Did the sharpener mess up my blades? | Golden Skate

Did the sharpener mess up my blades?

Anya00

Rinkside
I just had my blades sharpened, and now the left one especially feels “rockier” than it used to be (I can rock back further than I used to). I took a closer look and it seems they rounded out the left heel a bit and the different color metal strip along the bottom looks thinner on the left skate than the right. There’s also a weird dark line along the front bottom half and across my bottom toepick that wasn’t there after previous sharpenings. Did the tech mess up my blades or is this just something I’m supposed to get used to after a sharpening? Fwiw this was my third ever sharpening and I’ve never felt like this afterward before.

Pic: https://tinyurl.com/2bftkhme

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just had my blades sharpened, and now the left one especially feels “rockier” than it used to be (I can rock back further than I used to). I took a closer look and it seems they rounded out the left heel a bit and the different color metal strip along the bottom looks thinner on the left skate than the right. There’s also a weird dark line along the front bottom half and across my bottom toepick that wasn’t there after previous sharpenings. Did the tech mess up my blades or is this just something I’m supposed to get used to after a sharpening? Fwiw this was my third ever sharpening and I’ve never felt like this afterward before.

I'll just say I'm a little concerned about this, but I'll defer to @tstop4me and see what they have to say about this.

I would also say, that it would be additionally helpful to have a side by side photo of the bottom of your blades.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
What the Rabbit said. <points upward>

I've just had two pairs of blades butchered by the sharpener I have trusted for years. It would appear to be the season. <sigh>

Anya00

Rinkside
I'll just say I'm a little concerned about this, but I'll defer to @tstop4me and see what they have to say about this.

I would also say, that it would be additionally helpful to have a side by side photo of the bottom of your blades.
Here’s a pic of the bottom of the blades. You can kind of see a weird angle at the heel of the left skate (right side in pic) where it looks like someone might have just slipped or something

Pic: https://tinyurl.com/fer7986j

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

* The width of the chrome relief (this is the dull strip along the edge from which the shiny chrome has been removed) is definitely less on the left blade than on the right blade (positioned in the photo). Without more detailed measurements, however, we can't tell (a) whether there was sloppy chrome removal at the factory or (b) your sharpener ground down the left blade a lot more.

* Can't tell what the cause of the discoloration is. Try rubbing the area with an alcohol wipe. If it comes off, nothing to worry about.

* The back-most tip of the heel has been rounded, but doesn't look too bad. But it also looks like the rocker of the tail from the rear stanchion to the heel has been rounded. You can trace the entire profile (drag pick to heel) of the left blade on one sheet of paper and the entire profile of the right blade on another sheet of paper. Superimpose the two traces and see how different they are. If you have a light table, use that. If you don't, tape one of the traces on a window (with daylight shining through), and then superimpose the other trace on top of the first trace. If this is not clear to you, DM me, and I'll send you photos or drawings of how to do this.

* It's always good practice to take before and after (sharpening) traces and photos of your blades. That way you can show the sharpener that they messed up. The question then is what they will do to make things right. Re-profiling is not something many techs can do; in any case, it would shorten the service life of the blade (by how much depends on how much metal needs to be ground off to restore the profile). But a decent tech should either replace the blades or offer you a substantial discount on a new pair. A not so decent tech will simply shrug. No harm in asking and see how they respond.

My regular tech once flattened the spin rockers on a nearly new pair of blades (second sharpening). He normally does a great job, but his skate holder was malfunctioning. The blades cost almost US$600 at the time. He first offered to re-profile them. I told him that wouldn't be satisfactory. He then ordered a new pair at no charge to me. That's an existence proof of at least one decent tech who did the right thing when he messed up. I hope your tech falls into that category.

* By the way, what blades do you have?

Last edited:

silverlily1

On the Ice
How long have you been on these blades? Are you aware that they only have temporary mounting screws as of that last photo?

Your blades look really inwardly set, but I'm used to my outwardly set blades, so maybe that's pretty normal.

I know this has nothing to do with your blade sharpening, I just want to make sure you're aware you need those permanent screws before too long.

Anya00

Rinkside
* The width of the chrome relief (this is the dull strip along the edge from which the shiny chrome has been removed) is definitely less on the left blade than on the right blade (positioned in the photo). Without more detailed measurements, however, we can't tell (a) whether there was sloppy chrome removal at the factory or (b) your sharpener ground down the left blade a lot more.

* Can't tell what the cause of the discoloration is. Try rubbing the area with an alcohol wipe. If it comes off, nothing to worry about.

* The back-most tip of the heel has been rounded, but doesn't look too bad. But it also looks like the rocker of the tail from the rear stanchion to the heel has been rounded. You can trace the entire profile (drag pick to heel) of the left blade on one sheet of paper and the entire profile of the right blade on another sheet of paper. Superimpose the two traces and see how different they are. If you have a light table, use that. If you don't, tape one of the traces on a window (with daylight shining through), and then superimpose the other trace on top of the first trace. If this is not clear to you, DM me, and I'll send you photos or drawings of how to do this.

* It's always good practice to take before and after (sharpening) traces and photos of your blades. That way you can show the sharpener that they messed up. The question then is what they will do to make things right. Re-profiling is not something many techs can do; in any case, it would shorten the service life of the blade (by how much depends on how much metal needs to be ground off to restore the profile). But a decent tech should either replace the blades or offer you a substantial discount on a new pair. A not so decent tech will simply shrug. No harm in asking and see how they respond.

My regular tech once flattened the spin rockers on a nearly new pair of blades (second sharpening). He normally does a great job, but his skate holder was malfunctioning. The blades cost almost US$600 at the time. He first offered to re-profile them. I told him that wouldn't be satisfactory. He then ordered a new pair at no charge to me. That's an existence proof of at least one decent tech who did the right thing when he messed up. I hope your tech falls into that category.

* By the way, what blades do you have?
The chrome relief was definitely ground down a lot more on the left because they were pretty identical before this sharpening (both still had a lot left as this was the 3rd sharpening).

The blades are ultima mirage - I’m currently doing singles (no axel) so I was thinking to get some better blades after breaking down these boots to swap the whole setup together but wasn’t planning for anytime soon (also because I haven’t decided on a blade yet lol - there doesn’t seem to be much choice for intermediate 8ft rocker tho).

I’ll definitely do the tracing and pics in the future before sharpenings - lesson learned!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It doesn't hurt to raise this issue to the sharpener. The worst they can do is shrug it off. But they might pleasantly surprise you, especially since the Mirage is a (relatively) inexpensive blade.

@silverlily1 raised a good point. I hadn't seen your second photo when I first responded. You shouldn't be jumping with just a temp mount.

silverlily1

On the Ice
The chrome relief was definitely ground down a lot more on the left because they were pretty identical before this sharpening (both still had a lot left as this was the 3rd sharpening).

The blades are ultima mirage - I’m currently doing singles (no axel) so I was thinking to get some better blades after breaking down these boots to swap the whole setup together but wasn’t planning for anytime soon (also because I haven’t decided on a blade yet lol - there doesn’t seem to be much choice for intermediate 8ft rocker tho).

I’ll definitely do the tracing and pics in the future before sharpenings - lesson learned!
You'd be surprised how stable an intermediate blade with a 7 ft rocker can feel after cheap blades. Don't concern yourself with the main rocker radius change. Just get a good blade.

And please get those permanent screws in before jumping any more.