Yuzuru is going to put 5 quads | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru is going to put 5 quads

frida80

Record Breaker
How many Men have actually landed 5 quads in a free program? I ask because I think even without a quad Lutz, Max has 4 with a solo and combo of his 4T and 4S. The other thing about Max is that rarely gets dinged with a negative GOE on his jumps.

Just one. Boyang has attempted it at 4CC but decided to focus on four for worlds.

frida80

Record Breaker
Don't forget about Nathan Chen (if we're counting Nationals)

Sorry. I thought I implied that. Of course Nathan is the only one that has landed 5 quads in a FP. I was saying that just Nathan has accomplished it and Boyang has attempted it in competition. Yuzuru made five quad attempts but only after he popped an attempt and wanted to make up for it.

FCSSp4

Rinkside
What I'm getting from several interviews + articles is that Yuzuru is doing a 5 quad layout with one 3A. In case he pops, he can tack on a 3A instead of a 3lz. There are also reports of him attaching -2lo to his 3As, which is probably a precursor to a 3A3lo (Since the 3lo is now his 'spare' jump).

He also says he's practicing the 4lz and it's going well (he's landing it). I think the 3-quads in the 2nd half is more or less permanent while the first two quads could be changed depending on circumstances, same goes for his 3A2T/3Lz.

He's taken a lot from his experiences at 4CC where he was, frankly-- cornered by his own mistakes with the 4S and probably realized he could come up with a flexible layout that will allow him to recover as much points as possible to get the highest average (In that case, he won the FS despite the 2S3T). He attempted 5 quads to make up for his mistakes in WTT, and had he landed his final 3A, it's safe to say he could've gained a TES of 118-119, a few points away from his old 120 WR and that's with a popped 4S>>1S.

The only thing I'd trust from what he and his team are saying is that there will be 5 /planned/ quads. Yuzuru used to play with the 4T1lo3S in practices until WTT and now it's part of his 'official' layout. Anyway, all this speculating is entertaining but we'll see how his strategy comes to fruition early in the season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He also says he's practicing the 4lz and it's going well (he's landing it).

Good to hear! Are there any practice videos of him landing it? I can only find one video that's a good attempt but with a low landing/turnout.

Thanks for the update on the layout too. It's a smart approach for him to diversify his elements to avoid issues like 4CC. Although I'm wondering if he's switching up stuff too much... eg a 3A+3L ... I don't think I've ever seen him do 3L combos, let alone off a 3A. But his axel is very solid and he can obviously do a quad loop, so it wouldn't surprise me if he were able to add that in. He could always just double it if he's not feeling it, and it'd still be worth more than a 3A+2T.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Good to hear! Are there any practice videos of him landing it? I can only find one video that's a good attempt but with a low landing/turnout.

Thanks for the update on the layout too. It's a smart approach for him to diversify his elements to avoid issues like 4CC. Although I'm wondering if he's switching up stuff too much... eg a 3A+3L ... I don't think I've ever seen him do 3L combos, let alone off a 3A. But his axel is very solid and he can obviously do a quad loop, so it wouldn't surprise me if he were able to add that in. He could always just double it if he's not feeling it, and it'd still be worth more than a 3A+2T.

No, though technically the footage exists (from FaOI) but just has not been released.
There's an update on the 4Lz though, let me quote, “Hanyu was saying, ‘Since I’ve come to be able to jump the 4Lz, I’m considering in my own way where I will put it’”, as he is in Japan now, so there's been news yesterday. As we figured, 4Lz here we come. Now when or if just in the FS (though I am betting on that) is anyone's guess.

About the -3Lo, it should be well within his capabilities and as you say, even if he pushes it down in case he's feeling off, it's still better than the -2T (no, there's no footage of those combos, except for one triple, which was more for the fun of it). He's fiddling with a lot of things. The way things are now, you may get to see a 4T-3T Rippon in the SP :laugh: (yes, there is footage of that actually)

Tahuu

On the Ice
If that's true, then he should do 6 quads: 4Lo, 4S, 3F//4S-3T, 4T-Lo-3S, 4T, 3A-2T, 4Lz. A fall on the 4Lz is still more than a 3Lz. He'll need it if Shoma, Nathan and Jin all put up clean 6 quad programs.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
If that's true, then he should do 6 quads: 4Lo, 4S, 3F//4S-3T, 4T-Lo-3S, 4T, 3A-2T, 4Lz. A fall on the 4Lz is still more than a 3Lz. He'll need it if Shoma, Nathan and Jin all put up clean 6 quad programs.

Shoma and Jin are doing 5 quads, not 6 and as for Nathan, I am sure Hanyu will observe how the season goes. At the moment, it is 5 (and personally, I doubt that will change).

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
There's an update on the 4Lz though, let me quote, “Hanyu was saying, ‘Since I’ve come to be able to jump the 4Lz, I’m considering in my own way where I will put it’”, as he is in Japan now, so there's been news yesterday. As we figured, 4Lz here we come. Now when or if just in the FS (though I am betting on that) is anyone's guess.

That little tease! :laugh:

Smart move on his part to not completely reveal just yet what his game plan for the Olympics will be.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No, though technically the footage exists (from FaOI) but just has not been released.

About the -3Lo, it should be well within his capabilities and as you say, even if he pushes it down in case he's feeling off, it's still better than the -2T (no, there's no footage of those combos, except for one triple, which was more for the fun of it). He's fiddling with a lot of things. The way things are now, you may get to see a 4T-3T Rippon in the SP :laugh: (yes, there is footage of that actually)

I saw that 4T+3T(tano)... it's very well done. :) I don't think he should fiddle too much with jump features in the SP. He can get +3s on his 4-3 without the tano, and it's less risky. In the FS he has more leeway, plus with more jumping passes it's a nice touch for variety (like when he did 3A+2T-tano). I don't think he should fiddle too much though. Of course it's good to experiment, but the Olympics are in the middle of the season so he won't have too much time to adapt to varying layouts. IMO, he should commit to something at the beginning of the season that he feels is within his capability and then stick to that. Only if the other guys are killing it with 5 or 6 quads should he consider pushing more outside his comfort zone. Let's remember that his record of 330 is far above the others and that's only 3 quads... so he doesn't have to go crazy (no pun intended) with the technical content.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I saw that 4T+3T(tano)... it's very well done. :) I don't think he should fiddle too much with jump features in the SP. He can get +3s on his 4-3 without the tano, and it's less risky. In the FS he has more leeway, plus with more jumping passes it's a nice touch for variety (like when he did 3A+2T-tano). I don't think he should fiddle too much though. Of course it's good to experiment, but the Olympics are in the middle of the season so he won't have too much time to adapt to varying layouts. IMO, he should commit to something at the beginning of the season that he feels is within his capability and then stick to that. Only if the other guys are killing it with 5 or 6 quads should he consider pushing more outside his comfort zone. Let's remember that his record of 330 is far above the others and that's only 3 quads... so he doesn't have to go crazy (no pun intended) with the technical content.

Indeed. I don't know why fans keeping in some way pushing for that 4lz. He can experiment with that if he cointinues after olympics. If he goes perfectly clean with his current planned content with high propability he is going to smash that 330
Not to mention that audience and judges just loved Seimei

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Of course it's good to experiment, but the Olympics are in the middle of the season so he won't have too much time to adapt to varying layouts. IMO, he should commit to something at the beginning of the season that he feels is within his capability and then stick to that. Only if the other guys are killing it with 5 or 6 quads should he consider pushing more outside his comfort zone. Let's remember that his record of 330 is far above the others and that's only 3 quads... so he doesn't have to go crazy (no pun intended) with the technical content.

Honestly, I don't think he will experiment too much. I really think the only question will be when he'll introduce the 4Lz. I don't see him doing anything 'wild' with it, like putting it as a last jump as suggested above; as a new jump, per his pattern until now, it'll go into the first half of the program. That leaves us with a 4Lo, 4S, 2x4T and I think that's pretty doable for him. His stamina has improved considerably this past season as he's been working on it and bulking up so it should be fine. I could see him try the 5 quad program at ACI, without the Lz to check how that stamina is working out but if he truly wants the 4Lz, then NHK is pretty much the last moment when he can add it and still leave himself with enough time to work it in.
As you say, only if the other guys are very close, he may take a closer look, and of course, the probable inclusion of the 4Lz allows for that now.

I am not sure on the SP. If I look at the samples we have from FaOI the way it's positioned with the music and how he's been executing it, a creative exit the likes he's been fiddling with, doesn't quite fit. He's fiddled with both twizzles and a high kick but there, a Rippon might be better with that particular strange almost pause he executes. I don't think we'll see anything else changed there, in terms of the jumps.
(of course, the Rippon makes me laugh, considering he's been looking to Zhenya and her consistency so it's funny)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Indeed. I don't know why fans keeping in some way pushing for that 4lz. He can experiment with that if he cointinues after olympics. If he goes perfectly clean with his current planned content with high propability he is going to smash that 330
Not to mention that audience and judges just loved Seimei

Perhaps it's so that he can show that he's matching to the difficulty of the other guys who are capable of doing a 4F and 4Z?

I also think he can easily win with a clean program with 4 quads - he has the quality, and a PCS advantage over other quadsters. Although with losses to Chen and Uno last season (who are adding difficulty themselves), it's understandable too that he's going for broke and distancing himself from everyone as much as possible.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru has a reasonable chance to do the five quads in his fs. And reusing a program smart - he will know it inside and out. I have read all the comments here. My thoughts are as follows.

1. Yes, the men's field are bringing it in uppng the technical content in jumps

2. Yes, it will very exciting with all the huge and difficult jumps. At the same time we may see the quality and programs go down.

3. I think we may be saying good bye to any chance for Denis Ten or Patrick Chan and I think that is kind of sad because they are beautiful skaters. however, the scoring system is very helpful to tech skaters and there are very little to differentiate on the pcs which used to be how Chan could win but now he may be 60 pts behind.

4. I think we may see some amazing skaters but the odds are one of the big jumpers will implode and maybe even pop the freeskate that they don't make the long - kind of like Lu Chen I believe.

5. I give full credit to these quads but it makes it harder to get the timing for the triples.

6. I hope Chan gets the gold maybe not for the right reason. He is a lovely skater. He has been at it for a long time. Hanyu has his oly gold. And the Canadian curse deserves to be at an end. And now he is the underdog or the sentimental favorite. Will it happen? Will North Korea and the US become friends. Probably not but I agree with MRRICE

7. Hanyu will get stronger and more consistent as the season goes on

8. Hanyu imho is more decorated than Chan who does not have OGM and whose costumes are rather staid and simplitic while Hanyu is much more blingy and flashy or "decorated" :)

9. Wow about the consistency of Evgenia.