well at plenty of other themes with his good jump techniques and SS as well as presentation skills. Give him a good package; programs and costumes, not the current tacky ones.

Last edited:

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Isn't this the first ever quadruple-1Lo jump in competition?

It is! He's also the first man to land three quad in the second half of the program.

I'm just going thru the thread since I was too busy watching and experiencing yesterday.

waterblades

On the Ice
Just watches M/C short program wow just wow. Love the program and love them they are my favourites by far this season. I wish the main channels in North America would show them as they would definitely bring fans to the sport.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I could be wrong but I think he's the mascot for the sponsor TV Asahi. They were selling GOE panda towels and I was really tempted, but what am I going to do with a towel only good for figure skating competition.

Oh I dunno, I'd take mine to the beach or the gym or depending on how small it is to the ice rink to clean my skates :)laugh: which makes me sound cool, but I'm a totally basic skater, I can't even go backwards!)

But that's so cool that you get to be there in person! Who was you favourite skater today?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't think I'd given enough love and support for Kolyada unlike last season. Honestly I'm so glad for not seeing the programs any more. I don't see any difference from both and the SP is a recycled one. When I first saw it last season, it looked fresh and fun, but I became so bored with them towards the end of the season. His attempt to use a new SP was rejected by the Russian feds with a very short-sighted mindset, so he is not entirely responsible for that though. Although he's a prince of quirky programs, I really hope that the Fed doesn't push him to continue on doing the same concept. I'm sure he can do well at plenty of other themes with his good jump techniques and SS as well as presentation skills. Give him a good package; programs and costumes, not the current tacky ones.

My thoughts exactly. I guess I don't find him so quirky or unique when he plays a puppet or a clown in every single program. Unfortunately it seems he will keep the same choreographer next season. :( Why not take up Stephane Lambiel on his offer instead? I don't understand.

nicfanz

Rinkside
A lot of people on this forum seem to think there is too much emphasis on technical aspects rather than performance (e.g. Nathan's quad filled programs scoring higher than Jason Brown's programs) but they nitpick Shoma's jumps constantly. Every time after his performance, I see complaints about underrotation/overrotation/shaky landing, etc. How can we complain that judges only care about jumps when we care just as much?

TMC

Record Breaker
A lot of people on this forum seem to think there is too much emphasis on technical aspects rather than performance (e.g. Nathan's quad filled programs scoring higher than Jason Brown's programs) but they nitpick Shoma's jumps constantly. Every time after his performance, I see complaints about underrotation/overrotation/shaky landing, etc. How can we complain that judges only care about jumps when we care just as much?

I don't think it's the same thing though? I mean both Jason's triples and Nathan's quads are technically flawless, some people just think the extra quad revolution gives too many additional points on the PCS side. But Shoma has some real problems with the technical quality of the jumps, and the rotation as well. And I say this as a huge Shoma fan; he is definitely my favourite Japanese skater and one of my favourite male skaters overall. I would just like to see him fix his teknik a little. :)