Attending the Olympics | Golden Skate

Attending the Olympics

macy

Record Breaker
I wasn't exactly sure if i should post this here or the edge since its not exactly skating related, but i am wondering if anyone here has travelled internationally to attend the olympics. my mom and i are thinking about trying to attend Milan 2026 (any excuse to see Italy and the olympics, yes please) and neither of us have travelled overseas either, so if anyone can share their experience that would be wonderful- what to expect, any tips/advice, things to plan for, etc. thanks :)

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I've never gone to the Olympics before, but I've traveled internationally many times.

First, what country are you in now?

heyang

Record Breaker
I've never gone to the Olympics, but I did go on a 2 week tour of Italy many many years ago. If not much has changed, tipping is not accepted. We went out to a bar one night in Venice and my friend tried to tip the bartender (even though our guide said not to), and he looked at her like she was crazy. I did find a tipping guide that is probably more current. https://europeupclose.com/article/tipping-in-europe/

Also, coffee is stronger over there. My roommate and I both had cappuccinos one evening - probably 7pm or so. I had never had problems with having caffeine before 9pm. That night, each of us was tossing and turning in our beds - could not fall asleep until much later.

Since the games will take place in several areas of Northern Italy, you'll probably want to study the event timings so you can get your accommodations and transportation arrangements lined up based upon dates and events for each location.

macy

Record Breaker
I've never gone to the Olympics, but I did go on a 2 week tour of Italy many many years ago. If not much has changed, tipping is not accepted. We went out to a bar one night in Venice and my friend tried to tip the bartender (even though our guide said not to), and he looked at her like she was crazy. I did find a tipping guide that is probably more current. https://europeupclose.com/article/tipping-in-europe/

Also, coffee is stronger over there. My roommate and I both had cappuccinos one evening - probably 7pm or so. I had never had problems with having caffeine before 9pm. That night, each of us was tossing and turning in our beds - could not fall asleep until much later.

Since the games will take place in several areas of Northern Italy, you'll probably want to study the event timings so you can get your accommodations and transportation arrangements lined up based upon dates and events for each location.
thanks for this!

if we go i do plan on studying some Italian, however did you find many people who were English speakers? Do you remember if any signage was in English?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i have gone to the Olympics but didn't have to travel for it. The issues encountered for me were the simple fact that tickets were available only by lottery. If you won the lottery, you won the opportunity to buy a super expensive ticket. I didn't win the figure skating lottery. The two events I attended were fun though. So, my issue with organizing travel for the games would be about this : how much money are you willing to spend on tickets + will tickets be available for events you would like to attend. If I recall correctly, and that was 12 years ago, tickets for figure skating were a few hundred dollars per event....

This being said, the town offered many other fun activities. The energy was amazing. It was a simply wonderful experience, despite not being able to see any of the skating at the venue.

macy

Record Breaker
i have gone to the Olympics but didn't have to travel for it. The issues encountered for me were the simple fact that tickets were available only by lottery. If you won the lottery, you won the opportunity to buy a super expensive ticket. I didn't win the figure skating lottery. The two events I attended were fun though. So, my issue with organizing travel for the games would be about this : how much money are you willing to spend on tickets + will tickets be available for events you would like to attend. If I recall correctly, and that was 12 years ago, tickets for figure skating were a few hundred dollars per event....

This being said, the town offered many other fun activities. The energy was amazing. It was a simply wonderful experience, despite not being able to see any of the skating at the venue.
yikes, this was the vancouver olympics?

Magill

Record Breaker
thanks for this!

if we go i do plan on studying some Italian, however did you find many people who were English speakers? Do you remember if any signage was in English?
I have never been to the Olympics but have visited Italy several times and never had any major problems with getting around on English only, especially in the big cities and in the north of the country, Northern Italy is full of foreigners, they have lots of international visitors. I do not remember specifically about signs but remember having no problems with communicating at all. Maybe you will not discuss Plato in English with everyone you meet but you'll get your pizza, pasta, espresso and directions for the rink no problem :)
Especially for the Olympics I am sure they will be very well prepared also in the language department. So do not let the language worries hold you back from your plans.
Good luck!