Aljona Savchenko considering a comeback | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Aljona Savchenko considering a comeback

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
There have been other pairs skaters who returned to skate competitively and even win OGM - Gordeeva, Rodina come to mind and I think Navka in dance. If she wants to do it that is her choice and business. Ihope she does it for herself if she chooses and that it does not affect or hurt her family. She is an amazing competitor but switching disciplines or partners takes time. There may not be enough. Realistically she migth be able to win German nats but she is not going to be strong enough to beat the Japanese, Americans, Korean or Russian ladies in singles. I was thinking Robin wouldn't mind another crack at gold but I think that time has passed. He has moved on and might be coaching an OGM or medallist.

Aljona and Robin skating together will never happen lol. They are not too fond of each other if I may say it lightly

icybear

Medalist
Interesting considering a while back she accused Sui/Han magnificent free program of copying her olympic fs program.:rofl: Lets hope her comments arent so tacky if she decides to compete against them again.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... if she wants to come back t hat is her decision but I have had enough of her though she is great. she had her moment and the stars aligned up for her. I am fine with her not competing. .

(whispering) I feel exactly the same about Yuzuru (Shh .... don't tell anyone!:rofl:)

As for Eric Radford, I'm pretty sure I recall that he was ready to retire from competing at least a year or two before 2018. He continued for love of Meagan Duhamel, and respect and commitment.

Aljona found magic with Bruno, period. I agree with the consensus that he'd be extremely reluctant to compete again. He's said that competing is stressful for him ... and that's on top of his back troubles, happiness in being a coach, and happiness in his personal life. Aljona OTOH loves competing and doesn't find it stressful,

I think the best formula for someone who can really compete with Sui and Han at this point is for a pair who has technical chops to develop consistency; and most importantly, to take to heart and emulate what Cong Han said recently about their ambition now: to bring heart and soul, and real emotion to their skating.

That's the previously missing ingredient that I feel Bruno Massot was able to bring with Aljona ... with the magical coaching team of Konig/Ballester.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
she had her moment and the stars aligned up for her. I am fine with her not competing. I would love to see the Americans and Canadians develop.

This is sort of how I feel. I enjoyed their Olympic LP and am glad she achieved her dream that she worked so hard for over the years. But I don't think that they would bring anything that's missing to the pairs event, either.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Maybe she would consider "a Big China" Zhan Hao as her new partner? :biggrin:

Great idea, Gordana - I would love to see that - they are awesome - both competed at five Olympic Games each, and with a combined age of 73.

Also, if Eric Radford wants to return, I'd love to see that pairing - he's one of the most beautiful male pairs skaters.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Interesting considering a while back she accused Sui/Han magnificent free program of copying her olympic fs program.:rofl: Lets hope her comments arent so tacky if she decides to compete against them again.

This. She and her bad sportsmanship can stay in retirement forever tbh.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Aljona and Robin skating together will never happen lol. They are not too fond of each other if I may say it lightly

Oh no, that's the impressin I got when they ended t heir partnership. Some of his comments led me to believe al might not be so rosy.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why can't some people just ride off into the sunset gracefully? She had the perfect ending to a hall of fame career with a Olympic gold medal and then winning Worlds so why come back you have nothing more to prove.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
Oh no, that's the impressin I got when they ended t heir partnership. Some of his comments led me to believe al might not be so rosy.

Yeah, Robin talked about some of the issues they had during some of the German Aljona documentaries. For him their partnership was not always a good experience nor how it ended for him.

Momtoiceprincess

Rinkside
Yeah, Robin talked about some of the issues they had during some of the German Aljona documentaries. For him their partnership was not always a good experience nor how it ended for him.

What was wrong between them? What did he say?
Must be something in the water in Germany... the great 90s pair woetzul & steur didn't see eye to eye much either

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ā›øļø
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What was wrong between them? What did he say?
Must be something in the water in Germany... the great 90s pair woetzul & steur didn't see eye to eye much either

There are some things that aren't going to be spelled out. This isn't the National Enquirer, speculation is looked down upon in forum rules.

macy

Record Breaker
Why can't some people just ride off into the sunset gracefully? She had the perfect ending to a hall of fame career with a Olympic gold medal and then winning Worlds so why come back you have nothing more to prove.

why does it matter? she obviously loves the sport and has done it so long for that sole reason. why is it required of an athlete to "prove" something in order to keep competing? this could be said about quite a few athletes and i don't hear anyone saying this about Alina currently.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I say if she wants to come back more power to her. Her life, her career, her business.

I'm not terribly excited by it but I think it could add more attention to pairs and pairs desperately needs more positive attention.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
She had the perfect ending to a hall of fame career with a Olympic gold medal and then winning Worlds so why come back you have nothing more to prove.

Just because she madly loves skating and competing and Germany has a lack of medals. ;)

eaglehelang

Final Flight
why does it matter? she obviously loves the sport and has done it so long for that sole reason. why is it required of an athlete to "prove" something in order to keep competing? this could be said about quite a few athletes and i don't hear anyone saying this about Alina currently.

If you're referring to Alina Zagitova, she's only 17 and has been to a grand total of 1 Olympics. Huge difference.
Savchenko's been to 4 Olympics, is 6 time World Champion and.....35 years old this year.

Wasnt there criticism of Plushenko(at age 32) when he came out of retirement for Sochi OG in 2014? Esp when he withdrew just before the men's SP.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What would be the point? How many Olympics has she been to already? I know some will say, it's her decision or her love of the sport or competing, but it is unlikely that her skills are still at top form. Age catches up with everyone. Does she really want to compete for something other than a gold medal?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Is Aliona intending to compete at the next Olympics though? She's 35 now which isn't out-of-commission old to be competitive (Deanna Stellato is 36).

And if she's going to the Olympics it's clearly to just compete in pairs and medal in the individual instead of showing up simply to snag an easy team medal, which Russia/Canada/USA has enjoyed the past few years.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Is Aliona intending to compete at the next Olympics though? She's 35 now which isn't out-of-commission old to be competitive (Deanna Stellato is 36).

And if she's going to the Olympics it's clearly to just compete in pairs and medal in the individual instead of showing up simply to snag an easy team medal, which Russia/Canada/USA has enjoyed the past few years.

I think it would be terribly difficult for the German team to 'snag an easy team medal', while I also think it wasn't that easy for any of the teams who captured such a medal. True a bad skate by one of the team members can be compensated for to a certain extent, but it's not as if the team event is 'easy sailing' for the participants. Having said that, I agree that Aljona would probably go for the individual (in this case couple) event in pairs.

pesto

On the Ice
If Aljona, at her age, and this point in the quad cycle, can come back, and can convince a suitable partner to come back with her, and if they can reach the next Olympics in form to compete for medals, either individually or as part of a team, I will be cheering her on.

But I consider it extremely unlikely that she can.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it would be terribly difficult for the German team to 'snag an easy team medal', while I also think it wasn't that easy for any of the teams who captured such a medal. True a bad skate by one of the team members can be compensated for to a certain extent, but it's not as if the team event is 'easy sailing' for the participants. Having said that, I agree that Aljona would probably go for the individual (in this case couple) event in pairs.

I agree... that's what I meant - she would be making a comeback at the Olympics to not just get an easy medal (since Germany has no chance). Any Russian/Canadian/US skater though could come out of retirement and pretty much have an easy street to a medal in the team event no matter how well or poorly they skate.