Favorite Costumes of All Time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Costumes of All Time

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
14 posts in and nobody has brought up Peggy Fleming's classic dress yet? What kind of skating fans are you? :shocked:

I noticed some of the posters are new, so I guess they wouldn't have a clue about Peggy Fleming's classic chartreuse dress! I, however, remember it very well and remember reading that it was made by her mother!

Most, if not all, of Michelle Kwan's dresses. I think my all-time favorite is an exhibition dress (quite bedazzled actually) where she skated to One More Time (from movie Message in Bottle). I also loved the burgundy red velvet one she wore for Red Violin and her Fields of Gold dress (which must be falling apart as I read she wore it more than 100 times in exhibitions for Nationals/Worlds/Olympics/Champions on Ice!)

Gracie Gold - last season's SP and LP, this season's SP copy of last season's SP only in blue and the new one she wore for her LP at Worlds 2015.

Yuna Kim - everything she wears is gorgeous!

Last edited by a moderator:

keasus

On the Ice
14 posts in and nobody has brought up Peggy Fleming's classic dress yet? What kind of skating fans are you? :shocked:

I noticed some of the posters are new, so I guess they wouldn't have a clue about Peggy Fleming's classic chartreuse dress! I, however, remember it very well and remember reading that it was made by her mother!

I remember it well because it launched a thousand dreams for me! Peggy's mom made all her costumes. She did a great job because the cut and style of those costumes from 1965-1968, after which she turned pro, still look timeless and classic. After she turned pro, Bob Mackie, who designed Cher's costumes among others, designed some of Peggy's costumes for her TV specials and Ice Follies. I think the most important component in design is the cut and tailoring, and Peggy's home-made costumes had it in spades. Bravo Mrs. Doris Fleming!

Last edited by a moderator:

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Don't get me started on Cher's costumes! I used to love seeing what she would be wearing each week to open the Cher show. It was always some magnificent cape that she would take off to reveal another fabulous Bob Mackie creation!

edenlover

On the Ice
My favorite of Michelle's was the red lace dress she wore for her short in 1996--the Flamenco as she once called it. It had elbow length sleeves with a ruffle around the edge, and just a little bit of glitz. It was appropriate for a 16 year old, and it went so well with the music and the style of the program. And the color was just terrific for her. Magic! I'll post a link if I can find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=12&v=1imuQWeIi4Q

I also loved Kristy Y's Olympic SP dress that she wore in 92. It was very flowy--waltzy. Fit the music and program beautifully as well. Guess I love the feminine look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9yz4PmYi-0

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
I think there are certain skaters who had/have beautiful costumes every time they perform/ed. A few who come to mind: Michelle Kwan, Yu-Na Kim, Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Kira Korpii, Maia and Alex Shibutani, Elena Ilinykh, Merle Davis and Charlie White, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. And the Chinese pairs skaters always look very well put together.

A few of my favorites:
Mao Asada's Liebestraum costume—the beading

Michelle Kwan's Tosca costume—love the criss-cross straps in the back

Akiko Suzuki's O costume—one of the most original and attractive costumes

Ashley Wagner's Samson & Delilah costume—she rocks yellow, which is not an easy color to pull off
Either
2013-2014 version
2012-2013 version

Merle Davis and Charlie White's Indian folk dance OD costumes—culturally appropriate; thought it was very cool that after they did their dance, many people of Indian descent were very happy with it (nice job all around with the choreo, music, and costuming!)

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushy's costume for 2000-2001 GPF for his gypsy dance LP. This costume is everything, this program is everything <3 :')

I'm not gonna lie...that particular costume made me swoon. Daaaamn. :bow:

I also love the red sequinned vest and silver sequinned tie costume he wore for Tango Amore, it's fabulous I don't even care that it's tacky. :p

I also really liked Irina Slutskaya's costume for her short program in 2005-2006, work those pants!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle's "Lyra" costume - 1997/1998

Todd's "First Knight" Costume -1996 Worlds (I also liked the simplicity of his 1998 Worlds costume in blue)

Fumie's "Jupiter" costume

Most of Yuka, Kristi, & Sasha's costumes

Paul Wylie's costumes (especially for "Henry V" & "Carmina Burana")

Maia Shibutani's "Blue Danube" dress

I'll probably think of more that I really like ...

mintx

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan's Lyra Angelica. Simple. Beautiful. Perfect with the music.

Yes yes yes! My all time favorite.

I may list other favorites later but as soon as I saw this thread this is the dress that came to mind.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I'm not gonna lie...that particular costume made me swoon. Daaaamn. :bow:

I also love the red sequinned vest and silver sequinned tie costume he wore for Tango Amore, it's fabulous I don't even care that it's tacky. :p

I also really liked Irina Slutskaya's costume for her short program in 2005-2006, work those pants!

I knooowwwwww this costume is SO gorgeous (and he wears it so well :eek::). The Michael Jackson costumes and Bolero and Carmen ones were also great. At olys 2010 i personally preferred his short program one than the one with the tie but tbh i am not the best judge and Plush can do no wrong to me :biggrin:

Irina is the same, I am really partial to her. Her costumes were always lovely to me

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, I don't remember the year or competition, but I liked one of Carolina Costner dresses...
Other than that, Julia's red and blue dresses from 2013-2014 season
Mao's dress at the SP Sochi Olympics

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States