Trusova and Quads | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Trusova and Quads

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
And she threw down a new touchstone of excellence in an deeply competitive era in terms of jumping. Looks like she is poised to share with Ito the accolade of the greatest technical trailblazer.

kresslia

Medalist
When did Daleman and Kihira switch to representing Russia? :scratch2:
As far as I see, this is a thread about Trusova and quads. Where is Russia in the title?

And yes, Gabby is training a quad. She was supposed to do it at Nationals, but didn't (I guess because she knew the title was in her grasp).

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Most 13 year olds can't imagine graduating from high school let alone dealing with the long term physical effects of something like this.

And what are the long term effects you're concerned about?

Tara Lipinski is an Olympic gold medalist who underwent hip surgery. Michelle Kwan is a two time Olympic medalist who also underwent hip surgery. Evgeni Plushenko is a 4-time Olympic medalist who underwent a number of surgeries. All because of skating.

Are any of them crippled or in wheelchairs? No. In fact, they are all quite healthy and leading wonderful lives. Do you think any of them would have been happier playing it safe? I highly doubt it.

Show me a famous ex-elite skater that can't walk and then we'll talk.

charlotte14

Medalist
These quads are underrotated and not good GOE quality. That's still considerably worthwhile, but it's wrong to consider them real quads. You can see in real-time the blatant pre-rotation she does on the 4Toe and how it lands short of being perfectly backwards, which it needs to be given the point she takes off at. The Salchow is better on the entrance but certainly short on the landing. Less than 3.25 rotations in the air is not a quad. Overall her program is a display of exactly the wrong direction for figure skating to be going in. The program had virtually no relation to the music or real choreography or performance to speak of. The score for this should be under 140, there wasn't a single tech element that deserved more than +1 GOE and the PCS should be in the low 50's.
Are you describing Shoma Uno, Dimitri Alieve and Vincent Zhou? Their quad Flip and quad Lutz are not real quads as well.

Latremu

Final Flight
Gosh, some people are quite incapable of STAYING ON TOPIC. We are talking about a junior lady doing two quads in Junior Worlds. The senior men have nothing to do with this thread. A little logic would be appreciated. Give Alexandra Trusova her moment.

Trusova is an amazing competitor. She never gave up on those quads! Her determination and athletic ability are very admirable. How I wish she would hold her positions more, but I can't blame her for the choreography. If she is able to keep her jumps (and with her determination, there is a strong possibility, despite her body not going through puberty yet), the current seniors will be hard-pressed to win or even podium. The junior ladies now with her- Alena and the other Russian ladies, the Japanese ladies, the Koreans- they will be a force to be reckoned with in the next few years. The ladies' field looks very promising.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
First, please stop lumping all 'Americans' together just because someone here (who you don't know for sure is even an American) chooses to be a Debbie Downer about Alexandra's quads. As an American I am THRILLED with Trusova's achievements and to say that anyone would care less about a skater's body if she were an American is absurd. :rolleye: We 'Americans' are human beings just like the rest of the world and we care just as much as the next person! AND in an earlier post in this thread, I said that I believe skaters should start learning the triple axels and quad jumps EARLY. It gets much harder when you're an adult.

You don't have to preach like that. Did I generalize about all "Americans", local posters included? But one should be color-blinded to not to see that whatever new success Eteri's students have there are massive sour grapes coming from "fans" from unspecified countries. While even a small success of an American like Ting (whom I liked by the way a lot) has major cheers and support. The opposite is also true. Injuries happen. But injuries in Eteri's camp have immediate reaction on her "inhuman practices".

What would the reaction be if Rika nailed 2 3As? Would I or any other known Russian here speculate about how unsafe it is? No way - we would praise and support her effort as landing to 3As in one program would be a big feat, indeed.

There was no big outcry about Nathan Chen's adding one quad after another. Although he is known to be injury-prone. So much was said about "evil Eteri making Pitkeev break his back" while everybody just wishes Krasnozhon to get better. And even if he did break his ankle as he said himself do we expect massive outcry about greedy coaches making a junior jump all this quads?

I would be happy if the same attitude: celebrating success and wishing the best when injured - applied equally to every skater from every country here. It's not the case and don't try to convince me otherwise - too many examples. And they are all concentrated around Eteri and her skaters even not the Russians in general.

charlotte14

Medalist
Gosh, some people are quite incapable of STAYING ON TOPIC. We are talking about a junior lady doing two quads in Junior Worlds. The senior men have nothing to do with this thread. A little logic would be appreciated. Give Alexandra Trusova her moment.

Trusova is an amazing competitor. She never gave up on those quads! Her determination and athletic ability are very admirable. How I wish she would hold her positions more, but I can't blame her for the choreography. If she is able to keep her jumps (and with her determination, there is a strong possibility, despite her body not going through puberty yet), the current seniors will be hard-pressed to win or even podium. The junior ladies now with her- Alena and the other Russian ladies, the Japanese ladies, the Koreans- they will be a force to be reckoned with in the next few years. The ladies' field looks very promising.
The point is to call out the double standards of some. There are men who have even worse quad attempts than Sasha Trusova but they still get the credits, Why the attack on Sasha? Maybe because she’s a Russian lady she gets all the hate?

Latremu

Final Flight
One person calling her quads underrotated is her "getting all the hate" to you? We need to thicken your skin there! Most of the people here are already saying it's an amazing achievement. Don't be so dramatic.

By the way, I've seen Shoma's name more in the past few pages on this thread than Trusova's. Have some respect for the girl, everyone. She deserves to be celebrated in the thread that's about her. No matter what anyone says, she is the first woman, senior or junior, to land two quads, and two different types at that, in a program, and the first to land a 4T. That's in the books. Every winner and medalist, every jump that has been ratified and recorded as being landed first by a skater- all of these are in the books, and that won't change no matter how many protest and complain.

Latremu

Final Flight
Congratulations to the real -life Rapunzel Alexandra Trusova for winning Junior Worlds and making history by landing two quads!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The point is to call out the double standards of some. There are men who have even worse quad attempts than Sasha Trusova but they still get the credits, Why the attack on Sasha? Maybe because she’s a Russian lady she gets all the hate?

Eteri's girl, I would specify.

BethOnIce

Rinkside
Sasha was fantastic with her quads and congrats to her for rocking the record book! I just hope that she doesn’t fall into the same trap as Miki Ando - desperately trying to repeat her quads even after puberty makes them much more difficult to do. Now that she has done them, so many people will expect her to continue to do them, and hopefully she doesn’t let these jumps take sole focus over her career and neglect improving other aspects of her skating. Time will tell, but at least she will always have this skate as an accomplishment to look back on.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If she stills tiny she has more chances to keep her quads than Miki whom body changed a lot.

charlotte14

Medalist
Sasha was fantastic with her quads and congrats to her for rocking the record book! I just hope that she doesn’t fall into the same trap as Miki Ando - desperately trying to repeat her quads even after puberty makes them much more difficult to do. Now that she has done them, so many people will expect her to continue to do them, and hopefully she doesn’t let these jumps take sole focus over her career and neglect improving other aspects of her skating. Time will tell, but at least she will always have this skate as an accomplishment to look back on.
Sasha seems like a fearless young lady, will she listen to Eteri if Eteri someday decides she doesn’t need to push for quads anymore? That’s a tough question. I hope well for Sasha.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congratulations to the real -life Rapunzel Alexandra Trusova for winning Junior Worlds and making history by landing two quads!

Next program is going to be 'Hair' or the Tangled Soundtrack. :gclap:
That said, I thought she looked adorable and she is a little wonder. No matter if this lasts or not, she should enjoy every moment!

sakurano

Final Flight
WOW this girl is great she made history with two quads I loved her SP so I'm glad she won if it fights puberty it will be unbeatable but for now it should not rush and let her take advantage of this moment.

starla16

Medalist
If she stills tiny she has more chances to keep her quads than Miki whom body changed a lot.

Miki was a voluptuous built, Trusova being coached by Eteri, she will try to stay in thinner form shape to not get injured.

Latremu

Final Flight
Next program is going to be 'Hair' or the Tangled Soundtrack. :gclap:
That said, I thought she looked adorable and she is a little wonder. No matter if this lasts or not, she should enjoy every moment!
I'm all up for that! She was 5 when Tangled came out in 2010, I have no doubt she'd enjoy skating to it, since she was inspired by it. We already have Mai and Bradie skating to Cinderella, let's add Tangled to the figure skating repertoire! [emoji16]