2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 64 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ we are not mean... we bring the best in you. Look.. you wrote a positive post, stating why you are concerned. This is much more constructive.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^^^ Sorry, with respect to all for having a unique perspective, and in celebration to those offering a difference in opinions, you lost me at "mean" ...:noshake:

beki

Medalist
I’m encouraged to see Alaine land her lutz again. Glimmerings of hope in that free skate. And her costumes and packaging are beautiful this year. I can understand feeling a loss of confidence and the pressure to prove herself. But I don’t see someone else emerging to snatch that third spot. My wish is that she can feel a sense of freedom, take her Olympic opportunity and make the most of it.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Whole post, including the kitchen sink

Does anyone have David Pelletier's number? I'd better shoot him a quick text and ask him what the message board equivalent is to a backloaded program.... because I think I need a serious bathroom break after reading that. :rofl:

In all seriousness, that was a pretty bleak outlook on the entirety of Canadian skating. :slink: We have world medallists in all four disciplines, and three of the four have world champions. Aren't you essentially likening all them to past-their-prime has-beens?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm a worrier and can be a negative nelly so I get what he's saying.

When I worst case scenario everything out I can see how Canada only gets 2 medals: Team and Dance. I expect Canada to get at least a bronze in the team event, more realistically the silver and possibly the Gold if Patrick is back in form. I can also see V/M losing to P/C but I don't think they will fall to 3rd unless something really bad happens.

Gabby is really struggling right now. S/B and I/M have not had a great GP season. G/P aren't getting the results they got last season. W/P did well at SC but I don't feel sure about them at all until after France and we see how they are placed. Keegan seems to having the best GP season for the men right now. I don't even know what to say about Alaine and Nam.

But I do this most of time with things like skating that are beyond my control. I go with a reasonably low expectation so I'm not too disappointed. Then if something great happens like Kaetlyn getting a medal or Patrick skating lights out or Canada winning the Gold in the team event I am happily surprised instead of run over by the Fun Bus.

singerskates

On the Ice
Allison and Aurora are the best Canadian Ladies on JGP. Neither have cracked 100 in the FS this season and Aurura is yet to crack 50 in the SP. I think Aurora is age eligible by a few days where as Allison is too young maybe.
Allison is only 14 and has 2 more years of Juniors to grow her consistency, gain the 3A and a 4T or 4S or both, and bring her PCS up to 7.5's to 10's. If she makes it to the Olympics, the first one she will be age qualified for is 2022 when she is 18.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm a worrier and can be a negative nelly so I get what he's saying.

When I worst case scenario everything out I can see how Canada only gets 2 medals: Team and Dance. I expect Canada to get at least a bronze in the team event, more realistically the silver and possibly the Gold if Patrick is back in form. I can also see V/M losing to P/C but I don't think they will fall to 3rd unless something really bad happens.

Gabby is really struggling right now. S/B and I/M have not had a great GP season. G/P aren't getting the results they got last season. W/P did well at SC but I don't feel sure about them at all until after France and we see how they are placed. Keegan seems to having the best GP season for the men right now. I don't even know what to say about Alaine and Nam.

But I do this most of time with things like skating that are beyond my control. I go with a reasonably low expectation so I'm not too disappointed. Then if something great happens like Kaetlyn getting a medal or Patrick skating lights out or Canada winning the Gold in the team event I am happily surprised instead of run over by the Fun Bus.

yes.. i get that... i think we are all a bit like that... however, when sharing our concerns with others, when the glass looks half-empty rather than hall-full, it's important to bring up some hope or constructive criticism. That's the main issue many of us have had to deal with. It gets extremely negative to only hear the negative comments when we are trying to cheer and support our favourites. We are not spring chickens... we have cheered for people like Josée or Emanuel who never won anything (well both of them medaled at GPs and GPF but that's it).... we have cheered for so many dance teams before any of them got anywhere.... we have cheered for Isabelle and Lloyd when it was clear that North American athletic pair style was never going to beat the beautiful skating of the Russian teams back then....

So we are used to cheer for skaters who may not win, because WE LIKE THEM.... We know that Patrick no longer has enough quads.... we know that our ladies will have to be squeaky clean to win a medal... but in sport, if there is no hope, no "perhaps" no "good luck" or no chance to rise to the occasion, then there is no competition and always the same one wins it all.

The olympics happen once every four year. It gets very heavy when constantly, people pick on our Canadian skaters... and this year, even more so, considering how well they did at worlds....

In other words, we are open to constructive posts. We are aware of the issues in all disciplines... We are fine discussing maturely. This is not a fan fest and people are welcome to share their opinions, and people do. However, it gets tiring when always the same 2 or 3 posters come chime in with rather not up to date information and perhaps even ill-intentions.

That's all... Let's keep the criticism constructive is all we are asking...

singerskates

On the Ice
yes.. i get that... i think we are all a bit like that... however, when sharing our concerns with others, when the glass looks half-empty rather than hall-full, it's important to bring up some hope or constructive criticism. That's the main issue many of us have had to deal with. It gets extremely negative to only hear the negative comments when we are trying to cheer and support our favourites. We are not spring chickens... we have cheered for people like Josée or Emanuel who never won anything (well both of them medaled at GPs and GPF but that's it).... we have cheered for so many dance teams before any of them got anywhere.... we have cheered for Isabelle and Lloyd when it was clear that North American athletic pair style was never going to beat the beautiful skating of the Russian teams back then....

So we are used to cheer for skaters who may not win, because WE LIKE THEM.... We know that Patrick no longer has enough quads.... we know that our ladies will have to be squeaky clean to win a medal... but in sport, if there is no hope, no "perhaps" no "good luck" or no chance to rise to the occasion, then there is no competition and always the same one wins it all.

The olympics happen once every four year. It gets very heavy when constantly, people pick on our Canadian skaters... and this year, even more so, considering how well they did at worlds....

In other words, we are open to constructive posts. We are aware of the issues in all disciplines... We are fine discussing maturely. This is not a fan fest and people are welcome to share their opinions, and people do. However, it gets tiring when always the same 2 or 3 posters come chime in with rather not up to date information and perhaps even ill-intentions.

That's all... Let's keep the criticism constructive is all we are asking...
[emoji6] . I'm [emoji537] [emoji40] instead of figure skating today.

Let me tell yeah, I give kudos to whoever can compete figure skating with the flu like Javier Fernandez did in his last competition during the Grand Prix!

And to come back from having an ovarian cyst removed, where they cut all the layers of your abdomen wall, and then be able to compete the way that Gabby did; hey kudos to her too.

beki

Medalist
I also feel like everyone is forgetting Gabby is a late season skater. I see no reason to panic.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Let me tell yeah, I give kudos to whoever can compete figure skating with the flu like Javier Fernandez did in his last competition during the Grand Prix!

And to come back from having an ovarian cyst removed, where they cut all the layers of your abdomen wall, and then be able to compete the way that Gabby did; hey kudos to her too.

Exactly, I know what that's like and it's no fun whatsoever. But as an athlete you just do it. It's hard to explain. ;)

I hope you feel better soon! :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

exactly... some people are writing Gabby off already... give her a break... 5 triples landed in her long after such a surgery...
others are asking why Alaine is still competing... well, that's none of your business folks... Alaine could compete for another 5 years and I would still be cheering for her.

and enough of the "she's no swan" of course she isn't... she is a proud Canadian goose... :)

:p

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So Tessa & Scott qualified for the GPF and became the second Canadian ice dance team to be making an appearance in Nagoya (Lajoie/Lagha being the first). We'll find out if Meagan & Eric as well as Kaetlyn will be joining them soon. And Keegan Messing is back in consideration for an Olympic spot (perhaps).

Medals so far

9 gold, 4 silver, 8 bronze

21 total

Warsaw Cup is happening this week so we'll have more Canadians on the ice. The subforum is your best source of info.

Skate Canada Challenge is officially in two weeks. The website though is...well, it's quite empty. I guess they gotta figure out who qualified and has the TES minimums. There will be live streaming so if you're feeling deprived of skating after the GP ends and before GPF starts you can just watch Challenge. Some bigger names may also show up.

I mentioned Gilles/Poirier's marks earlier and I ran across this analysis of their PCS which just kind of sums up my concerns: http://twofortheice.tumblr.com/post/166691532277/snapshot-stats-blame-russia-much-discussion-was

mrrice

Record Breaker
Did you guys see Kaetlyn's SP from France? She is sitting in first place going to the free program.........Bravo..:points:

kenboy123

On the Ice
Did you guys see Kaetlyn's SP from France? She is sitting in first place going to the free program.........Bravo..:points:

Although it was still a low scoring short program score for her...in her defense though, everyone else was scored lowly too, many people say it had something to do with the ice????..

mrrice

Record Breaker
Although it was still a low scoring short program score for her...in her defense though, everyone else was scored lowly too, many people say it had something to do with the ice????..

All the scores were low and to see Tuk in last place is nothing short of shocking...Polina Edmunds also has a very low score and they way things have been going, Kaetlyn might be the hope for all of North America when she gets to the Olympics.