Alena Kostornaia | Page 192 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Scott512

Record Breaker
Eteri's team are all unfailingly professional. .. part of their training I guess
it has to be because these young ladies are impeccable even the ones that don't make it big are impeccable off the ice.

Was Liza actually bullying Alёna? Why? And how do you know?
I don't recall any outward bullying but I think she may have been dismissive of Aliona and her very high scores. But someone with more knowledge on situation could clarify that.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Was Liza actually bullying Alёna? Why? And how do you know?

If the posters are referring to the same thing that I am, then the rumored bullying occurred at Aliona’s challenger event. During the award ceremony the video shows that Liza slightly bumped Aliona to the side and ignored her during a conversation. So, Aliona stood by Daniil or by herself while she was waiting for the awards. Whether Liza actually verbally bullied Aliona I believe is still unknown. This is all interpretative because it’s not like Liza was verbally bullying Aliona and Aliona wasn’t crying (at least in front of the camera). To me the video did look like she was ignoring Aliona and slightly bullying her, but others on the forum didn’t believe so. There isn’t much evidence so, in my opinion it can go either way.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I’m pretty sure if anything happened at Finlandia (which we don’t know for sure), it’s all fine now. We saw them sitting next to each other and in little videos interacting and there seemed to be no bad blood between them at all. They are probably not best friends due to the age difference but there didn’t seem to be any issues between them from the show. Aliona seemed to be communicating just fine with all of the older skaters in the show.

Batsuchan

Medalist
If the posters are referring to the same thing that I am, then the rumored bullying occurred at Aliona’s challenger event. During the award ceremony the video shows that Liza slightly bumped Aliona to the side and ignored her during a conversation. So, Aliona stood by Daniil or by herself while she was waiting for the awards. Whether Liza actually verbally bullied Aliona I believe is still unknown. This is all interpretative because it’s not like Liza was verbally bullying Aliona and Aliona wasn’t crying (at least in front of the camera). To me the video did look like she was ignoring Aliona and slightly bullying her, but others on the forum didn’t believe so. There isn’t much evidence so, in my opinion it can go either way.

For what it's worth, I don't think Liza was bullying Aliona at all at the Finlandia medal ceremony... Sure, as an Aliona fan, I was sad to see Aliona standing all by herself while the others were talking and joking around, and yes, perhaps Liza and Betina/Sergey could have tried to include her in the conversation, but it's not really their job to hang out with the younger skaters, in my opinion. And while Aliona may have been a bit miffed at the time, my guess is that she understood that Liza would rather joke around with her good friends than with some "kid" that she barely knows. :yes: Which is why there were no hard feelings, and we can get cute photos like this one (scroll right to the second pic):
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6_VsV6pm3t/ :love:

And I stand by what I said earlier--my guess is that Aliona and Liza would actually get along quite well despite the age difference because they're both outgoing, sunny people who like to joke around. :biggrin:

Orlov

Medalist
I’m pretty sure if anything happened at Finlandia (which we don’t know for sure), it’s all fine now. We saw them sitting next to each other and in little videos interacting and there seemed to be no bad blood between them at all. They are probably not best friends due to the age difference but there didn’t seem to be any issues between them from the show. Aliona seemed to be communicating just fine with all of the older skaters in the show.

Well, the problem never was in Alyona.
And Liza received a pretty big negative reaction from Alyona's fans for her behavior towards Alyona in Finland. She even justified herself in the instagram "I pushed Alyona? How do you imagine that? bla-bla-bla", but the famous video speaks for itself. So Liza decided to be professional for a change. As they say - better late than never. The main thing was that she made the right conclusions - in business, fundamentally tied to emotional perception and image, you need to behave professionally and decently at any second. At least in public.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Well, the problem never was in Alyona.
And Liza received a pretty big negative reaction from Alyona's fans for her behavior towards Alyona in Finland. She even justified herself in the instagram "I pushed Alyona? How do you imagine that? bla-bla-bla", but the famous video speaks for itself. So Liza decided to be professional for a change. As they say - better late than never. The main thing was that she made the right conclusions - in business, fundamentally tied to emotional perception and image, you need to behave professionally and decently at any second. At least in public.

Oh yes, I didn’t mean to imply the problem was Aliona!

Either way, I would like to give Liza the benefit of the doubt for her behavior - I wasn’t there so I can’t know what happened. Recently Aliona has been receiving some “backlash” for her behavior as well, when in reality she’s just a self confident, outgoing little jokester which is a bit different than how she physically appears (angelic) or how people expect her to act (which isn’t fair). IMO I agree with you Batsuchan - her personality is probably pretty similar to Liza who also seems to have a good sense of humor and is confident in who she is. I would imagine them being friendly if they were closer in age and not direct competitors. But based on all the pictures and videos there seem to be no issues between Aliona and any of the other skaters. I even saw a little clip of her talking to Sasha Stepanova and of course there’s the amazingly hilarious video of Javi scaring her. So all is well and I hope she had fun at her first big show on her own without any of her training mates who have all been around at her other shows (Alina, Anna or Sasha).

Orlov

Medalist
Personally I wouldn't consider the aforementioned Finlandia situation bullying. To me, bullying suggests intentional physical or verbal harrassment, and I don't see what happened as that.

Demonstrative ignoring, ostentatious disrespect - in these things, too, little pleasant. Justification of Lisa's behavior by the fact that "well, she didn't beat Alena" doesn't look convincing.

I also don't think that it's her responsibility to pal around with other skaters. I believe Betina and Liza are very close, and even with the best of intentions, it can be difficult to make a third person feel included within such a close friendship.

They are so close, that they had come up with a new format for skating in a circle of honor - holding hands with the three of them, and for another ten seconds they tried to convince Madison and Evan to support this format. Those looked with bewilderment at this clowning and then just waved Alena, showing her to go between them and this merry trio.

They are so close that when Alyona comes up to them, Liza feels that quietly push her away or defiantly turning her back on her - it's just her duty to their wonderful friendship with Betina.

Azikin

Medalist
Demonstrative ignoring, ostentatious disrespect - in these things, too, little pleasant. Justification of Lisa's behavior by the fact that "well, she didn't beat Alena" doesn't look convincing.
Yes, maybe "bullying" may sound like a strong word to someone but no other word comes to my mind if I were to describe Liza's behaviour. I totally lost all my sympathy for her. I can understand her frustration but this was simply inexcusable.

On a happier note, this is short video made my day.. :devil:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6_J5vKowK9/

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Speaking of joking around, apparently our little devil has some kind of naughty/inappropriate screensaver on her phone?? :confused: :laugh:
https://twitter.com/luxurioussv/status/1213530076563877893

I have no idea what this says (GoogleTranslate is no help)--maybe one of our Russian speakers can explain?
Apparently there are swear words..?

LOL, Aliona being Aliona, of course! :laugh:

I’m not totally sure on the direct translation, but it’s a fairly common motivational phrase that is somewhere along the lines of “do it c*nt, it’ll work out.”

Omg. 😂

Batsuchan

Medalist
I’m not totally sure on the direct translation, but it’s a fairly common motivational phrase that is somewhere along the lines of “do it c*nt, it’ll work out.”

Omg. ��

:rofl:

Thank you for the explanation!

Oh, Aliona... :biggrin: This is probably part of the reason why some people want to criticize Aliona's character, but personally, I absolutely adore Aliona's naughty/devilish/mischievous side! :agree: :love:

SkateSkates

Medalist
Angel in flight! :luv17: :luv17:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6_uY6GJ83-/

And this may have been posted it already, but I'm posting it again because it's SOOOOO CUTE!! :love: :love: :love:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6_tNJdJEfb/

I'm so happy Aliona got to participate in the Bolzano gala, because we've gotten so many great pics and videos! :yes2:

I know! I was so worried we weren’t going to have a stream but then they broadcast a really high quality video the next day (in addition to the fan cams from the day of)

Hoping she’s able to actually rest a bit before getting back to training for Euros!

Speaking of Euros, the schedule is very strange. The ladies don’t compete until Friday but the only official practices on the main rink are way earlier in the week. I wonder when Aliona and team will arrive in Graz...it would be a bit risky to arrive the day before and never get a chance to practice on the main rink, but also arriving too far in advance could throw off their usual training and competition routine. I guess we will find out in just a couple of weeks!

Orlov

Medalist

Omg. ��

This is a completely wrong translation.

It is very difficult to translate Russian mat (it is much more complex and multifaceted than English filthy language), but I will try(replacing the f-word by "freaking" and "crappy"). In addition, it is a concise, aphoristic phrase that can be interpreted in two ways. Therefore, I will give my interpretation (although I think the majority and Alyona herself will give just such an interpretation)

Do [things/work/whatever]
Freaking
Great

cuz in a crappy way [or with crappy quality] it will work itself out [without your actions]

I agree, this is really Alyona's credo in accordance with which she lives. :laugh:

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
This is a completely wrong translation.

It is very difficult to translate Russian mat (it is much more complex and multifaceted than English filthy language), but I will try(replacing the f-word by "freaking" and "crappy"). In addition, it is a concise, aphoristic phrase that can be interpreted in two ways. Therefore, I will give my interpretation (although I think the majority and Alyona herself will give just such an interpretation)

Do [things/work/whatever]
Freaking
Great

cuz in a crappy way [or with crappy quality] it will work itself out [without your actions]

I agree, this is really Alyona's credo in accordance with which she lives. :laugh:

I found the translation I used in a few places, not just via a translate tool. I’m not great with Russian idioms, but your translation seems somewhat confusing.

“Do great, do crap, it’ll work out?”

I don’t think perfectionist Aliona would have something that says “do crap it’ll work out” on her phone, unless I’m missing something here.

The closest meaning I found for the first phrase was just “do f*cking good” as opposed to “do good c*nt”

The “crap” here seems to be somewhat of a mistranslation of the first half of the phrase, as I found it used interchangeably with “c*nt”, so perhaps it should read

“Do f*cking good, it’ll work out”

Orlov

Medalist
I found the translation I used in a few places, not just via a translate tool. I’m not great with Russian idioms, but your translation seems somewhat confusing.

“Do great, do crap, it’ll work out?”

I don’t think perfectionist Aliona would have something that says “do crap it’ll work out” on her phone, unless I’m missing something here.

The closest meaning I found for the first phrase was just “do f*cking good” as opposed to “do good c*nt”

The “crap” here seems to be somewhat of a mistranslation of the first half of the phrase, as I found it used interchangeably with “c*nt”, so perhaps it should read

“Do f*cking good, it’ll work out”

sigh...

It says this: "You must do things very well. That's the only way it makes sense. Because in bad quality, things will turn out by themselves, without your actions."

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
sigh...

It says this: "You must do things very well. That's the only way it makes sense. Because in bad quality, things will turn out by themselves, without your actions."

I was only seeking to find a short and concise phrase in English to match the short and concise phrase in Russian, which portrayed the meaning as closely as I could.

Regardless, the overall intention seems to have been translated, and I think it is hilarious that a 16 year old girl has such messaging on her phone. In the US it would be considered bad imaging to have more untoward messaging in public but I love it!

On another note- idk if this has already been posted but here is smol Aliona trying to tiptoe into a photo

https://www.instagram.com/p/B68kicZpnOA/?igshid=1c7aoujibyumv

madmax

Rinkside
:rofl:

Thank you for the explanation!

Oh, Aliona... :biggrin: This is probably part of the reason why some people want to criticize Aliona's character, but personally, I absolutely adore Aliona's naughty/devilish/mischievous side! :agree: :love:

And this is just one of a thousand reasons why I think she's the best thing that’s happened in the last fifty years in the world of figure skating. :laugh:

I only wish that she will stay healthy and that she may delight us for many years again :pray: