If you are or know an Asain... | Golden Skate

If you are or know an Asain...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think this is very important new research. If you cant read it, I will try and make text out of it. This is the first I have heard of this particular Asian gene mutation and it looks to be far worse than it was once thought. ALDH2*2. Basically, it turns alchohol into a carcenigen.
Full article here.
Growing up in Taiwan, Joseph Wu watched his parents and grandparents enjoy alcohol on occasion, their faces turning a glaring shade of red after only one or two drinks. When trying alcohol for himself years later, he experienced the phenomenon firsthand.

Live well every day with tips and guidance on food, fitness and mental health, delivered to your inbox every Thursday.

“My heart rate goes up to 130 beats per minute, I get facial flushing, and three to four hours later, I’ll probably get a headache,” said Wu, director of the Stanford Cardiovascular Institute and president of the American Heart Association, who studies the genetic mutation that causes what is known as alcohol flush reaction.

About 560 million people, or 8 percent of the global population, carry
this mutation, with the vast majority being of East Asian descent — hence the nickname for the reaction, “Asian glow” or “Asian flush.”

An estimated 45 percent of East Asians get the “glow” when drinking. For some, the unpleasantness is enough to abstain from alcohol. Many others push through the discomfort, sometimes with the help of an antihistamine to lessen the effects.
People with the ALDH2*2 variant lack a functional enzyme that helps the body break down alcohol. Alcohol is normally metabolized by the body in two steps. One enzyme converts alcohol into acetaldehyde, a compound significantly more toxic to humans than the alcohol itself. A second enzyme then quickly converts acetaldehyde into acetate, a compound that can be safely metabolized by the body.
People with alcohol flush reaction produce a version of the second enzyme, mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2), that has very low activity. This ALDH2 deficiency leads to alcohol not being metabolized normally, and acetaldehyde — essentially, a poison — builds up in the blood.

“Acetaldehyde is classified as a Group 1 carcinogen by the World Health Organization, meaning it has been proven to cause cancer in humans,” said Che-Hong Chen, country director of the Stanford Center for Asian Health Research and Education. “Even with just two cans of beer, the amount of acetaldehyde in their blood is already reaching carcinogenic levels.”
In his laboratory, Chen uses a simple ethanol patch test to determine whether subjects have an ALDH2 deficiency. He applies ethanol to a Band-Aid and places it on their skin for 20 minutes. Acetaldehyde causes blood vessels to dilate — essentially, what causes the flushing to occur — and those with the mutation will have a red spot in that area. The ethanol patch test is approximately 70 to 90 percent accurate. To know for sure, individuals may take a DNA test from 23andMe or Ancestry.
The ALDH2*2 variant was thought to originate from a single founder in Southeast China who lived 2,000 to 3,000 years ago. From there, the mutation spread to other East Asian countries. Today, the proportion of carriers varies across countries such as South Korea (30 percent), China (35 percent), Japan (40 percent) and Taiwan (49 percent).
Alcohol intake continues to increase despite the widespread nature of alcohol flush reaction in these populations. The prevalence of drinkers in East Asia has risen from 48.4 percent in 1990 to 66.9 percent in 2017. South Korea notably has a binge-drinking problem, while China has seen a surge in alcohol consumption over the past three decades.
East Asia has the largest absolute burden — measured in the number of years lost because of the disease — of alcohol-attributable cancer in the world. It is also the region with the greatest proportion of cancer cases that can be traced back to alcohol, at 5.7 percent. In comparison, North America has a proportion of 3 percent.
The biggest problem is a lack of awareness about the dangers of drinking with an ALDH2 deficiency, experts said.
“I’m a geneticist, and even I didn’t know about this mutation,” said Chen, who is an ALDH2*2 carrier. “When I visited my home country of Taiwan, I realized that so many people were unaware like me.”
Misconceptions include thinking that alcohol flush reaction is a mere inconvenience or even signifies a strong liver. Many people still believe that a moderate amount of alcohol is good for your health, which recent research shows is false.
Chen founded a nonprofit organization in 2017 to inform the Taiwanese public about the health implications of alcohol flush reaction. The Taiwan Alcohol Intolerance Education Society collaborates with the government to promote education around ALDH2 deficiency and alcohol consumption. Together, they launched the first National Taiwan No Alcohol Day on May 9, 2019. In Mandarin, “5-9” is a homophone for “no alcohol.”

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this is very important new research. If you cant read it, I will try and make text out of it. This is the first I have heard of this particular Asian gene mutation and it looks to be far worse than it was once thought. ALDH2*2. Basically, it turns alchohol into a carcenigen.
Full article here.
Growing up in Taiwan, Joseph Wu watched his parents and grandparents enjoy alcohol on occasion, their faces turning a glaring shade of red after only one or two drinks. When trying alcohol for himself years later, he experienced the phenomenon firsthand.

Live well every day with tips and guidance on food, fitness and mental health, delivered to your inbox every Thursday.

“My heart rate goes up to 130 beats per minute, I get facial flushing, and three to four hours later, I’ll probably get a headache,” said Wu, director of the Stanford Cardiovascular Institute and president of the American Heart Association, who studies the genetic mutation that causes what is known as alcohol flush reaction.

About 560 million people, or 8 percent of the global population, carry
this mutation, with the vast majority being of East Asian descent — hence the nickname for the reaction, “Asian glow” or “Asian flush.”

An estimated 45 percent of East Asians get the “glow” when drinking. For some, the unpleasantness is enough to abstain from alcohol. Many others push through the discomfort, sometimes with the help of an antihistamine to lessen the effects.
People with the ALDH2*2 variant lack a functional enzyme that helps the body break down alcohol. Alcohol is normally metabolized by the body in two steps. One enzyme converts alcohol into acetaldehyde, a compound significantly more toxic to humans than the alcohol itself. A second enzyme then quickly converts acetaldehyde into acetate, a compound that can be safely metabolized by the body.
People with alcohol flush reaction produce a version of the second enzyme, mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2), that has very low activity. This ALDH2 deficiency leads to alcohol not being metabolized normally, and acetaldehyde — essentially, a poison — builds up in the blood.

“Acetaldehyde is classified as a Group 1 carcinogen by the World Health Organization, meaning it has been proven to cause cancer in humans,” said Che-Hong Chen, country director of the Stanford Center for Asian Health Research and Education. “Even with just two cans of beer, the amount of acetaldehyde in their blood is already reaching carcinogenic levels.”
In his laboratory, Chen uses a simple ethanol patch test to determine whether subjects have an ALDH2 deficiency. He applies ethanol to a Band-Aid and places it on their skin for 20 minutes. Acetaldehyde causes blood vessels to dilate — essentially, what causes the flushing to occur — and those with the mutation will have a red spot in that area. The ethanol patch test is approximately 70 to 90 percent accurate. To know for sure, individuals may take a DNA test from 23andMe or Ancestry.
The ALDH2*2 variant was thought to originate from a single founder in Southeast China who lived 2,000 to 3,000 years ago. From there, the mutation spread to other East Asian countries. Today, the proportion of carriers varies across countries such as South Korea (30 percent), China (35 percent), Japan (40 percent) and Taiwan (49 percent).
Alcohol intake continues to increase despite the widespread nature of alcohol flush reaction in these populations. The prevalence of drinkers in East Asia has risen from 48.4 percent in 1990 to 66.9 percent in 2017. South Korea notably has a binge-drinking problem, while China has seen a surge in alcohol consumption over the past three decades.
East Asia has the largest absolute burden — measured in the number of years lost because of the disease — of alcohol-attributable cancer in the world. It is also the region with the greatest proportion of cancer cases that can be traced back to alcohol, at 5.7 percent. In comparison, North America has a proportion of 3 percent.
The biggest problem is a lack of awareness about the dangers of drinking with an ALDH2 deficiency, experts said.
“I’m a geneticist, and even I didn’t know about this mutation,” said Chen, who is an ALDH2*2 carrier. “When I visited my home country of Taiwan, I realized that so many people were unaware like me.”
Misconceptions include thinking that alcohol flush reaction is a mere inconvenience or even signifies a strong liver. Many people still believe that a moderate amount of alcohol is good for your health, which recent research shows is false.
Chen founded a nonprofit organization in 2017 to inform the Taiwanese public about the health implications of alcohol flush reaction. The Taiwan Alcohol Intolerance Education Society collaborates with the government to promote education around ALDH2 deficiency and alcohol consumption. Together, they launched the first National Taiwan No Alcohol Day on May 9, 2019. In Mandarin, “5-9” is a homophone for “no alcohol.”
Great information. Thanks for sharing.
One small thing - Asian is misspelled in the name of the thread.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
“I’m a geneticist, and even I didn’t know about this mutation,” said Chen, who is an ALDH2*2 carrier.
It is not new research. I'm honestly doubtful any genetics (or biochem/metabolism) researcher let alone a director at Stanford would be ignorant of this rather basic fact - maybe it was hyperbole for the media :palmf:

As for the general public, it's a bit like tobacco smoking - the information on carcinogenicity is readily out there, but some people are wilfully ignorant/old habits die hard.

To clarify, the effect of alcohol dehydrogenase deficiency on cancer risk in practical terms depends more on whether the social compulsion to drink outweighs personal reluctance due to the unpleasant symptoms experienced during alcohol consumption. For people with the mutation who aren't forced by their workplace to attend drinking parties, it could actually be net protective since it deters them from alcohol altogether.

Disulfiram/Antabuse is a medication used for treating alcoholism that has the same biochemical effect as ALHD2*2 deficiency.
Coprine (a compound found in the common ink cap mushroom) produces a similar effect.