Jason Brown | Page 736 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Tavi...

Record Breaker
you mean 2015 4CC actually

I didn’t, actually. :) I know that 2015 4CCs is where he first put it out, but Lombardia was his first competition of 2016-17 after he’d been off with the back injury and missed Nats, remember? He didn’t attempt any quads at that team event in March 2016 whose name escapes me. He put it in the SP in Lombardia and he fell and it was called <<. He fell in FS but it was called fully rotated. So that’s what I was thinking of.

On another note, the caller for this competition must have a thing about flip edges. It’s pretty funny to go through the protocols and see how many flips got ! or e.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I didn’t, actually. :) I know that 2015 4CCs is where he first put it out, but Lombardia was his first competition of 2016-17 after he’d been off with the back injury and missed Nats, remember? He didn’t attempt any quads at that team event in March 2016 whose name escapes me. He put it in the SP in Lombardia and he fell and it was called <<. He fell in FS but it was called fully rotated. So that’s what I was thinking of.

On another note, the caller for this competition must have a thing about flip edges. It’s pretty funny to go through the protocols and see how many flips got ! or e.

I took "first" too literally. Sorry

As for the techie... what in the world... I want to pick their brain.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I took "first" too literally. Sorry

As for the techie... what in the world... I want to pick their brain.

I knew you did, no worries! :)

And yeah, I’d say that overall both the TP and the judges were kind of weird. There were almost no calls on lutzes and quite a few on flips. Calling and judging seems wildly inconsistent between competitions and disciplines this season.

Ross74

Medalist
Congrats to Jason!!! I've been glued to the GPF and JGPF comps this morning and actually forgot this was happening. Shame on me, but Golden Spin just made it too easy to forget about it this year.

Sending Jason good vibes in preparing for Nationals!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well...it was great to wake up and see he took first. :) I’m happy he won, happy he’ll get the WS points, happy he hit on the 3As, happy he put the 4T out there. Hopefully he’s turned the corner with whatever has been affecting him and it will give him confidence going into Nats.

But that is a messy, messy protocol.

ETA @bookseller, so far this season, Jason has skated his best / earned his highest total score at SA competing directly against Nathan. He medaled there. And last season in France, where he also competed directly against Nathan, was a turning point for him - he beat him in the SP, earned a huge SP score, and took silver there.

Jason said in an interview last season that he only competes with other Team USA skaters at Nationals for the chance to get to the competitions he wants to get to. On the international circuit, they are all on the same team. So it probably benefits his outlook when he skates with Nathan. At NHK he was competing with Yuzu and Yuzu is his training team mate, so that is a whole different story. In his mind he is not competing against Nathan in the GPs. It's an interesting way of looking at things. Nathan probably sees it differently. Nathan is out to win....period. Jason needs to go out to win also. I think he did just that in Zagreb. Here's hoping he does it at Nats.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Jason said in an interview last season that he only competes with other Team USA skaters at Nationals for the chance to get to the competitions he wants to get to. On the international circuit, they are all on the same team. So it probably benefits his outlook when he skates with Nathan. At NHK he was competing with Yuzu and Yuzu is his training team mate, so that is a whole different story. In his mind he is not competing against Nathan in the GPs. It's an interesting way of looking at things. Nathan probably sees it differently. Nathan is out to win....period. Jason needs to go out to win also. I think he did just that in Zagreb. Here's hoping he does it at Nats.

Though we can all make guesses, I don’t think we really know what’s in Jason’s mind when he competes internationally. He hasn’t shared much, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it changes from competition to competition.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad we had a chance to see Jason's FS with the new layout. The arena looked so empty, though.

Jason is one of those skaters that definitely feeds off the crowd's energy so maybe that's why he looked a bit lackluster - like a practice run rather than a performance.

I'm glad he was able to win here and hope that gives him some confidence going into Nationals. Would love to see him on the World team!

slider11

Medalist
Glad we had a chance to see Jason's FS with the new layout. The arena looked so empty, though.

Jason is one of those skaters that definitely feeds off the crowd's energy so maybe that's why he looked a bit lackluster - like a practice run rather than a performance.

I'm glad he was able to win here and hope that gives him some confidence going into Nationals. Would love to see him on the World team!

Totally agree! Jason is such a magnificent skater. Nathan will be hard to beat. period. But I would love to see Jason on the podium at Nationals and at 4CC and Worlds.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Massive improvement on the SP! Glad he is going for the quad and not popping it, each step will get him closer to his goal! I hope this is a little confidence boost and he can get some training under his belt and is ready for nats!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Though we can all make guesses, I don’t think we really know what’s in Jason’s mind when he competes internationally. He hasn’t shared much, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it changes from competition to competition.

There is no way to know what he's thinking. I only repeated what he said. I know that Brian and Tracy are working to make him more of a warrior in competition and he is trying. Still the reality is that he and Nathan are the two top performers on the GP circuit for Team USA with Camden number 3. Vince is an unknown at this point. But while Nathan is in position to win World's Jason is still in a good position to go to World's. But I think he has to be on the podium. And he can be if he skates as well as he skated at SKAM or even Golden Spin. I was surprised to see how empty the arena was. I don't recall it being that empty last year. But Jason's fans were certainly there. It's hard to judge that skate from that video, but it certainly was a big improvement from NHK. He can now focus on preparing for Nats. He won't have a time zone change or long flights to contend with and he likes this year's venue. So we'll hope for the best. I really want to see him at World's.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

How did you see it? I thought no livestream?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank heavens for fancams of competitions and practices!

After the live stream last year, the decision not to stream this year‘s performance is still most peculiar. Particularly since this comp, as they did last year, has a full-blown gala, which I don’t think is common for Challengers. I do remember that last year the seats were particularly empty, just like a junior comp. In fact, the seats were more filled for the gala last year because the local skating clubs were performing and their friends and relatives were there.:)

So also thank heavens Jason won, let’s hope this gives him the confidence he needs for Nats.:thumbsup:

But now let me talk about the more important stuff, Jason’s Japanese test.:biggrin: I am making up all sorts of stuff in my mind about Jason wanting to demonstrate Japanese proficiency for possible employment and his post skating career.

Post skating:eek:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. I found out a couple of hours ago that there was a broadcast complete with commentary. It just wasn't shown outside of Croatia. One YTer uploaded a few men FP from the broadcast.

Here's Jason EX from Golden Spin https://youtu.be/F0MBE29xyG8

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thank heavens for fancams of competitions and practices!

After the live stream last year, the decision not to stream this year‘s performance is still most peculiar. Particularly since this comp, as they did last year, has a full-blown gala, which I don’t think is common for Challengers. I do remember that last year the seats were particularly empty, just like a junior comp. In fact, the seats were more filled for the gala last year because the local skating clubs were performing and their friends and relatives were there.:)

So also thank heavens Jason won, let’s hope this gives him the confidence he needs for Nats.:thumbsup:

But now let me talk about the more important stuff, Jason’s Japanese test.:biggrin: I am making up all sorts of stuff in my mind about Jason wanting to demonstrate Japanese proficiency for possible employment and his post skating career.

Post skating:eek:

Well, it’s sad to contemplate the end of his skating career, but it will come eventually and he has to do something post skating. :)

But I do wonder how much time and energy you need to commit to studying for a standardized test that’s only given once a year. Quite a lot, I would think, even if he’s just taking one of the lower level tests. And I would expect it’s stress inducing.

ETA Thanks, RemyRose!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. I found out a couple of hours ago that there was a broadcast complete with commentary. It just wasn't shown outside of Croatia. One YTer uploaded a few men FP from the broadcast.

Here's Jason EX from Golden Spin https://youtu.be/F0MBE29xyG8

She has resumed uploading mens free. She will probably have Jason's. Maybe she has the SP as well. So watch the channel.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks again, RemyRose!

She did indeed upload the FS, and here it is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xVFMpVQyhYA

A little too much talking by the commentators, but it’s nice to see a professional broadcast with close ups. He looked real happy after he finished, a little bit less so when his scores came up, not surprising considering how low it was compared to SA. But those who like to make fun of his behavior in the knc will find little to complain about. :)

Overall I thought he did a good job. It does seem like there is some choreography missing and a few fill in crossovers, but hopefully it’s just temporary until he can work with David on incorporating the new jumps.

I think he should be pretty happy with the quad attempt - maybe a bit timid / not enough height, but not bad!

ETA if he goes to GS next year, I guess we’ll need to see if there’s a television broadcast and if so, try the VPN route. :)

ETA Again to correct link

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you @Remy Rose for alerting us, and @Tavi for posting, good to see the pro camera work.

But dear God do those commentators get paid by the word? They *never* shut up :devil: