Savchenko/Massot confident... | Golden Skate

Savchenko/Massot confident...

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Savchenko and Massot confident going into 2016-17

Bruno Massot lifts his partner Aliona Savchenko gently up as the last note of “Lighthouse” by Patrick Watson fades away. The pairs free skating at Nebelhorn Trophy is done, and the World bronze medalists have their first competition of the season under their belts, taking the gold medal at their home event in Oberstdorf, Germany, where they have been training since end of 2014.

“We are still satisfied, especially considering what happened before,” said Savchenko, referring to a bad fall on a throw triple Axel in practice three days before the event, as well as a toothache. “It is important for us to have done this competition, in order to get into it, to know how we are feeling in our programs and what we maybe need to change.”

More

QuadThrow

Medalist
It seems that we have to wait till we will see the Quad twist in competition.

I believe Aljona wants to do it at the Grand Prix but their coach thinks that they need more time.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It seems that we have to wait till we will see the Quad twist in competition.

I believe Aljona wants to do it at the Grand Prix but their coach thinks that they need more time.

from seeing their nebelhorn : first priority SBS jumps... then throws... their twist is superior... they can rely on this for now, when the rest is better, they can upgrade it...

TGee

Record Breaker
from seeing their nebelhorn : first priority SBS jumps... then throws... their twist is superior... they can rely on this for now, when the rest is better, they can upgrade it...

Thinking about what D/R have acknowledged in terms of a new element impacting their entire program, I can understand your logic.

But this is a different team, if they are willingly to take a risk to push on their best element in order to increase BV it might make sense to get over all the rough ground quickly.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thinking about what D/R have acknowledged in terms of a new element impacting their entire program, I can understand your logic.

But this is a different team, if they are willingly to take a risk to push on their best element in order to increase BV it might make sense to get over all the rough ground quickly.

Yup. I agree. Very different team.

What makes a good pair team is to be competent in all elements. That's what makes D/R so strong. Yes, they have the hardest SBS jumps but they also do spins in unison, get level 4 on their death spirals and lifts, have improved their triple twist, and now, they are chasing harder throws but when they miss on ONE throw, and the rest is there (not in Finlandia but it was in Quebec) the quality of the elements is still high and allows them to manage a good score.

For S/M : SBS jumps are still an issue which is normal as they are relatively new and are still working on timing, she two-foots most of her throws, they even removed the huge 3F throw they had before (sure they replaced it with 3Ath but they kept the 3Sth...and are not able to max out their BV that way)... their spins also need work.

Their twist : WOW!!!

But think of if this way : S/K (americans) have a quad twist but not much else is on par with the top 2-3 teams, so they end up in the middle of the pack.... It makes them look like a specialty team. If S/M get a quad twist but keep falling on SBS or two footing throws, they won't benefit so much from the 3-4 points in added BV... in my opinion, it wouldn't raise their ranking.

TGee

Record Breaker
Yup. I agree. Very different team.

What makes a good pair team is to be competent in all elements. That's what makes D/R so strong. Yes, they have the hardest SBS jumps but they also do spins in unison, get level 4 on their death spirals and lifts, have improved their triple twist, and now, they are chasing harder throws but when they miss on ONE throw, and the rest is there (not in Finlandia but it was in Quebec) the quality of the elements is still high and allows them to manage a good score.

For S/M : SBS jumps are still an issue which is normal as they are relatively new and are still working on timing, she two-foots most of her throws, they even removed the huge 3F throw they had before (sure they replaced it with 3Ath but they kept the 3Sth...and are not able to max out their BV that way)... their spins also need work.

Their twist : WOW!!!

But think of if this way : S/K (americans) have a quad twist but not much else is on par with the top 2-3 teams, so they end up in the middle of the pack.... It makes them look like a specialty team. If S/M get a quad twist but keep falling on SBS or two footing throws, they won't benefit so much from the 3-4 points in added BV... in my opinion, it wouldn't raise their ranking.

Interesting thought....specialty teams vs. well rounded excellence....

IMO, and I think many would agree, Aliona had that well rounded strength with Robin.

So, considering the rapid improvement of her new partnership, in relation to the significant time needed to establish the "pairs magic" connection, it's not unreasonable to think that Aliona will be seeking well rounded excellence again.

The technical levels have increased for pairs since the last Olympics, but I see S/M using this season to lay down the markers that the will be among the podium favourites for 2018.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Interesting thought....specialty teams vs. well rounded excellence....

IMO, and I think many would agree, Aliona had that well rounded strength with Robin.

So, considering the rapid improvement of her new partnership, in relation to the significant time needed to establish the "pairs magic" connection, it's not unreasonable to think that Aliona will be seeking well rounded excellence again.

The technical levels have increased for pairs since the last Olympics, but I see S/M using this season to lay down the markers that the will be among the podium favourites for 2018.

Aliona and Robin were definitely well rounded and excellent in all areas.

Aliona's goal is simple : Olympic Gold. And that will mean: high BV and excellent performance.

That's why I was suggesting they strengthen what they already have first, before trying new elements. If they go too far in one direction, and not address the rest, they won't win gold. They probably will be on the podium but for gold, you need every element mastered when considering the excellence of the current teams.

Try to beat D/R if they go clean? Not going to happen with a quad twist if they pop a jump or have a rough landing on a throw... Sui/Han can testify about this ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
in other simpler words

It's not only where you can score big points but also where you won't lose any ;)

That's why Meagan knows the COP so well :) hehe

nocturnalis

Medalist
Their elements are too grouped together. I believe that the huge twist and jumps are affecting Aljona going into the SBS jumps. The need to spread them out throught the program.

moriel

Record Breaker
I agree with folks
Savchenko/Massot seem to have some overall consistency issues, and just having a quad wont help them against D/R. Because all it takes is a stepout or a twofooted landing somewhere and you lost.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'd like to know why their triple twist doesn't get level fours. It's so big and beautiful that I wonder what is it that's holding them back a level? And will that issue also keep them from getting level 4 for the quad twist?

QuadThrow

Medalist
I'd like to know why their triple twist doesn't get level fours. It's so big and beautiful that I wonder what is it that's holding them back a level? And will that issue also keep them from getting level 4 for the quad twist?

There are five features for the twist.

1. lady´s split position more than 45 degree.
2. man´s arms unter his shoulder, when the lady is in the air
3. man´s and woman´s body do not touch
4. difficult set up/entrance
5. woman´s arm over her body (S/H is the only pair doing this)

You need four features for level 4.

S/M definitly get the first two features and miss the last. I am not sure about feature 4, that depends on the judges. Maybe they miss feature 3 because of their crazy dismount in the SP.

Height and distance is more part of the GOE. And they deserve +3 for sure.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This team love or hate them, are willed for oly glory by Savchenko. She is tough, fierce, she is driven. They really have everything if they skate clean to compete with anyoe. Yes, a quad might help but if they are totally clean and D and R or S and H make mistakes it is theirs. Remember the Russians are kind of looking very shakey with V and T out, S and K AND K and S trying to find themselves, T and M are too flat still to really challenge. S/M could go all the way with or without a quad twist.