2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Free Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Free Dance

yuna13

On the Ice
waiting to see the dance on youtube with charlie talking. i think he is one of the best ice dance commentators with nathalie péchalat.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Shibs problem is they are too predictable in their responses and are to introverted in their skating especially Maia. They are all about being technically perfect but never really let loose on the ice. That is what made D/W so good they were great technicians but skated with abandon. Maia hits perfect positions but never really reaches out the crowd. The Shibs always say the same thing in interviews like they were reading from a script.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Shibs problem is they are too predictable in their responses and are to introverted in their skating especially Maia. They are all about being technically perfect but never really let loose on the ice. That is what made D/W so good they were great technicians but skated with abandon. The Shibs always say the same thing in interviews like they were reading from a script.

Oh i missed the PCS or TES area that says "dock skaters for canned interview responses..." :laugh:

Also, Davis and White are their own unique team. Maia and Alex have their own style. It might not be to everyone's taste, but what's the point of comparing?

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh i missed the PCS or TES area that says "dock skaters for canned interview responses..." :laugh:

Also, Davis and White are their own unique team. Maia and Alex have their own style. It might not be to everyone's taste, but what's the point of comparing?

I'm just saying that they skate like they give interviews very conservative and by the book but with little to no emotion.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm just saying that they skate like they give interviews very conservative and by the book but with little to no emotion.

I don't agree. De gustibus. I don't think today was the best performance and neither did they.

Just because they're not in your face and screaming "FEEL SOMETHING" doesn't mean they don't have emotion. Again, I get not everyone likes that, but competition is not a popularity contest.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Actually I think the issue with the Shibs this season is that their FD is not outstanding.
Everyone is skating to the same serene music. I feel sleepy after 1 minutes. Even V/M I don't remember their FD at all. The Shibs need something more catchy for their FD.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually I think the issue with the Shibs this season is that their FD is not outstanding.
Everyone is skating to the same serene music. I feel sleepy after 1 minutes. Even V/M I don't remember their FD at all. The Shibs need something more catchy for their FD.

But again, that's a matter of taste right? I happen to like it better than Fix You...

(and I'm okay with being in the minority for that)

Their getting decent scores for it....

Last edited:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States

Check V/M FD from Canadian Nationals. I don't find it sleepy at all.

matcha

Medalist
The Shibs problem is they are too predictable in their responses and are to introverted in their skating especially Maia. They are all about being technically perfect but never really let loose on the ice. That is what made D/W so good they were great technicians but skated with abandon.

I'm so tired of this criticism because they have made such strides. Even from GPF to here, look at the performance quality and projection from Maia particularly in the short dance. In the free, yeah they were a bit tight, but I at least didn't feel like it wasn't a skate I wasn't welcome to watch, they have opened up so much and you can tell that the FD means a lot to them and they're sharing it with you. Whatever man. I'm still too worked up over H/B.

The Shibs always say the same thing in interviews like they were reading from a script.
So did D/W lol.

Matilda

Medalist
Yesterday Ashley said in her post short program interview that the ice was sticky (but she didn't use it as an excuse). Maybe the ice really is just bad quality?

Not sure if it was Terry or Johnny who said that Raf had told them before the men's SP that they had dulled Nathan's blades a bit "for this ice" to help his 3A take-off. That, and Ashley's comment, suggests to me that the ice is too cold (maybe they're used to freezing it for hockey rather than figure skating? When the ice is too cold it gets rutted easier, too.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
This must be what Karne felt like last night. I don't get it- I was so careful not to root for them. :cry:

Ok, maybe I jinxed them bc I was rooting for them so hard. Like Tanith, I was looking forward to their performance more than any other in the whole ID competition. And I don't think their mistakes had anything to do w Jean-Luc's stature. I think Kaitlin let the competition nerves get to her a little more than usual. I even saw that a little in the short dance. How else do you explain that they had their absolute worst performance this entire season? My impression is that Kaitlin is a very determined, hardworking, and intelligent young lady, so hopefully this experience will just make them better and stronger.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Very interesting....the ice dance Worlds team is pretty darn obvious, but waiting until tomorrow for pairs means they might be considering sending a team not in the top 2....

IIRC/AFAIK from recent years, Sunday noon-ish has been the typical time for announcing Pairs, Ladies, and Dance.

So I think the change this year is that Dance is being announced today. And yes, I agree that Dance is not a difficult decision.

(Men typically have been announced on Sunday evening ... soon after the Men's FS.)

I forgot to send hugs :ghug: to Hubbell/Donohue and Hawayek/Baker.

Madi H's tears were heartwrenching. Donohue and Baker always are very supportive partners, so that of course is great.

Congrats :yay: to the Shibs, C/B, H/D, and ... :cool: Ellie and Alex.

Last edited:

Eislauf

On the Ice
Not sure if it was Terry or Johnny who said that Raf had told them before the men's SP that they had dulled Nathan's blades a bit "for this ice" to help his 3A take-off. That, and Ashley's comment, suggests to me that the ice is too cold (maybe they're used to freezing it for hockey rather than figure skating? When the ice is too cold it gets rutted easier, too.

Interesting. It's harder to hold an edge on colder, harder, faster "hockey ice". But if Ashley was saying that the ice is "too sticky", then that could mean that the ice is 'slow', i.e., too warm for what she's used to. Dulling Nathan's blades slightly would give him a bit more speed and glide on warmer ice.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I bet M/C are thinking maybe that could have been us as pewter medalists if we had moved up instead of staying on the Junior level. P/B now have a advantage on them and the Parsons by making this move. They took a chance and now are on the podium.

Barb

Record Breaker
The Shibs problem is they are too predictable in their responses and are to introverted in their skating especially Maia. They are all about being technically perfect but never really let loose on the ice. That is what made D/W so good they were great technicians but skated with abandon. Maia hits perfect positions but never really reaches out the crowd. The Shibs always say the same thing in interviews like they were reading from a script.

I think they are skating with more abadon and trying cover more ice at this competition, I think that could be the cause of the mistake. And Maia is not introverted anymore, in the SD she is the star, she sells totally the program, the contrast with the FD is amazing. Madison C. looks same in SD and FD, but you can see to Maia doing two different roles.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I bet M/C are thinking maybe that could have been us as pewter medalists if we had moved up instead of staying on the Junior level. P/B now have a advantage on them and the Parsons by making this move. They took a chance and now are on the podium.

Or not. They made a decision based on what's best for them, not what others are doing.