Deniss Vasiljevs | Page 120 | Golden Skate

Deniss Vasiljevs

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It was a bit rough, but he certainly wasn't worse than some of those other hot messes that were ranked above him! Not the best season, but I'm sure he will weather the storm...his career is still very young!

icetug

Medalist
Deniss needs more confidence - that's what Chris thinks and it's hard not to agree. I'm not sure what happened this season but if it's what I guess there is bright future ahead :).
Anyway, Cup of Tyrol starts on Feb 25 and hope Deniss defends his gold!

DenissVFan

Medalist
Deniss needs more confidence - that's what Chris thinks and it's hard not to agree. I'm not sure what happened this season but if it's what I guess there is bright future ahead :).
Anyway, Cup of Tyrol starts on Feb 25 and hope Deniss defends his gold!

Good to see Chris's post. As Cup of Tyrol is a low pressure competition, I hope Deniss is more confident there.

AgnesR

On the Ice
Good news about the Gala! Luckily there are people who understand what a good athlete and showman Deniss is. :yay:

It was a bit rough, but he certainly wasn't worse than some of those other hot messes that were ranked above him! Not the best season, but I'm sure he will weather the storm...his career is still very young!

You are right!

At first I thought that Deniss dropped to 13th or 14th place, but when I found out that Deniss is the 11th and the difference between the 10th position is only 0.29, I grew mad and was dying to tell the judges that because of them Deniss undeservedly lost a place in top ten! :dev2:

But I'm happy about Javi and especially Mateo who was so artistic. :) Ever since I started watching Deniss, somehow unwillingly I compare others with him, and it sticks out that some even medalists actually skate mainly in straight lines and then jumps are easier to do. But Deniss is swirling on the ice and then the complicated jumps come harder.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Thanks again ,pianomaya65, for the post. ;)

In my opinion, an interesting and Stephane's personality revealing fan meeting in Minsk on Saturday morning. Deniss is also quite often mentioned. Some episodes are pretty funny. I didn't know that our boy has such a changing mood (19.57)! Artists are artists! :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi6zwvDPbqg&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for sharing! The story about the elastic and fixing Deniss's costume was really funny but it also shows how dedicated Stephane is. He should have given some advice to Nathan Chen on how to keep your shirt in your pants :p

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany
On my flight back from Minsk this time also Deniss (among other skaters) was on my plane and he was still holding his plush shark. :luv17: :biggrin:

AgnesR

On the Ice
Deniss' interwiev for ISU.

Deniss Vasiljevs (LAT), 2018 World Championships 6th (On being nervous) Honestly yes, I was very calm in term of quietness but I was very worried the moment I had to commit to it. Especially with the beginning, cause at the beginning, the quad, it’s still not an element I’m doing with closed eyes so I couldn’t so I could not really through myself into it. You know, when you’re at the cliff and you have to jump, the hardest it to jump. That was exactly what I missed and then “Oh, my god, I missed something”. And usually when you fall straight forward, you’re like “Ok, no margin for mistake”. So here as it was not really done but it was still kind of something done, so it was more of a planning that took me off the course. (On what he will take from the Championships)Work more. Work on the quantities of done elements, especially quads because so far I have 80 landed quads in total so expecting that it will happen in competition is pretty high risk. I went for the risk and it didn’t pay off so I hope to get to 200 and that it will be easier. I need to work on all areas (artistic and technique) even if you think I should work more on technique, I should work more on skating to make it easier cause afterwards during practices I have landed all these jumps, not once, not twice, more than that and I have little mistakes in execution but when it comes to the full runthrough, like I have clean run throughs lately but competitions there is more emotions and I think if I could find a way to reduce this energy use and sense of emotion while you perform, it should help me ease preparation and focus on the jumps.

Read more: http://absoluteskating.proboards.com/thread/4392/st-phane-choreographer-coach?page=64#ixzz5dzLvx1U0

It looks like that there is hope for quads! :thumbsup:

Janimi

Spectator
Deniss' interwiev for ISU.

Deniss Vasiljevs (LAT), 2018 World Championships 6th (On being nervous) Honestly yes, I was very calm in term of quietness but I was very worried the moment I had to commit to it. Especially with the beginning, cause at the beginning, the quad, it’s still not an element I’m doing with closed eyes so I couldn’t so I could not really through myself into it. You know, when you’re at the cliff and you have to jump, the hardest it to jump. That was exactly what I missed and then “Oh, my god, I missed something”. And usually when you fall straight forward, you’re like “Ok, no margin for mistake”. So here as it was not really done but it was still kind of something done, so it was more of a planning that took me off the course. (On what he will take from the Championships)Work more. Work on the quantities of done elements, especially quads because so far I have 80 landed quads in total so expecting that it will happen in competition is pretty high risk. I went for the risk and it didn’t pay off so I hope to get to 200 and that it will be easier. I need to work on all areas (artistic and technique) even if you think I should work more on technique, I should work more on skating to make it easier cause afterwards during practices I have landed all these jumps, not once, not twice, more than that and I have little mistakes in execution but when it comes to the full runthrough, like I have clean run throughs lately but competitions there is more emotions and I think if I could find a way to reduce this energy use and sense of emotion while you perform, it should help me ease preparation and focus on the jumps.

Read more: http://absoluteskating.proboards.com/thread/4392/st-phane-choreographer-coach?page=64#ixzz5dzLvx1U0

It looks like that there is hope for quads! :thumbsup:

Video with Deniss :) :https://vk.com/denissvasiljevs_fanpage?z=video-99794427_456239696/pl_wall_-99794427

icetug

Medalist
Quite funny (and quite informative) stories from behind the scenes by NBC Sports:

End of practice routine

A routine has started to build up in Minsk: at the end of each group of practice, a few dozens of fans gather at the very end of the huge covered stadium, at the bottom of the stairs: they are waiting for their preferred skaters to pass by after their practice. A “mixed zone” has been organized for journalists, but it could be called “the selfie zone”!

Charming Italian dancer Marco Fabbri has several followers. Each apparition of Latvia’s Deniss Vasiljevs gathers gasps and whispers. Michal Brezina has clearly a strong fan base as well. But Javier Fernandez is certainly the most popular. In 13 European Championships, he has attracted nearly two generations of followers!
[...]

Chicken?

Vasiljevs’ costumes are quite noticeable. During the short program, he was wearing flashy bright yellow pants with a shining black jacket. One of Vasiljevs’ fans, an English teacher from Minsk who volunteers at the official hotel, tries to come to every outing, practice or competition, of her favorite skater.

Asked how she liked his costume, she quickly answered: “Oh! The chicken pants? That’s how we call it in Russian… At least he can’t remain unnoticed. We know instantaneously where Deniss is!”

But why chicken?

“Because that’s the color of a chick,” she explained.

Vasiljevs stayed focused on his mission in Friday’s morning practice, as he worked on landing his quad extensively. His fans can rest reassured.