2017 Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy

bluelutz

On the Ice
Protocols are up:

http://www.hksu.org/event/aofst2017/aofst2017_JuniorLadies_SP_Scores.pdf

Mako got a carrot, they didn't like her so much PCS-wise... and she only got level 2 for her steps. She's still in the fight, but she has a lot of work to do, and needs others to make mistakes...

TES 1)Yelim 2)Rika 3)Eunsoo
PCS 2)Eunsoo 2)Rika 3)Yelim

Obviously they did not like Mako PCS-wise.
Her TES is understandable because it is almost same as Eunsoo's, who got also 3F+3T<.
But Yelim's SS is 6.25 and Mako's SS is 5.67, which is hard to believe for me.
I still think it was partially because her early starting order,
and also suspect the childish arrangement of her SP music affected judges somehow.
She and her coach have to fix the issues before JGP.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hey Karne!
Looks like kittychung97 just uploaded a bunch more videos to her YT channel, including all the Pairs SPs.
Not sure if you've seen it yet but this is the link to Paris and Matthew's video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjhCbhDPiw

EDIT: I've posted so many times here that I'm starting to feel like a stalker in this thread! :laugh: :slink:

Thankyou and thanks kittychung97!

(I'm super happy! They skated really well. If not for the popped Axel they probably could have got to that blasted 20 TES. Fingers crossed!)

YesWay

&#22235;&#24180;&#12418;&#12363;&#12369;&#12390;&#
Record Breaker
But Yelim's SS is 6.25 and Mako's SS is 5.67, which is hard to believe for me.
Before we start throwing conspiracy theories like "early group" out there to expain a discrepency in scoring... there must first be proof that there IS a discrepency. That requires a proper examination and evaluation of all (!) PCS criteria, for Mako's performance vs all the others. (Which in turn needs some quality video footage, and someone with the appropriate knowledge and experience, plus the time and patience to do it. Tall order...)

I haven't seen any video of her performance so far - but my initial thoughts were - isn't it more likely her SS score is reflecting whatever-it-was that dropped her steps to level 2? And maybe also whatever caused her UR? And apart from that, it's very early in the season - perhaps she was cautious, not comfortable with her choreo yet, and simply didn't perform at her best?

Also, the Korean girls had their JGP selection event very recently - an important competition for them - so they may have been better prepared, competition-ready, and with choreo more polished, much sooner. Whereas Japanese girls might have been aiming to "peak" later, during the JGP series? Rather than now...?

Whatever - I don't think there's any cause for alarm just yet. Let's just see what happens in the FS, and indeed the rest of the season...

bluelutz

On the Ice
Before we start throwing conspiracy theories like "early group" out there to expain a discrepency in scoring... there must first be proof that there IS a discrepency. That requires a proper examination and evaluation of all (!) PCS criteria, for Mako's performance vs all the others. (Which in turn needs some quality video footage, and someone with the appropriate knowledge and experience, plus the time and patience to do it. Tall order...)

I haven't seen any video of her performance so far - but my initial thoughts were - isn't it more likely her SS score is reflecting whatever-it-was that dropped her steps to level 2? And maybe also whatever caused her UR? And apart from that, it's very early in the season - perhaps she was cautious, not comfortable with her choreo yet, and simply didn't perform at her best?

Also, the Korean girls had their JGP selection event very recently - an important competition for them - so they may have been better prepared, competition-ready, and with choreo more polished, much sooner. Whereas Japanese girls might have been aiming to "peak" later, during the JGP series? Rather than now...?

Whatever - I don't think there's any cause for alarm just yet. Let's just see what happens in the FS, and indeed the rest of the season...

"Early starting" thing is not the conspiracy!
It has been in the scoring for a very long time
though it is not obvious now like during the days of 6.0 system,
skaters who got the early starting tend to get lower scores.

Yes, I agree that I need to see a better quality video to evaluate.
However, I am assuming with the last year's her scores,
her PCS was not particularly lower compared with other top skaters @JGP.
This time Yelim is 3rd in PCS, Yelim is not known for high PCS, I do not say low,
but Mako's PCS is significantly lower than hers, not only SS but also all others in PCS,
like transitions and performance.

As for Level2 step, I am sure they constructed her step sequence to make at least level3.
Then she probably missed some key elements of steps to achieve that.
And that is how skaters lose levels.
Step sequence is within TES, and missing elements in that does not affect the entire PCS usually.

The early competition like this is the testing tool for skaters
to see how ISU judges react to their new programs.
So skaters and their coaches have to fix whatever causes the lower score
before the big competitions start.

Yes, she might have skated awkwardly due to early competition in the season,
But judging with the available videos now,
at least she seems to have speed that she usually has.

You are right, we can tell more when we see how judges score her PCS in FS.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Men's SP Results:

1) Ryuju HINO (JPN) 70.90 pscp.tv video 1 2 3
2) Keiji TANAKA (JPN) 68.75 pscp.tv video 1 2 3
3) Abzal RAKIMGALIYEV (KAZ) 58.08 pscp.tv video 1 2
4) Geon Hyeong AN (KOR) 57.72 pscp.tv video 1 (very grainy~)
5) Chih I TSAO (TPE) 57.24 pscp.tv video 1
6) Leslie Man Cheuk IP (HKG) 53.53
7) James MIN (AUS) 53.50
8) Andrew DODDS (AUS) 52.30 pscp.tv video 1 2
9) Harrison Jon Yen WONG (HKG) 51.16
10) Micah Kai LYNETTE (THA) 45.08
11) Harry Hau Yin LEE (HKG) 44.67
12) Meng Ju LEE (TPE) 43.65
13) William SUTRISNA (INA) 39.04
14) Alberto WIDJAJA (INA) 37.14

Result Details
Judges Score

bluelutz

On the Ice
PCS of SP@Yokohana JGP 2016------Asian Open

Mako:
Skating Skills------------------6.71-----------5.67
Transitions---------------------6.31-----------5.33
Performance Composition-----6.93-----------5.67
Composition-------------------6.82-----------5.42
Interpretation of the Music----6.79-----------5.22
total---------------------------26.91-----------22.08

Yelim:
Skating Skills-------------------6.18------------6.25
Transitions----------------------5.86-----------5.67
Performance Composition------5.96-----------5.92
Composition--------------------6.11-----------5.83
Interpretation of the Music----6. 07-----------5.75
total-----------------------------24.15----------23.54

Actually Yelim's PCS went down this time as well by 0.61,
but Mako's went down by 4.83

I think both of them skated in the first group @Yokohama JGP

If this happened because Judges did not like her new SP,
they have to do something drastic like going back to last year's SP.
But this set of international Judges are mostly Asians,
so possibly North American & European ones might do differently.

kittychung97

Spectator
Thankyou and thanks kittychung97!

(I'm super happy! They skated really well. If not for the popped Axel they probably could have got to that blasted 20 TES. Fingers crossed!)

You are welcome.

I am sorry that I did not record yesterday's junior men FS, today's senior ladies SP, senior men SP and senior pairs FS. (I guess some fans recorded them and they definitely shot videos better than me.) I was amazed by all skaters so I put down my video recorder... Watching FS live is like WOW, especially in Hong Kong.

DorYiu

Letā€™s go crazy
On the Ice
Men's SP Results:

1) Ryuju HINO (JPN) 70.90 pscp.tv video 1 2 3
2) Keiji TANAKA (JPN) 68.75 pscp.tv video 1 2 3
3) Abzal RAKIMGALIYEV (KAZ) 58.08 pscp.tv video 1 2
4) Geon Hyeong AN (KOR) 57.72 pscp.tv video 1 (very grainy~)
5) Chih I TSAO (TPE) 57.24 pscp.tv video 1
6) Leslie Man Cheuk IP (HKG) 53.53
7) James MIN (AUS) 53.50
8) Andrew DODDS (AUS) 52.30 pscp.tv video 1 2
9) Harrison Jon Yen WONG (HKG) 51.16
10) Micah Kai LYNETTE (THA) 45.08
11) Harry Hau Yin LEE (HKG) 44.67
12) Meng Ju LEE (TPE) 43.65
13) William SUTRISNA (INA) 39.04
14) Alberto WIDJAJA (INA) 37.14

Result Details
Judges Score

Thank you for uploading the results and the link, tsuyoboogie~ (Never feel like a stalker :roll5: because if you are, we are all stalkers in this thread and other threads. LOL)

:love: Ryuji did well in short! Love the cut of the music, and the step sequence is awesome, love the step sequence arrangement, work really well with the music!

DorYiu

Letā€™s go crazy
On the Ice
You are welcome.

I am sorry that I did not record yesterday's junior men FS, today's senior ladies SP, senior men SP and senior pairs FS. (I guess some fans recorded them and they definitely shot videos better than me.) I was amazed by all skaters so I put down my video recorder... Watching FS live is like WOW, especially in Hong Kong.

Kitty, you don't have to say sorry, it's a great sacrifice to not enjoy the program live, when it is right in front of you, we have to thank you for what you have recorded so far~ Who's your favourite so far? :)

bluelutz

On the Ice
You are welcome.

You did the great job! Thanks a lot!!:clap:
To be honest, your videos are better than I expected (Sorry, I do not mean to offend you:p)
If you can record tomorrow's Junior Ladies FS,
that would be great, since Senior FS will be on live feed.
but if you like to just sit down & enjoy, that would be perfectly understandable.

Thanks again and we really appreciate you work :clapper:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
You are welcome.

No need to apologize! You did such a great job recording so many skaters! It must have been exhausting~ I hope you can relax now and fully enjoy the rest of the competition. Thank you so much again for all your hard work!

EDIT: BTW, I really appreciate you recording and uploading the Jr. Mens final FS run-through. Yuto Kishina is one of my favorite Juniors, so I was quite sad to see him have such a difficult time in this competition. Seeing him land his 3A and 3Lz easily in that run-through video reassured me a bit about his upcoming JGP assignment.

YesWay

Record Breaker
"Early starting" thing is not the conspiracy!
It has been in the scoring for a very long time
though it is not obvious now like during the days of 6.0 system,
skaters who got the early starting tend to get lower scores.
It becomes a conspiracy theory when people point at one occasion (or even a handful of occasions), where it may have happened (they almost invariably have no proof, when pressured)... and then try to say that's what's happening at EVERY competition.

When it ISN't happening at every competition...!

Kara

Final Flight
I definitely feel like lower scores for those earlier in the starting order are a thing for seniors, but not as much for juniors (though still present) because there aren't as many skaters who have that reputation thing going on yet. Except for junior world championships possibly after being through a whole season with them.šŸ˜‚

As for Mako, I haven't seen a good quality video of her SP yet, but I don't like it as much as her SP last season so far. I love bohemian rhapsody, but I'm not digging this orchestral version and the cut. Why did her team let her use bohemian rhapsody again when it was her long program music last year? The step sequence was really short too. I had concerns about the second 3T in her combos last season and it seems like that's still a bit of a hurdle for her right now despite her jumps having such a spring to them.

Rika was really good! Love the step sequence! The 2a entrance looked really difficult too. Her jumps overall don't appeal to me as much as the other 3 girls', but I'm sure she'll slay the FS.

Yelim! Still so impressive how she's kept on going clean even after a tough competition last week, but what I've been fearing feels like it's gonna come true.:drama: She got the lowest GOE for her step sequence and low PCS despite going clean. It's pretty clear that the end of the step sequence before she goes into crossovers for her first jump is a resting point that's super out of place. She will really need to work on that step sequence to get PCS.:(

Eunsoo, your spins!:drama: She gave me a heart attack on her combo jump. The rink's small size was the reason for her shaky jumps I feel. Surprised she got the highest PCS! Makes me even more excited for JGP!!

YesWay

Record Breaker
Fancam videos of some of the Japanese skaters on THIS youtube channel...
Yuna... Rika... Keiji...

...and KAORI! Wow *_* I love that program!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You are welcome.

Oh, don't apologise! I am so grateful we got any video at all. I'd rather you enjoyed the competition! :D