Early predictions on participants | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Early predictions on participants

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
It would be nice to see Denis Ten make a successful reappearance at Worlds, but I think he needs time to rest. He wasn't ready for the Olympics.

vavavoom

Rinkside
It would be nice to see Denis Ten make a successful reappearance at Worlds, but I think he needs time to rest. He wasn't ready for the Olympics.

Denis Ten retired right away after the Olympics. Abzal Rakimgaliev has the TES to represent KZ though.

Nirti

Medalist
Denis Ten retired right away after the Olympics. Abzal Rakimgaliev has the TES to represent KZ though.

Denis Ten later announced that he didn't decide anything, the retirement announcement was a wrong translation from a journalist. He's now on the official list for Worlds, with Rakimgaliev as alternate.

ericka141

On the Ice
Does anybody know why Ruest and Wolfe are in for Canada instead of Lubov and Dylan for pairs? I thought I/M were the first alternates.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I also wonder what happened that I/M were not selected. Indeed they were the first alternate. Now they are only listed as substitutions.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Both Hanyu and Ten (Japan and Kaz) are on the start list! Everybody says that at least Yuzuru is not participating. But why ISU posted this list?

Tutto

Record Breaker
As a fan of Kolyada, surely you agree that Kolyada needs help choosing more suitable music and making smarter technical decisions. His team pushed him too hard too soon -- he was adding too many quads all at once and it didn't serve him well. With the PCS marks he was getting, if he had just done 1 quad in the SP and 1 in the LP I suspect he would have skated better and received better marks. However, his mental game appears to be suffering as well, so perhaps lowering the difficulty wouldn't help much at this point. I don't know for sure.

It is a shame he had such a bad season, and unfortunately it wasn't limited to just "one bad outing." Nearly all his performances this season have been riddled with large errors, falls, pops, giving up on the performance... My point was that he needs to make some major changes if he wants to get the most out of his talent. He clearly has a lot of potential and can perform really well when given the right vehicle. Sadly, this season he was given horrible programs that were too difficult and did not suit his personality or his performance style. I'll still watch him if he performs that doomed Elvis LP at Worlds, and I'll still hope for him to skate cleanly, but I am not optimistic.

On technical I agree with you in part - his LP layout was too ambitious but they've taken the 4s out now so they trying to make it work. 1+1 layout he skated in the 2015-16 season successfully, are you suggesting he should not try and progress at all? He just needs time to stabilise 4lz it is quite consistent in practice now. It is never going to be very consistent though, given the height he gets on it (and full 4 rotations in the air unlike some).
As regards his programs it is very subjective, I like Elvis (though if it was down to me all skaters would only use classical music) and I think the program is well constructed and suits him well. His LP at the team event was praised by BESP guys and Philippe Candeloro on French TV, so it is not my bias opinion only.
At least he had taken a trouble to have 2 new and contrasting programs this season unlike so many skaters.
I get it that his skating is not to everyone's liking and okay with it, I am indifferent to many skaters but I respect them all for their hard work and I find your choice of words is quite offensive ''Will Kolyada have the guts to show his face after such embarrassing Olympic performances?'' It is their career with highs and lows, and picking themselves up after the failure is part of it. Do you dare to show your face at work after you made a mistake? Or maybe you never make one...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Both Hanyu and Ten (Japan and Kaz) are on the start list! Everybody says that at least Yuzuru is not participating. But why ISU posted this list?

The ISU publishes the entries that the federations give them. It's not uncommon for feds to enter a skater initially then replace them later if they decide not to go due to injury, etc. So this doesn't really tell us if Hanyu is going or not.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
The ISU publishes the entries that the federations give them. It's not uncommon for feds to enter a skater initially then replace them later if they decide not to go due to injury, etc. So this doesn't really tell us if Hanyu is going or not.

Thank you so much for the answer. Then I keep hoping I/M to skate for this WC

bostonskatefan

Spectator
The U.S. Stars on Ice tour starts less than 2 weeks after Worlds is over. It looks like Adam is the only SOI cast member who's not going to Worlds. It's too bad they all can't catch a little rest in between. I'm exhausted on their behalf!

(But I know SOI has to capitalize on the post-Olympics interest. Casual fans don't want to go to a skating show once the weather warms up!)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thank you so much for the answer. Then I keep hoping I/M to skate for this WC

It's probably unlikely for them though. Normally the fed enters their strongest skaters and then replaces them if necessary. But we'll see.

vavavoom

Rinkside
Denis Ten later announced that he didn't decide anything, the retirement announcement was a wrong translation from a journalist. He's now on the official list for Worlds, with Rakimgaliev as alternate.

Great to hear that.