2023 Skate America: General Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America: General Info

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was serious as a heart attack, actually. I got on the shuttle bus in Omaha at nats to go from the arena to the restaurant district and the first thing the driver said to me was, "You arent the average figure skating fan, are you?" Over 20 years of events, I can count on one hand the "alone" guys I have met at events. (I am excluding our valued members who have lost their partners) I am an oddity. Sure, I think there are women who live alone who take control of the TV remote cause what? They are the only one there! And watch football. And there are guys who probably watch soap operas. But TV is driven by marketing and I got a nickel that says the market share of women watching TV football alone is not enough to draw lots of ads aimed at them. Oh, the marketers know women are there....but most are with their husbands, lovers and boy friends....(fair disclaimer....I do know people, a man and woman for instance, not married to each other, who attend events together as they are friends and their spouses trust them to share a room together to save money...but they are rare too.)
I watch football. I watch figure skating. I am woman, hear me roar.