Yuzuru is going to put 5 quads | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru is going to put 5 quads

charlotte14

Medalist
As good as it was originally, I've always thought Seimei had the potential to be even better. As Brian Orser said, that program deserves to be at the Olympics. Can't wait to see what Yuzu and Shae have done with it.
I agree. I honestly think Hanyu hasn't reached his full potential with Seimei even when he broke WR with it. I feel there will be more. As for the quality, I do think he will find a way to bring out the best quality he can, even more than what he has done ever before.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mhm, I don't think I can agree with that. If you look at the "top 6 men" (= Yuzu, Javi, Patrick, Shoma, Nathan, Boyang) I don't see the same correlation you do. Out of the younger ones, Boyang is the leanest one, and he has the biggest jumps between them (his 4Lz is huge!).

Boyang's 4Lutz is huge, but look at his 3Lutz in the same program. It's quite small and not very flowing. The effort is clearly not being put on quality Triples, rather on just making sure to rotate as much jump content as possible.

And programs while may not be as artistic (to you and some others) that's what happens when the sport aspect evolves. Even adding triple jumps from doubles made less of a focus on the more artistic aspects of a program and greater emphasis on athleticism.

The rules need to evolve. I'm not going to write a whole thesis paper yet again in this post, but if figure skating isn't keeping the artistic qualities intact, then it's inherently hurting itself. Also, the artistry in skating didn't diminish when Triples became the standard. It just got better, in part because the jumps themselves were adding extra flavor and excitement. I don't see extra quads adding flavor or excitement anymore. There's almost no risk to even doing them, since you get so many points for bad Quads. Even if the rules on scoring the Quads change, that still doesn't fix the problem of inherently overrewarding one type of skill. There's always going to be breaking point somewhere that needs to be monitored in order for balanced to be maintained.

Also re: spins there have been excellent spinners who execute spins with better basic positions, tougher variations and in some cases greater speed than Lambiel - Jason Brown and Yuzuru Hanyu are ones that come to mind.

Jason has done great spins but for my money no guy has done a spin as magnificent as Lambiel's combination spin at the end of his 2007 program. And more to the point, nobody is even trying to. Scratch spin isn't worth a level so people just ignore it.

Especially on the ladies side the spins have improved in difficulty and creativity.

I can't agree with improved creativity at all. When everyone is just putting 4 difficult variations in spins (the definition of which is limited by the rules, so many great types of spins are now extinct), 2 of which must be on different feet for change-foot spins, it becomes quite predictable what skaters are doing to do. Just look at the Laybacks. It's all the same thing now, almost never any actual variation. No usage of the body positions and movements to create a unique texture that is specifically tailored to the music. Speaking of variation, so many skaters do the exact same spins in their SP's and LP's. That isn't creativity. Lucinda Ruh's spins were creative. What people are doing now is mechanical.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Jason has done great spins but for my money no guy has done a spin as magnificent as Lambiel's combination spin at the end of his 2007 program. And more to the point, nobody is even trying to. Scratch spin isn't worth a level so people just ignore it.

What about Deniss Vasiljevs? What do you think about his spins, particularly this?