Olivia Smart and Tim Dieck form a partnership | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olivia Smart and Tim Dieck form a partnership

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Saw them skate together at a local outdoor rink today, and have to say they looked really cute together. And they did their best, considering it was pouring rain, and the rink was basically puddles 🌧️ I wish them all the best, no matter which country they choose.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The linked German article presumes they are skating for Germany, but apparently, they haven't decided yet. Or if they have, their decision won't be announced until "the beginning of the year."

English translation is available.

The article mentions a younger ice dance team, Sofia Val and Alexander Gnedin, apparently coached by Sara H & Kirill K. She's Spanish, and he's Russian, apparently skating for Spain.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My guess is that since Tim is German, and neither skater is Spanish, that it was assumed that they would skate for Germany. The article from the first link is also in German to my knowledge.

If it is easier to get citizenship for Spain and hard to obtain for Germany, than Spain would make more sense.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My guess is that since Tim is German, and neither skater is Spanish, that it was assumed that they would skate for Germany. The article from the first link is also in German to my knowledge.

If it is easier to get citizenship for Spain and hard to obtain for Germany, than Spain would make more sense.

For that reason alone, I would prefer to see them skating for Germany. That said, in an ideal world, I would want to see them representing Team GB. But, that doesn't seem to be on the table.

I would like to see somebody challenging Lilah and Lewis to be top dogs in the British Ice Dance team. The British are reknown for supporting underdogs and, as you all know, I take that to a different level! I liked Lilah and Lewis when they were underdogs. But now that they are not, I have to admit that I have gone off them.

Even if Olivia and Tim don't come to us, I would say it will not be long until Phebe and James turn Senior. And hopefully they will start providing real competition to Lilah and Lewis. (I really like Phebe and James!)

https://www.ksta.de/koeln/koelner-i...nz-elite-zeigt-kueren-auf-dem-heumarkt-383975

English translation is available.

The article mentions a younger ice dance team, Sofia Val and Alexander Gnedin, apparently coached by Sara H & Kirill K. She's Spanish, and he's Russian, apparently skating for Spain.

Yep, that was announced by Sara back in June (see this post from @Lili1122 in last season's Partner Changes thread). But, in the interview, she said that Sofía and Sasha would be competing in Juniors. Since we haven't heard anything about them since then, I was starting to think it had fallen through. Hence why I haven't started a Fan Fest thread for them yet.

HOWEVER, the article you linked to says that Sofía is skating with a different Russian, Asaf KAZIMOV (ISU Bio with Viktoriia LOPUSOVA). Asaf has been representing Germany for the past 5 seasons, since the 2017-18 Season. During this time, he had 2 seasons in Juniors partnering Germany's Lara LUFT; and then 3 seasons (2 in Juniors, 1 in Seniors) partnering his fellow Russian Viktoriia LOPUSOVA.

Kazimov is 22 now, so he is too old for Juniors. They will have to go into Seniors.

So the German and Spanish Feds may have done a deal. Spain gives Olivia Smart (GBR) to Germany to partner their boy Tim Dieck; and in return Germany gives Asaf Kazimov (RUS) to Spain to partner their girl Sofía Val.

• Olivia Smart (GBR) / Tim Dieck (DEU) to represent Germany.
  • Sofía Val (ESP) / Asaf Kazimov (RUS) to represent Spain.

Sounds like a sensible arrangement to me!

Either way, it looks like I was right to hold back in creating a Fan Fest for Val / Gnedin!

CaroLiza_fan

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
> I liked Lilah and Lewis when they were underdogs. But now that they are not, I have to admit that I have gone off them.

Wow, I thought I was the only one! I would like Lilah and Lewis to explore different styles and not stick to what they've been doing for years. Their EX suggests that they can do a lot more than Madonna and Lady Gaga, but they seem stuck in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode, whereas other top teams are taking risks this season. I hope Olivia and Tim can provide some extra competition in Europe.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
> I liked Lilah and Lewis when they were underdogs. But now that they are not, I have to admit that I have gone off them.

Wow, I thought I was the only one! I would like Lilah and Lewis to explore different styles and not stick to what they've been doing for years. Their EX suggests that they can do a lot more than Madonna and Lady Gaga, but they seem stuck in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode, whereas other top teams are taking risks this season. I hope Olivia and Tim can provide some extra competition in Europe.
Definitely not the only one. I enjoyed their disco FD from 2018-19, but I was meh on Vogue and outright disliked their last two FDs. I completely understand and respect the strategy behind their choices but when I didn't like Vogue that much to begin with, a retread feels extra stale (to me personally; obviously the judges feel otherwise). Then again, I've also found Gilles/Poirier to be overrated the last few seasons... (mega unpopular opinion: I liked their Perry Mason FD more than Vincent)

Reactions: snd