2021 Worlds are still on | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds are still on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
Norway
So the mutation is taking over the nordic countries now. Numbers are rising in Norway, Finland, Denmark and Sweden. Finland is closing down the country again, Denmark are opening a little up well knowing the numbers are increasing. In Sweden they are considering more restrictions from March 1.

Here in Norway we have opened a little up but the numbers are rising again and mutations is everywhere. Most of the British, several of the South-African strain and they even found a multivariant witg the British, South African and Brazilian strain in the same sample:slink: Oslo is a virus hot spot now and they allow people to travel all around in Norway now in the current winter break, and there are already break outs because of this :bang: I suspect a new lockdown like the one we had last spring, in just a few weeks times.

It´s very difficult because a lot of people are now suffering from the restrictions itself, but flatten the curve is still very important.

And the British mutation seems to attack the younger ones harder and the latter are far from being vaccinated.

Vaccine seems to be working good though, only problem is most nordic countries wont be fully vaccinated before early autumn maybe. Maybe July.

So for those of you who think this is over, not nearby. We have som critical weeks ahead of us. Worst will be done by summer I think, but next 3 months are looking bleak. It still looks though as Worlds will go ahead. I´m afraid it won´t be risk free, so I hope the skaters and coaches are well aware of the risk.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Of course skaters would prefer to skate.
"Oh won't somebody please think of the skaters?!" is such a hilarious argument to me lol. Such a bourgeois thing to be worrying over, as if it matters it's all their lives have been about before the pandemic happened, or as if it should take precedence over public health. It's just sad if that's all they were doing before this in fact. Hopefully, it's opened their eyes to the many possibilities of what they can do outside of skating, and they start pursuing those, and they can see it's not some infallible career path, it will always be subject to things like this. They chose to do this, and they can simply choose to do something else with their lives, some petition won't suddenly prevent them from doing that. This isn't some random high school in a worthless American sitcom, so the world doesn't slow down and stop and change its rules for athletes, thank goodness.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There's also the other side of making rules - are they actually enforcing it?
No.
I'm sure I read a document from the ISU that laid out the rules for how a figure skating event was to be conducted during the pandemic and still be considered an ISU-certified event.

So basically the ISU could have responded by declaring that Rostelecom Cup was not ISU-certified competition because it breached their guidelines. Although I suppose it wouldn't mean much, but it would at least have indicated that the ISU takes Corona safety seriously.
Precisely. They were handed a cut-and-dried, straightforward, flagrant breach of the regulations on a silver bloody platter...

...and they did absolutely nothing about it. Doubtless because they didn't want to upset Russia. Which means, likelihood of the Russians being punished when (and it's not an if, it's a when) they breach regulations at Worlds? Slim to none.
Forgive my ignorance but, why can't Worlds be done the same that US Nationals were? They were certainly different but, I still found them enjoyable all things considered.
US Nationals were able to be held the way they were because the arena was attached to the hotel.
Wow, daily diary. I'd like to see actual verification/enforcement on this.

Same as above, regarding verification/enforcement. Seems like they are operating on good faith, and count on people to be truthful when filling out their daily health questionnaire. Those symptoms, even after a negative PCR test prior to departure, will actually prevent them from attending Worlds.
Operating on good faith has been proven, all around the world, not to work.
Basically what we expected, although with the daily health questionnaire, it has to be taken to gain entry, and after that you get a temperature check, so there's some insurance there. A lot of it is based on the skaters reporting symptoms and recording where they went for contact tracing. It is a closed bubble with masks required, one-way walkways, virtual meetings, etc. Unfortunately, most of the responsibility for stopping COVID will fall on the skaters and their teammates. If everyone is honest, this event should go off without a hitch.
That's a big damn "if" given what we've seen in the last year.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Both Sweden and the ISU have are responsible for health regulations at Worlds. Sweden's policies must be adhered to, but nothing prevents the ISU from having stricter policies. As an example, in our province patients must wear a mask at a dental office until they are in the chair, treatment rooms must be closed off from each other and from waiting rooms, certain health screening questions must be answered. But dentists are free to do additional health checks. My dentist also takes temperatures and measures O2 saturation. It's really fun filling out your health form with a splint-like thing on one finger and an employee aiming a temperature "gun" at your forehead. But my eye doctor doesn't do either of those tests, and I don't think they are required by the government.

Basically Sweden and the ISU have different mandates for events: Sweden wants to make sure the visiting athletes, coaches, judges, etc. don't infect any Swedish residents, and the organizers want to make sure the event participants don't infect each other.

And when the event participants return home, their home government has test and quarantine requirements that they impose to ensure that they don't bring anything unwelcome into their home country.

Gabby30

On the Ice
Both Sweden and the ISU have are responsible for health regulations at Worlds. Sweden's policies must be adhered to, but nothing prevents the ISU from having stricter policies. As an example, in our province patients must wear a mask at a dental office until they are in the chair, treatment rooms must be closed off from each other and from waiting rooms, certain health screening questions must be answered. But dentists are free to do additional health checks. My dentist also takes temperatures and measures O2 saturation. It's really fun filling out your health form with a splint-like thing on one finger and an employee aiming a temperature "gun" at your forehead. But my eye doctor doesn't do either of those tests, and I don't think they are required by the government.

Basically Sweden and the ISU have different mandates for events: Sweden wants to make sure the visiting athletes, coaches, judges, etc. don't infect any Swedish residents, and the organizers want to make sure the event participants don't infect each other.

And when the event participants return home, their home government has test and quarantine requirements that they impose to ensure that they don't bring anything unwelcome into their home country.
But the athletes themselves are responsible to follow the regulations :shrug:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've just been watching the Challenge Cup with some Russian entrees as well as one Georgian with a Russian coach and as far as I could see, they were very much sticking to the protocols. Wearing their masks properly for example. I don't see why they wouldn't do so at Worlds even if on home ground the requirements are less strictly enforced.

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I've just been watching the Challenge Cup with some Russian entrees as well as one Georgian with a Russian coach and as far as I could see, they were very much sticking to the protocols. Wearing their masks properly for example. I don't see why they wouldn't do so at Worlds even if on home ground the requirements are less strictly enforced.
I'm very glad to hear it. I viewed the Challenge Cup as a test run - if Mikhail Kolyada wears a mask at an international competition properly, hopefully the younger skaters will follow suit at Worlds. The mask-wearing is abysmal at the Russian Final right now, but at least the Russian skaters are following the proper protocols internationally.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
There's things they would do at their own house, but wouldn't at someone else's house.

It's not a good look, but their home arena doesn't appear to require mask. Though I personally prefer they just drop the pretense, like wear it correctly or don't bother. All this constantly putting it on and taking it off is so pointless - talking about the coaches.

That said, the Worlds bubble does require mask. You think they will take the chance of being removed from an Olympic qualifier event?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wholeheartedly agree about ISU, fortunately it will be up to the organisers (Skate Sweden) to enforce it, and even, in case of a major breach, Sweden State. Much more dependable.
Sorry, then, let me rephrase.

You seriously think tiny little Skate Sweden will have the guts and/or power to remove the large and powerful RuFed from the Olympic qualifier?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sorry, then, let me rephrase.

You seriously think tiny little Skate Sweden will have the guts and/or power to remove the large and powerful RuFed from the Olympic qualifier?
Notwithstanding RusFed's power, the local organizers are answerable to the Swedish government if they don't enforce the rules; it's not something they can just ignore happening.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
As I stated earlier: why wouldn't the Russian skaters, coaches and the whole team conform with the local rules in place? The Dutch skating Federation isn't bigger or more powerful than the Swedish one (in Speed Skating maybe, but definitely not in Figure Skating), and the Russians complied with the rules in place that were required at The Challenge Cup. That they might not do that at home, or perhaps the requirements are less strict at home, doesn't make me feel worried about their behaviour at an international event like Worlds at all. They will comply, if it's demanded of them. Just like everyone else. If only to maintain their spots (and they are bound to protect and perhaps extend (with the men) those). And if they don't, well there's enforcement for you. And I see no reason to think the Swedish will live and let live anyone who doesn't comply. Powerful federation or not.

Another argument is that the Russian delegation complied with the rules and protocols at the Long Track Speed Skating Championships (I've heard nothing to the contrary, and I'm sure I would have if it had happened) which due to the character of the sport are slightly different, but that's not the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.