Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017 | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Buyanova who is by no means a friend of Eteri said in the inteview today very good things which some of our "experts" here keep ignoring:

Take Zhenya Medvedeva. She withstood so many competitions, she wins everything for the second year, in a roll, before winning everything as a junior. Only a professional can judge what an enormous work is behind that, what a reserve of strength has been created. Then comes Alina Zagitova. Very lively with soft skating. The emergence of such athletes is first of all the accomplishment of their coaches. One can speculate, like this - don't like that. Why don't you try to do it yourself? Coaches and their athletes deliver results - that's it!

http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/2993-elena-buyanova-u-nashikh-sportsmenok-silnyj-kharakter.html

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Buyanova who is by no means a friend of Eteri said in the inteview today very good things which some of our "experts" here keep ignoring:

Take Zhenya Medvedeva. She withstood so many competitions, she wins everything for the second year, in a roll, before winning everything as a junior. Only a professional can judge what an enormous work is behind that, what a reserve of strength has been created. Then comes Alina Zagitova. Very lively with soft skating. The emergence of such athletes is first of all the accomplishment of their coaches. One can speculate, like this - don't like that. Why don't you try to do it yourself? Coaches and their athletes deliver results - that's it!

http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/2993-elena-buyanova-u-nashikh-sportsmenok-silnyj-kharakter.html

That Buyanova interview was quite a stark constrast to Eteri's - she kept it classy and didn't say a bad word about any skater. Gee, I didn't think Russians could be so "politically correct," according to you. :rolleye: And she makes it sound like Adian is pretty much done because of his injuries. Thanks, Eteri!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
That Buyanova interview was quite a stark constrast to Eteri's - she kept it classy and didn't say a bad word about any skater. Gee, I didn't think Russians could be so "politically correct," according to you. :rolleye: And she makes it sound like Adian is pretty much done because of his injuries. Thanks, Eteri!

She wrote in her "classy" interview about Adelina:

"The athlete got injured before GP in Moscow. Before she had not had any serious issues. But after the OG she relaxed, did not train like before. Then it all accumulated - little bit of this and little bit of that - and then an injury. And that later on it went wrong, I can understand her - the temptation is too big".

Then she laments a bit that Adelina just sent her an SMS that she goes to Plushy which made her offended. Then she said that Plushy has a weird rink and has not coached a single athlete yet, etc.

I don't want to argue with you about it: everyone can read or google Buyanova's interview for oneself and make up her mind on how politically correct Buyanova is. What I wanted to tell is that she supports Eteri and criticizes those unnamed who try to diminish Eteri's achievements. And she even uses a "forbidden" tool: "if you are so clever, try it yourself".

And I won't argue with anyone else who will see anything else in this interview that I did not see to support the ongoing debate on "how evil Eteri is".

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I think it's too easy to say that the woman is a witch, a tyrant, that Russia is full of mean coaches who work the skaters too hard, etc. But I'm willing to believe that eteri does care about her students.
What concerns me is the fact that she teaches them jumps jumps jumps and calls it artistry.
I just say a Russian documentary on Alina and evgenia and was SO PLEASED to see that even in Russia, home of the baby gymnast skaters, people involved in the sport are worried that it's just becoming "robots jumping." I really want eteri to have her students focus on the sport as an art.

moriel

Record Breaker
I think it's too easy to say that the woman is a witch, a tyrant, that Russia is full of mean coaches who work the skaters too hard, etc. But I'm willing to believe that eteri does care about her students.
What concerns me is the fact that she teaches them jumps jumps jumps and calls it artistry.
I just say a Russian documentary on Alina and evgenia and was SO PLEASED to see that even in Russia, home of the baby gymnast skaters, people involved in the sport are worried that it's just becoming "robots jumping." I really want eteri to have her students focus on the sport as an art.

Honestly, i wouldnt say that Medvedeva is just jumpsjumpsjumps.
She is a pretty good artist too.
Tsurskaya improved her artistry a lot last year.
I´m sure next season Alina will look more mature and polished too.
Yulia wasnt jumps only with Eteri either.

They way you wrote it, sounds more like Mishin than Eteri.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
If Eteri thinks jumps are artistry, she does not need to bother to infuse stories into Evgenia or Polina's programs. Her students are not art masters but for their age, they are doing pretty well. I looked at some dance videos of Eteri's group, and I have to say her girls can dance, even the little ones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqnUPRC5ewo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsDmcw4ch6k

Tutto

Record Breaker

Buianova=Russian Fed - did you expect her to say any different about a coach who brings in gold medals? Even if she has her own opinion on the subject she has to keep it to herself. I agree with silverfoxes her interview is totally different from Eteri's. Yes she says that she was upset that Adelina sent her a sms and did not tell her in person. Who would not? She's coached her since Adelina was 8 ye old girl. Upset is not = being spiteful & making public personal details like Eteri did. Only a blind can not see the difference.
Nobody questions that Eteri is a successful coach, her ethics have been in question in this thread but you keep ignoring that difference. For some people success justifies the means, for some -not. As long as Eteri's students win medals, everything else will be overlooked by the former- after all some waste is expected in any manufacturing process.

"The athlete got injured before GP in Moscow. Before she had not had any serious issues. But after the OG she relaxed, did not train like before. Then it all accumulated - little bit of this and little bit of that - and then an injury. And that later on it went wrong, I can understand her - the temptation is too big".

Then she laments a bit that Adelina just sent her an SMS that she goes to Plushy which made her offended. Then she said that Plushy has a weird rink and has not coached a single athlete yet, etc.

I don't want to argue with you about it: everyone can read or google Buyanova's interview for oneself and make up her mind on how politically correct Buyanova is. What I wanted to tell is that she supports Eteri and criticizes those unnamed who try to diminish Eteri's achievements. And she even uses a "forbidden" tool: "if you are so clever, try it yourself".

And I won't argue with anyone else who will see anything else in this interview that I did not see to support the ongoing debate on "how evil Eteri is".

Buianova also talks about how she intentionally keeps her group small because she wants to give her students maximum attention. Also she says how sorry she is to see Adian's talent & potential unrealised due to injury which turned into a chronic one.
She didn't blame Eteri or directly compared her approach to Eteri's factory but anyone who could read between lines - can get a'drift'

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
It does matter though if one is a no nonsense kind of woman whose style is different from, say, a matronly and nurturing type of woman, and one has a male student that wants to be 'coddled' or emotionally propped. Again, I want to reiterate, no one style is better than the idea, because I am of the idea that a woman can be both and it's fine. And reactions to both of those styles can be different. And I DID NOT say the problem is with her sex (who ever said it's a problem being a woman? that's just misogynistic) - when there is a possibility that a man reacts negatively to reinforcements or instructions from a woman, how can it be the woman's fault? :/
All I'm saying is there can be possible personality clashes between students and coaches, and while gender may come into play in forms of WHY these personalities may clash (sometimes men expect women to be agreeable (because research do find that women ARE generally more agreeable than men)... and find out they're not), it is by no mean, a 'problem'.

I did see a rusport article where Eteri basically said coaching boys are difficult because (in her words, roughly translated from google), boy want to be 'pitied' and 'they want to feel like they are loved'. Where as girls are 'more ready for work' (I take that as more agreeable to tasks set by the coach), and latter fits her coaching style more.

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20170428/1119723063.html

I don't 'buy' that theory that boys are in a greater need of pity and empathy. Girls need support too, it just those girls who got as far as they done to be in Eteri's group - have already gone through a 'sieve' of immense competition which the Russian ladies field is at the moment. They have to be immensely strong mentally and even if they want some emotional support they would not want to show it in fear to be replaced by the next in line.
The situation with boys is totally different and by the way Buianova confirms in that interview discussed above that not many boys come and from those who began skating after the first year many leave for hockey - probably the strongest mentally-hockey is seen as a more masculine sport compared to FS?
And it is not like Eteri is incapable of emotional support - she is all the smiles & hugs in the K&C when her students win, it is when things begin go south she turns on a 'I am not emotional person' mode.

Last edited:

ewdokia

On the Ice

No one of the „Experts“ denies Eteris success, but the means she uses to achieve her goals needs to be seriously questioned. But I see that Eteri’s “fanclub” follows her approach: success is Eteri’s, failure subject to anybody else.

Since Buyanova now gave that interview sadly revealing Adian’s state conclusion can be drawn from it easily: Adian was on constant therapy with Buynova, still we have a skater who just turned 19 and with highest probability has to finish his career soon since his injury had chronified so much under his previous coach that even with best treatment possible, it couldn’t be cured. Had Adian gotten the type of treatment with Eteri after JW in 2015 at the latest, he’d probably would be still competing with the top guys. See the difference? One coach having an underage skater competing for two years on a severe injury leading to early retirement – the other one seeing a talent still worth long term investment and trying for almost 1,5 year to cure that skater?

If you don’t see the difference in the tone of the interview, you seem to be in the need of glasses! Putting their comments on certain issues in nutshell might help:

Buyanova on Adelina: Olmypics a special start, you are empty after that. Today she knows better about it, that time not enough experience. Felt that Adelina needed time after the Omypics. Injury might have played a role. After the Olympics Adelina didn’t train like before. = She admits that she also might not have enough experience with the situation and also shows understanding for the athlete.
Obviously she has doubts if it's not only words and if Adelina can indeed return, but she wishes her good.

Eteri on Julia (TV after coach change in 2016): I understand everything, except an athlete who does not want to work. …With THAT girl, I did everything I could. = Meaning: I don’t’ care why an athlete doesn’t train like before / enough, if it happens I’m done with that athlete. It's not from this interview, but reflects a similar situation and Eteri's character.

Eteri on Adian (when skating severly injured): Didn’t want to compete at Euros, didn’t want to train, run away, throw his skates in the bin, was provocative (who wouldn’t be in that state?) – no word on the boy being pressured by Eteri to skate severely injured, no understanding on the skater being in pain and of course not how much she has harmed Adian’s health. :(

Buyanova on Adian: She understands how difficult Adians situation is. Has been treated for a year. Due to that they couldn’t train a full forth. Praising Adians talent. He needs to decide if he can go on. = No force to skate on any injury making it even worse, full treatment, understanding for the athlete, giving him mental support by praising his talent.

This is Day and Night! And as it has been mentioned by you prior that poor Eteri received zero return on investment on Aidan – totally wrong, that’s Buyanova, who could be totally frustrated about zero return on investement. Still she said very warm and understanding words on Adian (and that in every interview so far!).

Concerning that SMS – I still have to see Adelina opposing to that story. :biggrin:

Adding to say I don’t like Buyanova either, if you’d told me some years ago I’ll ever bring her as a role model on perfect ethics, I’d have laughed in your face. But at least Buyanova does not treat skaters as material who are obliged to bring her return of investment. Basically you can say with Eteri I learned even Buyanova has her qualities. :devil:

Congrats, with this attitude a discussion board is the right place for you! :rofl2:

Last edited:

ewdokia

On the Ice
That's true, Yags was more than a little annoyed about the attention Mishin gave to Plushy, I think he once said that when he (Yags) won his first World Championships Mishin was more bummed out that Plushy had got third! When he moved Tarasova Yags felt a lot more loved that's for sure. :biggrin: (He's still her favourite I think!)

On the other hand Plushy calls Mishin his second father and Mishin sees him like a son, although I wouldn't say Mishin 'pitied' Plushy at any time. Interestingly enough until taking on Tuk Mishin had a similar attitude toward female students as Eteri has to male ones - i.e they needed too much coddling.

I guess this just proves...Russian coaches need to take each student's individuality into account more...or something :laugh:
Considering the Yags – Plushy story one has to take into account that when Alexej was still very young, Alexej’s father left them to live with another family. He in particular might have been looking for a bit of a father substitute in his coach and I assume that he might have been extremely hurt when Mishin preferred Plushy (he possibly felt that just another psychological parent neglected him). It’s a very special case.

Ender

Match Penalty
Considering the Yags – Plushy story one has to take into account that when Alexej was still very young, Alexej’s father left them to live with another family. He in particular might have been looking for a bit of a father substitute in his coach and I assume that he might have been extremely hurt when Mishin preferred Plushy (he possibly felt that just another psychological parent neglected him). It’s a very special case.
I see. So Yagudin got the motherly love from Tarasova. I don't know about other male skaters's condition and relationships with their coaches so much. But it seems male skaters need more attention and cuddling than ladies? It's funny to see this happening.

OniBan

Final Flight
I don't 'buy' that theory that boys are in a greater need of pity and empathy. Girls need support too, it just those girls who got as far as they done to be in Eteri's group - have already gone through a 'sieve' of immense competition which the Russian ladies field is at the moment. They have to be immensely strong mentally and even if they want some emotional support they would not want to show it in fear to be replaced by the next in line.
The situation with boys is totally different and by the way Buianova confirms in that interview discussed above that not many boys come and from those who began skating after the first year many leave for hockey - probably the strongest mentally-hockey is seen as a more masculine sport compared to FS?
And it is not like Eteri is incapable of emotional support - she is all the smiles & hugs in the K&C when her students win, it is when things begin go south she turns on a 'I am not emotional person' mode.

I actually think you and Eteri share a lot of the same mindset, tbh XDDD. Ever thought of taking up coaching ? hehe

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I remember watching some documentaries about promising Russian ballerinas and one of them was turned away from some lucrative school just because her legs were 1cm too short regarding her torso:eeking:

I actually think this type of selection is a good idea, kind of an example of having to be cruel to be kind.
I was put in swimming from 12 months old (predominantly because Australian children all love to swim), and as I loved it, it just became "my" sport and I continued to train and compete through college. However being only 5'3, 98lbs, I was at a distinct disadvantage considering that many other girls could easily be 5'10 + and a good 30 + pounds heavier. When national team coaches would see me for the first time, they would think I was an extremely talented 12 year old, as twelve year olds are already quite big in in stature in swimming! Lol.
I was adopted as a baby, and so my parents had no idea what body type I would grow up to have...if only they'd known I'd have a pretty ideal skating physique!! *sigh* (well, and the money to pursue it ;) ).
So yes, it does seem harsh to turn away a young child, but long term it is much better for them to be placed in sports that they have the body type to succeed more easily.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I actually think this type of selection is a good idea, kind of an example of having to be cruel to be kind.
I was put in swimming from 12 months old (predominantly because Australian children all love to swim), and as I loved it, it just became "my" sport and I continued to train and compete through college. However being only 5'3, 98lbs, I was at a distinct disadvantage considering that many other girls could easily be 5'10 + and a good 30 + pounds heavier. When national team coaches would see me for the first time, they would think I was an extremely talented 12 year old, as twelve year olds are already quite big in in stature in swimming! Lol.
I was adopted as a baby, and so my parents had no idea what body type I would grow up to have...if only they'd known I'd have a pretty ideal skating physique!! *sigh* (well, and the money to pursue it ;) ).
So yes, it does seem harsh to turn away a young child, but long term it is much better for them to be placed in sports that they have the body type to succeed more easily.

Some years ago in one of the threads here I wrote about the selection in my country . This is a well-known method, for example in handball the sport clubs announce a recruitment selection. The trainers measure and ask many things. The children's age, weight, height, foots' size, the hands' size, the parents' height. The handball needs very athletic sportmen in general.

But unfortunately this doesn't really work today. The children don't want to do sports. Thus every sports are happy if they can get kids. Any kids! Despite our system is similar to the Russian system. Many things are state-funded not everything as was in the communist era but many things!

Ender

Match Penalty
Even if you're not adopted, it's still difficult to tell exactly how your body would grow up.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Even if you're not adopted, it's still difficult to tell exactly how your body would grow up.

True. I remember McKayla Maloney saying that she was worried that she might grow too tall for gymnastics as she wasn't sure whether she'd be tall like her Dad or short like Mom.

I imagine in most cases though there is at least a semblance of an idea of who your child might turn out like.

Personally I place my faith in that hand-scan thing (don't know the proper name) that dentists use to determine how much growth a child has left (performed in order to determine whether or when to remove wisdom teeth etc). However even that probably can't be performed until a child has already reached the age of training heavily in their chosen sport.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Some years ago in one of the threads here I wrote about the selection in my country . This is a well-known method, for example in handball the sport clubs announce a recruitment selection. The trainers measure and ask many things. The children's age, weight, height, foots' size, the hands' size, the parents' height. The handball needs very athletic sportmen in general.

But unfortunately this doesn't really work today. The children don't want to do sports. Thus every sports are happy if they can get kids. Any kids! Despite our system is similar to the Russian system. Many things are state-funded not everything as was in the communist era but many things!

We had this system in Australian, testing took place in our high schools to determine arm reach, speed, vertical jump etc, it was in the lead up to and wake of the Sydney Olympics. It mainly selected students for sports like rowing and cycling though, sports that can be taken up at an older age, and yes it too was a government funded initiative.
It didn't extend to all sports and certainly didn't include winter sports, unfortunately.

Ender

Match Penalty
True. I remember McKayla Maloney saying that she was worried that she might grow too tall for gymnastics as she wasn't sure whether she'd be tall like her Dad or short like Mom.

I imagine in most cases though there is at least a semblance of an idea of who your child might turn out like.

Personally I place my faith in that hand-scan thing (don't know the proper name) that dentists use to determine how much growth a child has left (performed in order to determine whether or when to remove wisdom teeth etc). However even that probably can't be performed until a child has already reached the age of training heavily in their chosen sport.

My mom was chubby and my father was chubby, so when I was a kid I wouldn't know how I would look like when I grew up. It would be easier if both parents are equally high or short.

Anyway, I agree some certain body types are meant for some certain sports. It doesn't mean there is not outliner

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No, when you only tunnel vision on that you lose the ability to get there in the first place, or at least to sustain it. Plus there is more to skating than just what gets a medal. Nobody cares if you win a medal if they don't care for your skating. If a skater wants an actual career then they will need to be aware of more.

Yeah but skaters/coaches don't care for those who don't care for their skating. I'm pretty sure Eteri/Med don't care about the haters amidst the majority of the skating world respecting her and of course, the programs win. Which is way more significant and important than ascribing to what a minority of people (who aren't the judges, at that) think they SHOULD be doing.

I think Eteri's students' choreography isn't particularly groundbreaking but she does push her students to challenge themselves in other areas. Medvedeva' transitions and footwork do get progressively more difficult, and she is projecting better, even if the interpretation is lacking.

She might be remembered as a harsh coach but she does what's necessary for her skaters to win. Nobody will ever remember that Evgenia won with (in your opinion) tacky programs - they'll only remember her dominance and consistency (and contrary to your assertion, there are PLENTY who care for her skating even if it's not Kostner level choreo/interpretation. She also wouldn't be the first skater (especially Russian skaters) to do tacky programs and win Worlds and (likely) the Olympics. Even Mao had some "tacky" choreo at the beginning of her career but her technical ability and consistency helped her win.