Konstantinova is ISU 13th best skater | Golden Skate

Konstantinova is ISU 13th best skater

kenboy123

On the Ice
I for one, will admit I have no idea how the ISU ranking works, everytime I check them, they make no sense to me (in all disciplines)...

schizoanalyst

Medalist
They assign point values to placements. They take your score as:

Best ISU Championship Finish + 2 Best GP/JGPF/GPF Finishes + 2 Best International Competition Finishes

and then rank you.

The point values are kind of absurd, which is partly why it seems off, but also because her poor finish at Worlds has no impact on her ranking because they take your best finish at an ISU championship (and junior worlds counts).

You get 1200 points for being the Olympic Champion. You get 365 points for coming 4th at the World Junior Championship. You get 800 points for being the GPF champion. You get 203 points for finishing third at a random Junior GP event.

When the points are distributed like that, it's not hard to see why she is ranked so highly.

Well, the World Rankings were never not a joke. See: Yuna Kim being 24th after winning WC2013.

EDIT: And being 51st in the 2011-2012 season, when she didn't even participate. Instead of being unseeded. :clap:

Sportfan

Match Penalty
And what's wrong with that? We had to suffer from skaters like Radionova too long, i prefer Konstantinova over any other current russian skater

Actually, this raises a question for me. Why isn't there an invitational for the WCs instead of the system there currently is? Improve your ranking through the season. The top 40 (singles)/ top 30 (pairs/dance teams) get invited. The ranking at the end of the season determines the GP invitational, so it's not all from the scratch.

No more fan wars about which country should give their spots to whom.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I for one, will admit I have no idea how the ISU ranking works, everytime I check them, they make no sense to me (in all disciplines)...

It made sense to me only during 2013 and 2014 seasons, when Mao was ranked no.1. :laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wr2017-18/wrladies.htm
Stanislava Konstantinova is seriously ISU's 13th best skater in the world this season.
How the hell did that happen? Anyone understands how this ranking works?

PS: Before all the talks about AI replacing tech panels, I wish they could just prove its usefulness first by creating an AI that gives better ranking.

Why is it so incomprehensible? Check out the details in the table!

blackey

On the Ice
ranking doesn't actually mean anything... if you go to more competition (i.e. go to two senior B while most people would only do one or none) you can earn more points.

kenboy123

On the Ice
ranking doesn't actually mean anything... if you go to more competition (i.e. go to two senior B while most people would only do one or none) you can earn more points.

Sounds like any other sport, if you go to more competitions, you get more points...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After 2018 Worlds, Konstantinova is now ranked 22rd with 2170 points.
Here's how she got her points:

365 JW 2018 4th place -no points for 2018 Worlds b/c 19th place is worth only 180 points
295 JW 2017 6th place

203 3rd 2017 JGP Minsk Arena Cup
225 2nd 2016 JGP Cup of Mordovia
182 4th 2016 JGP Pokal d. Blauen Schwerter

600 Won two 2017 Challenger events: Golden Spin and Tallinn Trophy
300 Won one 2016 Challenger event: Tallinn Trophy

Scott512

Record Breaker
I kind of hate seeing her get dumped on all the time. She's young enough where she can improve and get her ranking up legitimately. She has time on her side but a lot of competition to deal with just in her own country.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wr2017-18/wrladies.htm
Stanislava Konstantinova is seriously ISU's 13th best skater in the world this season.
How the hell did that happen? Anyone understands how this ranking works?

PS: Before all the talks about AI replacing tech panels, I wish they could just prove its usefulness first by creating an AI that gives better ranking.

and how is it that Alexandra Avstriyskaya is ranked 25 places higher than Daria when she's never even been to Russian Nationals??
the system needs to get better

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I kind of hate seeing her get dumped on all the time. She's young enough where she can improve and get her ranking up legitimately. She has time on her side but a lot of competition to deal with just in her own country.

This!!

She’s been chosen over one of my absolute favorite skaters several times and I have zero negativity toward her. In fact I enjoy her when she’s on and always hope for the best for her. The RusFed....well....that’s a sort of love hate relationship at times ;)

Scott512

Record Breaker
This!!

She’s been chosen over one of my absolute favorite skaters several times and I have zero negativity toward her. In fact I enjoy her when she’s on and always hope for the best for her. The RusFed....well....that’s a sort of love hate relationship at times ;)

Exactly.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yup. Stanislava got those 2100 plus points with 3 first places in very carefully selected Challenger events (900 points) and the rest with mediocre placements at two JWs (660 points) and 3 JGPs (610 points).

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yup. Stanislava got those 2100 plus points with 3 first places in very carefully selected Challenger events (900 points) and the rest with mediocre placements at two JWs (660 points) and 3 JGPs (610 points).
Very carefully selected? She took whatever was left over after the top Russian skaters had taken theirs early in the season to practice before the GP. Later Challengers have weaker skaters precisely because the top are busy with GP at that time, they don't somehow hand-pick them especially for Konstantinova.