2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 68 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating

winky97

Medalist
Thanks winky97........It sounds like Tuk didn't skate well. I think back 2 years and Tuk and Gracie were the talk of the town. Now, it seems like they're fading out after shinning so brightly. Especially Tuk, She was the Champion of Everything!!

Liza's SP was fine, however, the LP she felll like three times.

Last edited:

Tyranid

Final Flight
The Cup for Russia Final will take place on Feb. 12, in less than two weeks. This comp. determines the 3'rd spot if there are "doubts".

Ideally, Radionova and Sotskova need a skate-off to determine the 3'rd spot. Liza Tuktamysheva :sad21: has no chance this season, and I'm afraid... she might be gone forever as a top FS competitor. :(

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
The Cup for Russia Final will take place on Feb. 12, in less than two weeks. This comp. determines the 3'rd spot if there are "doubts".

Ideally, Radionova and Sotskova need a skate-off to determine the 3'rd spot. Liza Tuktamysheva :sad21: has no chance this season, and I'm afraid... she might be gone forever as a top FS competitor. :(

Maria has already earned that third Worlds spot, fair and square, IMO. Please, no more test for those physically and mentally fatigued girls!

skatespin

On the Ice
Maria has already earned that third Worlds spot, fair and square, IMO. Please, no more test for those physically and mentally fatigued girls!

I disagree, I think this season they are about evenly matched with Elena doing better sometimes and Maria doing better sometimes. Neither of them have been squeaky clean skaters this season. I do empathize with Elena's height and changing body struggle. She is really trying to hang on even though she is clearly having a hard time. She is a better performer and has better programs this time around. I do feel bad for Maria though, in that the upcoming Russian juniors will likely make future worlds/olympics spots highly unlikely for her, whereas Elena has already gone to world's twice.

Selection committee has a tough choice for these two. Maybe a skate off at Russian Cup would be best, but I think they will probably go with Maria because they sent her to Europeans and last year when Anna messed up they sent her to world's anyways. But IMO the alternatives were even more risky (Julia, Tuk, Adelina), whereas Elena is more steady and equivalent, but she hasn't really seized the opportunity to show that she is obviously better. So it may come down to whoever the federation favors more.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I think they should send Maria to worlds anyway: she looks a little scared at the moment so it might be a good experience for her going to senior Worlds for the first time.

On the other hand look at Elena's scores at Universiade: these scores are getting lower and lower, she could have lost to Liza, and that means she needs to rework on her technique because everything looks shaky. She has this big opportunity before the Olympic season, not going to Worlds is not the end of the world.

Also unlikely we'll see a russian sweep podium at Worlds.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think they should send Maria to worlds anyway: she looks a little scared at the moment so it might be a good experience for her going to senior Worlds for the first time.

On the other hand look at Elena's scores at Universiade: these scores are getting lower and lower, she could have lost to Liza, and that means she needs to rework on her technique because everything looks shaky. She has this big opportunity before the Olympic season, not going to Worlds is not the end of the world.

Also unlikely we'll see a russian sweep podium at Worlds.

Pogo skating right after Carolina and you see what happened to her PCS. It dropped like a rock.
I think Russian sweep is a fantasy at this point. There are Satoko, Kaitlyn vying for the silver and bronze. Maria would need a miracle to beat a host of girls. Pogo can beat all of them, but she better be perfect in both phases and hope they make some mistakes. They have no problem pushing her down.

Elena wouldn't do better than Maria. She had her chances, let Maria have hers.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I disagree, I think this season they are about evenly matched with Elena doing better sometimes and Maria doing better sometimes. Neither of them have been squeaky clean skaters this season. I do empathize with Elena's height and changing body struggle. She is really trying to hang on even though she is clearly having a hard time. She is a better performer and has better programs this time around. I do feel bad for Maria though, in that the upcoming Russian juniors will likely make future worlds/olympics spots highly unlikely for her, whereas Elena has already gone to world's twice.

Selection committee has a tough choice for these two. Maybe a skate off at Russian Cup would be best, but I think they will probably go with Maria because they sent her to Europeans and last year when Anna messed up they sent her to world's anyways. But IMO the alternatives were even more risky (Julia, Tuk, Adelina), whereas Elena is more steady and equivalent, but she hasn't really seized the opportunity to show that she is obviously better. So it may come down to whoever the federation favors more.

I'd much prefer Maria....even though it's pretty clear she is prone to under-rotations, however, she has a presence and something very honest about her skating.

stryke

On the Ice
Can anyone play guessing game who could be that mysterious Quad Girl? :biggrin: I think Tsurskaya could pull of a Quad.

Eteri said the quad girl was 12 years old. The only two choices we have to pick from are Shcherbakova and Trusova. Now which of the two do you think could muscle a quad? I think it's Trusova since she's been shown gunning for the more difficult elements. But Shcherbakova surprised me with an 11 triple, 2 double axel free program all in the second half so she has a lot of hidden strength. So while I'm still leaning towards Trusova there really isn't a definite answer yet.

madison

Record Breaker
Eteri said the quad girl was 12 years old. The only two choices we have to pick from are Shcherbakova and Trusova. Now which of the two do you think could muscle a quad? I think it's Trusova since she's been shown gunning for the more difficult elements. But Shcherbakova surprised me with an 11 triple, 2 double axel free program all in the second half so she has a lot of hidden strength. So while I'm still leaning towards Trusova there really isn't a definite answer yet.
I think it's Shcherbakova. Trusova is pushed to jump 3 axel.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
3a and 4s seem to be like cousins in my mind. :think:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I am not interested in any so-called "Quad Girl". What's the point? They are only fragile little kids, not some jumping machines a coach should boast of in front of the press. Even before puberty the coach should learn how to protect these little girls from getting injured instead of encouraging them to attempt the "Quad", one of men's technical elements. JMO.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I am not interested in any so-called "Quad Girl". What's the point? They are only fragile little kids, not some jumping machines a coach should boast of in front of the press. Even before puberty the coach should learn how to protect these little girls from getting injured instead of encouraging them to attempt the "Quad", one of men's technical elements. JMO.

It's not about if we are interested or not. It's about the competition between Russia and Japan. Looking at the current juniors and those who are behind them the only other country to meddle into our standoff is Korea. Although frankly speaking, these chances are not that big so far. Hence, Russia and Japan look at each other and at the signals they send to each other. Japan showed Rika Kihira who successfully landed 3A at the competition. Marin mentioned a quad (don't believe her, though). I think that overall Russian juniors are stronger at the moment. But without reaching new level this advantage may disappear in a couple of years - the Japanese won't let to rest on the laurels