Should I change my blade size? | Golden Skate

Should I change my blade size?

kikokiko

Spectator
I bought my first pair of skates second hand, and so i didn’t have a lot of sizing choices. consequently the ones i ended up buying were half a size too small. When buying my new skate, i was thinking of sizing up in order to get a better fit, but in doing so I would also need to buy a blade that is 1/4 inch bigger than my previous one. The blade that I would like to purchase is also not available in my old size, and so I would need to buy the one that is 1/4 inch bigger, or choose a different blade. I was wondering if having a larger blade would impact my skating drastically, and if I should just stick to a smaller boot+blade. Thank you!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You need to be fitted properly for both boots and blades. A reputable fitter will answer all those queries. The first thing you need to start with is properly fitted and fitting boots. Then choose blades and have them fitted in the right size for the boot. Some people prefer to have a blade that fits toe to heel, others prefer to have the heel of the blade 1/4" in from the back of the heel. It's personal choice and not something that matters a jot until you reach a certain level of skating. Don't sweat the small stuff; get fitted properly and it'll all work out.

Ask the top level skaters at your rink where they get fitted and make an appointment. If you can't do that, then ask @Ic3Rabbit and she'll probably either know a fitter or know someone who does.

SK4T3

Rinkside
As @WednesdayMarch mentioned; I Prefer Toe to Heel; but you need to be properly fitted by a well known reputable fitter.
I'm skating 1/4 (0,25) but before 1/3 (0,33) sizes. But these sizes also differs on the Boot, Brand (and even Model).

Please give us some more technical information about Brand and Model Boot and Brand and Model Blades you are looking/watching for.

I don't think you have to change your recommended blades (or boots) because of their availability. Please be patient!

My expertise only reach MK, JW, Edea and Risport because of our own personal experience.