2016 World Championships Ladies SP | Page 111 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Ladies SP

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I can't even watch the SP because of how disgusting the scoring was. And Mao! She did PERFECT 3A and 3Lo in the warm up right before!! Performance and skating-wise, Pogostick was equal to Gracie but was that reflected in the scoring? Of course not. Pogostick even had better jumps!

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't even watch the ladies, but I am finding the "oh, those Americans just don't understand they didn't even cheer, they are so anti-Russian" a tad tiresome.

For whatever reason, in every sporting event in the US of A, the crowd leaves with ten minutes to go. In Boston. In Philadelphia. In Los Angeles. Whether we're playing the team across town, the Russians, or the team from Mars.

Rude, probably. But boo hoo hoo anti-Russian? Puh-leeeze. Sorry, guys, Jackson B. Squat to do with Russia; you'll need to find something else to feed the "horrible Americans dis the Russians" story. I'm sure you will. ;)

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't even watch the ladies, but I am finding the "oh, those Americans just don't understand they didn't even cheer, they are so anti-Russian" a tad tiresome.

For whatever reason, in every sporting event in the US of A, the crowd leaves with ten minutes to go. In Boston. In Philadelphia. In Los Angeles. Whether we're playing the team across town, the Russians, or the team from Mars.

Rude, probably. But boo hoo hoo anti-Russian? Puh-leeeze. Sorry, guys, Jackson B. Squat to do with Russia; you'll need to find something else to feed the "horrible Americans dis the Russians" story. I'm sure you will. ;)

I hadn't thought about it that way but it's true. It does seem to be a countrywide thing.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice

I had to look up an article for this because it is so true...basically it was game 6 (best of 7) of the NBA finals and fans started leaving because they thought Miami was losing but the game turned and they missed out.

"Hundreds Of Heat Fans Leave Game 6 Early; A Nation Laughs"
http://http://deadspin.com/hundreds-of-heat-fans-leave-game-6-early-a-nation-laug-514254371

If Americans can't even stay to the end for Lebron James what makes you think they will for Pogorilaya?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If Americans can't even stay to the end for Lebron James what makes you think they will for Pogorilaya?

The hope that they might have basic manners? Is that too much to ask?

el henry, you appear to have missed my point. I didn't say the crowd was anti-Russian because they started leaving before Kovtun and Pogorilaya. I thought they were rude for that.

I thought there might have been some bias in the crowd because of the muted reaction to Medvedeva and Radionova's skates, particularly Medvedeva's which was quite clean to the naked eye, and particularly compared to...others...who got whole-arena standing-Os for programs with visible flaws.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Does anyone know if we can file a petition asking the ISU to retrain the judges on scoring? I mean they now give out 70+s so easily and the its degrading the value of the numbers, especially those that were given to really fantastic skates. Don't give that bull like 'the scoring has changed'/ 'scores from different event are not comparable'. Because when a score is given, it stays forever and it acts as a precedent on how a program should be scored. Unlike 6.0 where you may get a 5.8 this time and a 6.0 the other time, in CoP you should get a certain amount of score EVERY time. There can be an approximation error but that should not be big, like +-2 points.

The Finn

Record Breaker
So now we need to compare which overscoring was more blantant?

I guess if we need to accept overscoring then we might as well go the next step.

Sochi/Sotnikova was an "in your face" overscored event. Gracie's PCS here, just a few points too high is nothing compared to Sochi with an obvious unfair connection between judge or judges wife (I forget) and skater.

We will see how this will turn out once the FS have been skated but at the moment most likely scenario is the one where Boston 2016 will be by far the most corrupted skating event.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I had to look up an article for this because it is so true...basically it was game 6 (best of 7) of the NBA finals and fans started leaving because they thought Miami was losing but the game turned and they missed out.

http://http://deadspin.com/hundreds-of-heat-fans-leave-game-6-early-a-nation-laug-514254371

I remember that, and laughing at them when it happened.

I'm one of those people who will stay at something until the bitter end. There was one year when my Black Bears had started off the season really well, and then it was right around my birthday that the UNH game came around. My father's boss couldn't use his season tickets, so he let my father and me use them. They were great seats, but that's beside the point of this story. My Black Bears ending up getting blown out in that game, and lots of people left before the final period ended, but my father and I stayed until the bitter end. I think they did end up having a decent run in the NCAA tourney that year, but that's an entirely different topic.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The hope that they might have basic manners? Is that too much to ask?

el henry, you appear to have missed my point. I didn't say the crowd was anti-Russian because they started leaving before Kovtun and Pogorilaya. I thought they were rude for that.

I thought there might have been some bias in the crowd because of the muted reaction to Medvedeva and Radionova's skates, particularly Medvedeva's which was quite clean to the naked eye, and particularly compared to...others...who got whole-arena standing-Os for programs with visible flaws.

Hey Karne. I think, in general, American audiences tend to like more mature performances. I don't think we've ever warmed up to the little girls who skim across the ice.

For example, I was not surprised that the audience reaction to Pogo was much more warm than the one for the other Russians. I think the idea of the gangly Russian and Japanese adolescents racking up huge scores leaves American's scratching their heads. Well, it does me at any rate.

Pogo's more mature style and power suit the American eye much more.

Also, American audiences are pretty savvy about a lot of things, backstory stuff, so the applause for someone like Mirai had much to do with things other than the actual performance she had just delivered. Although it was quite nice.

I was disappointed that your girl didn't make the final. I'm sorry, I was hoping for it.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ nope
crowd cheered loudly for even smaller girl little Elizabet and give satoko a partial SO too.

Sabine

On the Ice
I was sitting in Loge section 11, row 14, and I and most of the people around me gave a standing ovation to Pogorilaya. We did not stand for Medvedeva and Radionova, however, who in my opinion were just mediocre tonight.
Just watching on screen it looked different: Pogo went pretty slow in her jumps especially her combo, while Medwedewa, Wagner and Gold seemed to be much more dynamic. Also Medwedewas spins looked much faster than Pogorilayas. I was surprised...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ nope
crowd cheered loudly for even smaller girl little Elizabet and give satoko a partial SO too.

Huh. Well, maybe it's just me that doesn't like the little girls. I don't enjoy any of them, so I just assumed all right-thinking people were in agreement.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So I just got back from a loooooonnnnggggg walk back from the arena + a semi-bar crawl. BUT Anna P was my girl tonight, regardless of the results. Her jumps are huge and she was just so impressive and passionate!

I am happy Gracie skated a clean program but generally agree that 76 was a bit high....I am OK with her being in first. Ashley did well too. Overall, nitpicking at numbers aside, and I'm not even a huge ladies fan...I really enjoyed the SP, especially the last two groups and Elizabet, Zijun, Amy and Dabin in the earlier groups.

I'll write more later....

da96103

Record Breaker

Will they stay for Ashley and Gracie in FS?

da96103

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if we can file a petition asking the ISU to retrain the judges on scoring? I mean they now give out 70+s so easily and the its degrading the value of the numbers, especially those that were given to really fantastic skates. Don't give that bull like 'the scoring has changed'/ 'scores from different event are not comparable'. Because when a score is given, it stays forever and it acts as a precedent on how a program should be scored. Unlike 6.0 where you may get a 5.8 this time and a 6.0 the other time, in CoP you should get a certain amount of score EVERY time. There can be an approximation error but that should not be big, like +-2 points.

That's what we all thought. But this year Mao was demoted.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i cant wait for the day when Elizabet grows taller and people will talk about other thing than "ohh she looks 12, no no actually 10, or even 9, her face looks old but her body says otherwise" and notice other amazing qualities she has :luv17: i said it before, i will say it again (and again and again!) i think she is destined for great step sequences!! she rocked that program :hap57: and her jumps looks getting bigger to me :yes:

and crowd seemed to enjoyed it too! loud cheer she got after her combo and 2A was obvious even on livestream, and that little shimmy made the old couple smile :laugh:

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Gold as WC is my nightmare but good thing I was prepared 4 that possibility:laugh:

Hopefully Mao & Lena can do a great FS!:hap10: u can do it!

& I dont care abot standing Os & all. & I didnt expect them to stand for Lena & Zhenia & etc.
Our ladies get lots of love in other events anyway so I doubt they'd be disapointed here. They probably knew beforehand they wont get the same in this event.
@ Next year WC I bet they'll get a lot of cheers :biggrin:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Gold as WC is my nightmare but good thing I was prepared 4 that possibility:laugh:

Hopefully Mao & Lena can do a great FS!:hap10: u can do it!

& I dont care abot standing Os & all. & I didnt expect them to stand for Lena & Zhenia & etc.
Our ladies get lots of love in other events anyway so I doubt they'd be disapointed here. They probably knew beforehand they wont get the same in this event.
@ Next year WC I bet they'll get a lot of cheers :biggrin:

I'm prepared too :) Also, I don't mind American winning title, good for them (but I'd prefer Ashley over Gracie). But overscoring will end after this event & next season there will be a lot of dissapointment from US media again.

I thought Lena was a little underscored and Anna too, she should be closer to Gracie, but she's not American... I like Japanese, all three of them, but panel was lenient on Satoko all season. Someone had to call that UR at one point, her jumps are not great, and she won't fix them thinking everything is ok. I love everything else from her performance though and I wouldn't mind if her PCS were slightly higher :)

Still drunk from happiness that Anna did so great! :yahoo: