2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 111 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Okay warning here, you may need some kleenex, as this is one of the greatest audience reaction ever captured! Just sayin' ;)

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/979098885732884486

So, Piper (Kaetlyn's bestie) in tears, Scott, Eric, and Chiddy, MT&M, out of their minds, and Kaitlyn Weaver standing on her seat. Even our American cousins, Ashley, Madison & Zack, are sooo excited! I am going to miss this quad so much, from their chemistry, respect for each other as people first, next performers/skaters, and their friendships. Amazing to watch!

Thanks for these memories, guys. Stars On Ice or bust, everyone!

Tears of pride keep rolling down my cheeks
Seeing support and love from the ones who matter
After the horror we have been through here and there

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So many connections/similarities between Jeff B. and Kaetlyn, eh...

- both came from small towns/regions in Canada, not known for producing elite figure skaters
- like Kaetlyn, Jeff was a previous Canadian champion who lost the title the year they became World Champion
- both won an individual bronze at the OG
- both were silver medalists at Worlds
- were thought by some (not me), as not in the running for World Gold
- Jeff competed against KO's Coach, Ravi Walia
- he won his medal at Worlds, 10 years plus a day, before Kaetlyn
- both handled the pressure of competing at Worlds while others faltered
- he designed/choreographed Kaetlyn's last 2 podium winning FS programs
- the two are skater's skaters
- both are very good friends

And both are, Amazing!!!

Ah while both are amazing and I am so happy for Kaetlyn and Jeff's accomplishment there is NO way Jeff competed against kaetlyn's coach. jeff is probably mortified you think he is that old. I think Ravi was competing with Kurt and Elvis.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Speaking of Piper's dress earlier with NoNameFace, the World Championship Best Dressed Awards have just been released and guess which country has picked up 4 more medals!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/03/27/269796532/donovan-world-championships-fashion-awards

My congrats to Kaetlyn, Keegan, MT&M, and Piper & Paul!!! Which goes to show you, and skaterboy if you are reading ;), Vera Wang who? Our Canadian designers killed it!

So Leslie Jones got it right, with...

https://twitter.com/lesdoggg/status/962542225245855745?lang=en

and also...

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/966896791156277248

I don't think the American flag was Vera's. Yay Canadian designers. People should be snapping them up I mean with the Canadian dollar worth so little to the American dollar it would be a bargain. Why pay over $10,000 US when like $1000US will buy you a Canadian original fashion piece.:)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Tears of pride keep rolling down my cheeks
Seeing support and love from the ones who matter
After the horror we have been through here and there

Did anyone officially welcome you back yet?

Sigh, I guess I’ll do the honours.

*sprays you with near frozen water from the garden hose*

Damn, our water bill has been super cheap for the last few months. I wonder why? :rofl:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is this a Canadian thing that I don't get?

Nah, just a SarahSynchro 4everchan thing. ;) When he gets all hot and bothered while watching all the attractive male skaters, I spray him with the garden hose or lock him in a cold shower to bring him back to reality. It’s better for him in the long run. :laugh: :devil:

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Ah while both are amazing and I am so happy for Kaetlyn and Jeff's accomplishment there is NO way Jeff competed against kaetlyn's coach. jeff is probably mortified you think he is that old. I think Ravi was competing with Kurt and Elvis.
Actually, they did compete against each other, from 1999 to 2001.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Actually, they did compete against each other, from 1999 to 2001.

And Ravi did better in all 3 Canadian championships where they met. Then Ravi retired and Geoff's results took off. A coincidence? Hmm.

Skater Boy is correct that Ravi is a contemporary of Elvis, but not right for Kurt. Kurt and Ravi may have overlapped a year or two, like Ravi and Geoff overlapped, but Ravi was mainly skating in "the Elvis years".

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Also.. suspenders. Suspenders are very important to understanding the Sarah/4neverPoje dynamic.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice

Probably explains why Ravi didn't win a Canadian Championship as an athlete. Certainly deserves one for being the head coach of at the least the greatest Canadian ladies' individual figure skater of all time!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Certainly deserves one for being the head coach of at the least the greatest Canadian ladies' individual figure skater of all time!
I’d say that’s still Barbara Ann Scott (though she admittedly got a bit of an advantage that Kaetlyn and other later Canadian skaters didn’t have, namely, coming onto the international competition scene at a time when all of the great figure skating nations of Europe had just been devastated by history’s bloodiest war).

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
I’d say that’s still Barbara Ann Scott (though she admittedly got a bit of an advantage that Kaetlyn and other later Canadian skaters didn’t have, namely, coming onto the international competition scene at a time when all of the great figure skating nations of Europe had just been devastated by history’s bloodiest war).

Yeah, that's kinda a problem. Plus back then you didn't have to throw yourself around so much... and Barbara Ann Scott only did one Olympics not medal in two. No team event responsibilities - silver & gold. No comeback from a devastating set of injuries. Kaetlyn did all of those things, and won an Olympic Bronze AND, AND Gold + Silver at World Championships.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Don't forget guys, Kaetlyn is not done yet. I believe she is just starting to peak.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Hey guys this is still a thread about Canadian skating. If you want to talk about other topics please feel free to start a new thread and bring your posts over. You'll probably get more visibility and discussion as well.

4everchan thanks for gracing us with your presence. It was quite a moment to see the Canadian team so emotional. Us fans may feel whatever way we want about skaters but their fellow skaters know what kind of hell they've been through to reach a certain point in their career. I'm glad skaters don't think of each other the way that many forum posters think about them.

One of the late season competitions in Canada is Ursula Lehming Scarboro Skate, held at Piper & Paul's rink. The entries lists are up and no real surprises except that Iliya Kovler's competing in senior men (just doing an SP).

Entries/Results

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Hey guys this is still a thread about Canadian skating. If you want to talk about other topics please feel free to start a new thread and bring your posts over. You'll probably get more visibility and discussion as well.

4everchan thanks for gracing us with your presence. It was quite a moment to see the Canadian team so emotional. Us fans may feel whatever way we want about skaters but their fellow skaters know what kind of hell they've been through to reach a certain point in their career. I'm glad skaters don't think of each other the way that many forum posters think about them.

One of the late season competitions in Canada is Ursula Lehming Scarboro Skate, held at Piper & Paul's rink. The entries lists are up and no real surprises except that Iliya Kovler's competing in senior men (just doing an SP).

Entries/Results

Do you think it might help to update the title? Maybe so people know to post here about Canadian skaters and not just about what happened at the Olympics?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I wonder if Stephen Gogolev was mortified to compete against Patrick Chan at nationals this past January with their age gap being 14 years. :rolleye: Chiddy: born in December of 1990, Stephen: born in December of 2004.