2017 World Team Trophy - Day 2 | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Day 2

nicfanz

Rinkside
I don't think it's the same thing though? I mean both Jason's triples and Nathan's quads are technically flawless, some people just think the extra quad revolution gives too many additional points on the PCS side. But Shoma has some real problems with the technical quality of the jumps, and the rotation as well. And I say this as a huge Shoma fan; he is definitely my favourite Japanese skater and one of my favourite male skaters overall. I would just like to see him fix his teknik a little. :)

I get what you are saying. I just feel it's a little hypocritical to say it's not all about quads/technical components then nitpick Shoma's flawed jumps. I get a feeling that technical components seem to matter more when it's against a skater who's not a favorite (i.e. Shoma) but certain skaters get a pass on technical (Brown). Just my opinion.

TMC

Record Breaker
I get what you are saying. I just feel it's a little hypocritical to say it's not all about quads/technical components then nitpick Shoma's flawed jumps. I get a feeling that technical components seem to matter more when it's against a skater who's not a favorite (i.e. Shoma) but certain skaters get a pass on technical (Brown). Just my opinion.

I wouldn't say Jason "gets a pass" on anything; people are constantly complaining about his lack of quads. He wouldn't get the points he gets if his tech wasn't almost perfect, and neither should he. I don't think anybody's saying that too much emphasis on quality is a problem, I think it's more about quantity being rewarded too generously (ie. huge points for rotated falls, quads giving a PCS boost etc.).

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Oh I dunno, I'd take mine to the beach or the gym or depending on how small it is to the ice rink to clean my skates :)laugh: which makes me sound cool, but I'm a totally basic skater, I can't even go backwards!)

But that's so cool that you get to be there in person! Who was you favourite skater today?

It's hand towel size so wouldn't work for the beach. Could work as an exercise towel. Just wasn't willing to spend $20 after spending an ungodly amount of money on tickets this weekend.

Obviously, since I went to see Yuzu, he's my favorite. :) The dude is intense. He gets in the zone where he's just completely focused on his skating. We're cheering him on the whole time but he doesn't seem to hear anything until after the skate is over. He jumps SO high. He's super fast, on par with the ice dancers actually and lands petal soft. Some of the others land with a huge thud (especially Nathan and the higher scoring French guy). Those guys are going to have so much joint issues in the future with how high impact they land.

I don't follow pairs anymore, but was pleasantly surprised by the French pair. Never watched Ice Dance before but was really impressed by their speed and Weaver and Poje.

Other than Yuzuru, it was great watching Jason. Patrick still isn't my favorite but his skating skills are to die for. Boyang is a bit like Bambi on ice stumbling around. Seriously he was tripping over his own feet just doing two footed skating. Other than the few parts of audience participation, he really wasn't performing much to us. Nathan's program is as empty in person as it is on screen. Shoma is a great showman and have good skating skills. I'm just surprised how low his jumps are in person and how cheated they look in real time.

Loved watching it in a packed house of enthusiastic figure skating fans who were ready to start clapping at a moment's notice. If the tickets are reasonable and won't bankrupt me like these tickets did, I'm willing to see it again in Japan. Only thing is the language barrier and I went alone. The first day I made friends with a pair of older Hanyu fans so that's cool. Second day I got told off because I was taking pictures and videos by my seat mates. Oh well. I just pretended to be a dumb blind tourist.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It's hand towel size so wouldn't work for the beach. Could work as an exercise towel. Just wasn't willing to spend $20 after spending an ungodly amount of money on tickets this weekend.

Obviously, since I went to see Yuzu, he's my favorite. :) The dude is intense. He gets in the zone where he's just completely focused on his skating. We're cheering him on the whole time but he doesn't seem to hear anything until after the skate is over. He jumps SO high. He's super fast, on par with the ice dancers actually and lands petal soft. Some of the others land with a huge thud (especially Nathan and the higher scoring French guy). Those guys are going to have so much joint issues in the future with how high impact they land.

I don't follow pairs anymore, but was pleasantly surprised by the French pair. Never watched Ice Dance before but was really impressed by their speed and Weaver and Poje.

Other than Yuzuru, it was great watching Jason. Patrick still isn't my favorite but his skating skills are to die for. Boyang is a bit like Bambi on ice stumbling around. Seriously he was tripping over his own feet just doing two footed skating. Other than the few parts of audience participation, he really wasn't performing much to us. Nathan's program is as empty in person as it is on screen. Shoma is a great showman and have good skating skills. I'm just surprised how low his jumps are in person and how cheated they look in real time.

Loved watching it in a packed house of enthusiastic figure skating fans who were ready to start clapping at a moment's notice. If the tickets are reasonable and won't bankrupt me like these tickets did, I'm willing to see it again in Japan. Only thing is the language barrier and I went alone. The first day I made friends with a pair of older Hanyu fans so that's cool. Second day I got told off because I was taking pictures and videos by my seat mates. Oh well. I just pretended to be a dumb blind tourist.

Thank you again for your rinkside reports - they're so vivid, and it's really been fun to hear your impressions!

da96103

Record Breaker
I could be wrong but I think he's the mascot for the sponsor TV Asahi. They were selling GOE panda towels and I was really tempted, but what am I going to do with a towel only good for figure skating competition.

A Grade of Execution panda towel? What does it do? Give you a rating of -3 to +3 of dryness?