Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
all i hope for is that they keep going after 2018... i know it's stupid (waiting for your turn)... but i hope they do get a chance... at least weapo got a couple years of glory after all the 2014 left...piper and paul deserve it so much. they are special!!!!!

tulosai

Record Breaker
all i hope for is that they keep going after 2018... i know it's stupid (waiting for your turn)... but i hope they do get a chance... at least weapo got a couple years of glory after all the 2014 left...piper and paul deserve it so much. they are special!!!!!

I also REALLY hope they don't retire after the Olys...unbelievably given how long Paul has been around they're both still only 25 so it's definitely possible that they'd have another cycle left in them.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I also REALLY hope they don't retire after the Olys...unbelievably given how long Paul has been around they're both still only 25 so it's definitely possible that they'd have another cycle left in them.

I hope so, too. I'm going to stitch a little portrait of them and send it. Maybe we can bribe them with gifts

snd

On the Ice
yes they are young and should continue, 'waiting'. someone should tell them this. they have no other options other than this or quitting. right now others are being overscored at their expense. once they are gone g/p might get the recognition they deserve. they are like pechalat/bourzat (but more skilled) slowed down thrice in their career development process or something...

TAT always gushes over them, btw. always. i can't recall an event when she didn't just LOVE them. i don't always agree with her but i'm happy at least somebody whose opinion is generally held in high regard makes a point of appreciating these two OUT LOUD. thanks, TAT.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Goodness - I loved this SD! They certainly gave a clinic on how perform in character from their introduction to the Kiss & Cry. You have to so well trained to pull this off.

Ben Agosto said that they spend an hour a day just on basic skating. It certainly showed today. :yes:

reneerose

Final Flight
I thought the were underscored on PCS today. I'm sure others felt the same way. I just love love love both of this season's programs. Their edges are gorgeous!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The best program of the night! Underscored for me. But not only they were...

musicfan80

Medalist
That tango was so great! I think they were underscored in the PCS as well. I think it was genius for Piper to be a in that light blue dress (instead of the typical red you see in tangos) and let the dance show "the fire".

I hope they improve next season - I'm not sure if they will get higher than being #3 at Canadians. I think their ceiling is higher than Weaver/Poje, but I don't think they will overtake them by next season. But more surprising things have happened in ice dancing.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
That tango was so great! I think they were underscored in the PCS as well. I think it was genius for Piper to be a in that light blue dress (instead of the typical red you see in tangos) and let the dance show "the fire".

I hope they improve next season - I'm not sure if they will get higher than being #3 at Canadians. I think their ceiling is higher than Weaver/Poje, but I don't think they will overtake them by next season. But more surprising things have happened in ice dancing.

I'm a WeaPo fan too, so I won't complain about them doing okay. I wish there weren't such thing as no1 or 2 or 3. Unfortunately there is.. and it does define scores in many competitions. But we have seen that it may be overcome, H/D could beat Shibs today, and they were considered team no 3 in US. So I just keep my fingers that judges stop care about country rankings or big federations and just score teams accordingly to the performance they gave.

nimi

Medalist
RE: FD PCS...The Finnish broadcasting company Yle had Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko commentate on the FD event. (FYI: Rahkamo&Kokko were the first - and to this date, only - Finnish ice dancers to have significant international success & medals back in the 90s, known for their out-of-the-box programs. Also, originators of the Finnstep. Rahkamo is nowadays the president of the Finnish federation.)

To roughly summarize and paraphrase… During the 6min warm-up of the SP top5, the interviewer remarked that G&P had a very good audience response for their tango but the judges' response was less good. Rahkamo&Kokko then talked about how difficult it is to develop the tango character on ice and gave props to Piper&Paul for committing to it. They complimented G&P for doing ID lifts that actually looked like tango style lifts instead just some random ID lifts that look cool and get the applause, and thought that G&P handled their music well, using contrasting rhythms and accents: quick, sharp movements as well as pauses and well placed empty spaces in the choreo, instead of just filling the whole thing with steps from start to finish. Rahkamo also said that it's a pity that the current judging system doesn't allow the judges to fully reward programs like this FD that are just really, really enjoyable to watch; Kokko disagreed with her on that and said that the system actually would have allowed the judges to give more credit to a FD like this (therefore implying that G&P were indeed underscored in some aspects of the PCS.)

snd

On the Ice
RE: FD PCS...The Finnish broadcasting company Yle had Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko commentate on the FD event. (FYI: Rahkamo&Kokko were the first - and to this date, only - Finnish ice dancers to have significant international success & medals back in the 90s, known for their out-of-the-box programs. Also, originators of the Finnstep. Rahkamo is nowadays the president of the Finnish federation.)

To roughly summarize and paraphrase… During the 6min warm-up of the SP top5, the interviewer remarked that G&P had a very good audience response for their tango but the judges' response was less good. Rahkamo&Kokko then talked about how difficult it is to develop the tango character on ice and gave props to Piper&Paul for committing to it. They complimented G&P for doing ID lifts that actually looked like tango style lifts instead just some random ID lifts that look cool and get the applause, and thought that G&P handled their music well, using contrasting rhythms and accents: quick, sharp movements as well as pauses and well placed empty spaces in the choreo, instead of just filling the whole thing with steps from start to finish. Rahkamo also said that it's a pity that the current judging system doesn't allow the judges to fully reward programs like this FD that are just really, really enjoyable to watch; Kokko disagreed with her on that and said that the system actually would have allowed the judges to give more credit to a FD like this (therefore implying that G&P were indeed underscored in some aspects of the PCS.)

super interesting. thanks for the info. i also think one can easily reward such great choreo - i mean, there is a separate 'choreo' category in pcs for chrissakes. i was there, sitting very close to the rink. piper's (second) twizzles were unfortunately sloppy and the pair oozed what i'd call fear when they did their riskier elements - but the only pair that did NOT, were the shibs so idk why g/p got such low pcs compared to everyone else except the bronze medalists.

g/p had very clean, crisp skating, edges, turns, great unison. this is something that really stood out compared to most pairs who received better scores. i'm not the only person who says this. they don't get appropriately scored for these strengths. i think they should have been maybe 7th overall, they have performed this great fd much better during the season.

reneerose

Final Flight
Is anyone setting their alarm for the shaving of Paul's moustache post Worlds this morning? 10:45 am ET. I just re-watched their tango and disco programs again. They did do the tango much better at Skate Canada it seems. Forgot to post that I loved the changes Piper did to her costume for Worlds, the stars were a great improvement. Hope their next programs in the Olympic season are just as good.

Edited to add: Shaving off of Paul's moustache with a cameo by Charlie Bilodeau :laugh: Paul and Piper are so cute together! https://www.facebook.com/pg/PiperandPaul/videos/?ref=page_internal

Piper looks so much younger without the makeup too. And the music played during this was on point! Too adorable!

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Ben Agosto was very complimentary of their tango FD. He mentioned that if muted the music, you can't tell that it's a tango for some pairs because they go in and out of the tango theme. But Ben said that Piper and Paul stay true the full time in every motion, expression, spin and lift. It set them apart but, sadly was not awarded artistically as it should have.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
a true winners of a medal for me, on par with WeaPo:ghug::points:

aside of Virtue/Moir, the only SD which really stood out for me, both in terms of concept/choreo and execution - the original, unusual factor of it is surprising and eye-catching, it stood out, made them look fresh and interesting (I felt somehow that if even Tarasova was eager to phrase them for their originality in elements and their programs, they are a real deal indeed...). One of very few teams who commit to the no end to their programs, it's like stepping on theatre scene to put a performance, you just get in the role from the moment you put your foot on it - Piper and Paul did the same in both dances. A real cohesion of all elements making an allure and unique package.

They are truly one of a kind in the field and I hope for great Olympic season for them, they just have to hit it harder in terms of execution/consistency.

reneerose

Final Flight
I just discovered them this season after years of not being able to really watch any skating and I found that their keeping in character until they stepped off the ice exactly as mentioned in posts above as a theatrical performance...that was very unique and not something that is usually seen in other ice dance programs by their fellow competitors. I just hope they don't get held back on purpose by the judges like certain previous Canadian ice dancers have been....Bourne and Kraatz I'm looking at you. A few of their programs I haven't been able to get into personally, but I've liked what I've seen overall and really want them to podium at the Olympics!

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
Realized that I haven't commented on their thread. Their tango is my one of my most favorite this season. Love how they always did something interesting with their footwork and their performance felt like watching a smouldering film noir. There're way too many sloppy, generic tango in figure skating. Piper used to try her luck as an actress and had a cameo in Simple Plan's video. Wondering how far she would have gone had she stayed with acting is my pastime pursuit :biggrin:

Their SD grew on me over time. I had no interest in disco before, but the integrity in concept, choreo and commitment to execution won me over.