Do I need to change the coach for my daughter? | Golden Skate

Do I need to change the coach for my daughter?

zhoul307

Spectator
Please I need help!

My daughter is 7years old and has been skating with almost 2 years with the current coach. And we have built very solid relationships- he would accommodate all the time requests from us.But since Spring this year I started to think if he is the right fit- 1. He puts my daughter into competition, but for most of the time the result is not what we expected- he kept saying my daughter is stronger but we just didn’t see the results. 2. Since spring this year, they started to work on sit spin, camel spin and jumps. It took a lot of time to finally get to sit spin but they still stuck at jumps. I just don’t feel my daughter knows how to jump- they kept working on Axel but my daughter could not even do loop and lutz. Her jumps no heights. 3. He again puts my daughter at a higher level of competition in Dec, which I don’t think she is ready. I discussed this with the coach but he would like her to try…

We personally like him but I just feel my daughter’s progress is so slow. I’m thinking of another coach at the rink- but they don’t like each other. The potential coach is a founder of a skating school and have students go to nationals. Shall I privately talk to her first before letting our existing coach know about it? Or should we watch a little bit longer?

Thank you so much for any suggestions!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello and welcome.

My first question is: How does your daughter feel about changing coaches and everything that is going on with the current coach?
I would be taking her lead in if it is time to change coaches.

Personal opinion is that the current coach sounds like he is not being patient enough with your daughters natural progress and if he cannot (after a discussion with him), find that patience then I would be talking to the founder of the skating school about getting your daughter a new coach that is more compatible with her personality and skating progress. The current coach putting your skater in competitions too above her natural level right now is not good or healthy for her progress physically and mentally.

Good luck and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@moderators Could you please move this thread to the Lutz Corner.

zhoul307

Spectator
Hello and welcome.

My first question is: How does your daughter feel about changing coaches and everything that is going on with the current coach?
I would be taking her lead in if it is time to change coaches.

Personal opinion is that the current coach sounds like he is not being patient enough with your daughters natural progress and if he cannot (after a discussion with him), find that patience then I would be talking to the founder of the skating school about getting your daughter a new coach that is more compatible with her personality and skating progress. The current coach putting your skater in competitions too above her natural level right now is not good or healthy for her progress physically and mentally.

Good luck and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Thank you so much for your suggestions! My daughter likes skating and likes her current coach- but I know she got some issues with her techniques. I talked with her about the new potential coach, she is open to the idea but wish to have two coaches at the same time.

Yes, you are right. My skater was frustrated by last failure in competition and I really don’t like that…