Laura Barquero tests positive for banned substance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Laura Barquero tests positive for banned substance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
She had the banned substance in her body, so the burden of proof is on her. If she can establish proof that it was a cosmetic before Worlds, she can go to Worlds, and no one will call her a cheater.

Barquero tested positive for a *metabolite* of a banned substance.
Whether the banned substance itself was present in Barquero's body is a separate question.

In the case of Calalang, it eventually was shown that it is necessary to distinguish whether a metabolite (4-CPA) is from an innocent source (cosmetic ingredient chlorphenesin) or from a banned substance (meclofenoxate).

I hope :pray: that an innocent explanation will come to light for why Barquero tested positive for the metabolite of clostebol.

FWIW, "Clostebol-Positive Urine after Consumption of Contaminated Meat" is the title of a 1992 paper from the scientific literature. I have no idea whether it could be pertinent in Barquero's case, but again, FWIW:

Abstract​
We examined the relationship between the consumption of meat from animals treated with anabolic steroids and the detection of these steroids in the athletes consuming this meat. We proved that clostebol metabolites (e.g., 4-chloro-delta-4-androstene-3 alpha-ol-17-one) in the urine of one of the volunteers involved in a feeding experiment were due to accidental consumption of meat contaminated with clostebol acetate. When two volunteers consumed meat (100 g) containing either 1 or 0.1 mg of clostebol acetate, the same metabolite was found in their urine.​

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
It was Clostebol what There Johaug's lipstick contained.
To be clear, in Therese Johaug's case, the Clostebol turned up in a cream she used for sunburn when she was training in Italy -- although I believe the sunburn was indeed on her lips. :) Her doctor recommended the cream; he bought 2 products and when the first one didn't work, she tried the second one (Trofodermin), which contained the Clostebol.

For the above information, I'll look for the article where I read it and post a link.

edit: and here it is...
Johaug Tests Positive for Anabolic Steroid After Using Sunburn Cream Recommended by Team Doctor – FasterSkier.com

bluemonday

Rinkside
Now, ISU is on the test. If the results of Barquero and Valieva's participation in the World Figure Skating Championships next month are different, then it is the day to reveal to the world that this sport has been messed up by Russia.

Ziotic

Medalist
It’s not the ISU though, it will apparently be their own federations WADA affiliate that will determine if and how long a suspension should be.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So of course, she will still be allowed to skate at Worlds, correct? That is the precedent that has been set in the Valieva case.
No, because she is not under the age of 16 and thus in the Protected Athlete class, and WADA actually did their jobs correctly and wrote the rules properly for athletes over the age of 16.

Fascinating to see how different the reaction here is to this positive test. I wonder what the difference could be.

Amei

Record Breaker
No, because she is not under the age of 16 and thus in the Protected Athlete class, and WADA actually did their jobs correctly and wrote the rules properly for athletes over the age of 16.

Fascinating to see how different the reaction here is to this positive test. I wonder what the difference could be.

Doing their job correctly would have meant not putting an age qualifier that doesn't line up with the minimum age for participation in the sport involved.

The ISU is got to be ringing their hands figuring out how to get these situations resolved or bribing Russia to not send Valieva to Worlds if both situations aren't resolved in time. Because I can see media outlets salivating at the headlines if the 'protected' athlete is allowed to go but Barquero is not.

Remember Sprinter Marion Jones??? She was a huge star until she was caught using a banned substance. She was stripped of her titles and banned for life from the sport that made her famous. She's from the US as well.
Perhaps it is relevant that her coach (and husband) was also suspended from the Olympoic games over Jones' systematic doping. Jones later served six months in prison for lying to federal authorities when they investigated her drug suppliers (BALCO). Much earlier, In high school in California Jones was an all-everything athlete, but was suspended from competion for steroid use.

Off topic, but, Jones' family was from Belize, where Michelle Kwan has recently been nominated for the post of U.S. ambassador.

Another sad case was that of Florence Joyner. A track superstar and (gorgeous) media celebrity, she was always suspected of doping with steroids or human growth hormones. She suddenly, all in a year, bulked up and miraculously cut a half second off her times in the 100 meters. Nothing was ever proven, though, and she passed all the tests that were available at the time.

She died in 1998 at age 38. The cause of death was officially epileptic seizure, but it was widely believed that extensive steroid use was a contributing factor.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Perhaps it is relevant that her coach (and husband) was also suspended from the Olympoic games over Jones' systematic doping. Jones later served six months in prison for lying to federal authorities when they investigated her drug suppliers (BALCO). Much earlier, In high school in California Jones was an all-everything athlete, but was suspended from competion for steroid use.

Off topic, but, Jones' family was from Belize, where Michelle Kwan has recently been nominated for the post of U.S. ambassador.

Another sad case was that of Florence Joyner. A track superstar and (gorgeous) media celebrity, she was always suspected of doping with steroids or human growth hormones. She suddenly, all in a year, bulked up and miraculously cut a half second off her times in the 100 meters. Nothing was ever proven, though, and she passed all the tests that were available at the time.

She died in 1998 at age 38. The cause of death was officially epileptic seizure, but it was widely believed that extensive steroid use was a contributing factor.
like they say : magic always has a price

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Doing their job correctly would have meant not putting an age qualifier that doesn't line up with the minimum age for participation in the sport involved.
The sport involved?

You are aware that WADA looks after anti-doping for every sport in the world?

They don't have a separate set of rules for every sport that they look after. What they do have is a separate set of rules for athletes under the age of 16, which is the age limit for a number of other sports that they look after, and what they do have currently is a loophole that does not require an athlete in that Protected class to be provisionally suspended awaiting the outcome of investigation. However, there is no such loophole for athletes over 16.

bsfan

On the Ice
Good news is that she can just say she accidentally used a lip balm with it on it.

Reminder Valieva did not have positive results during Olympics.

Also, this is an anabolic steroid which was used in DDR systematically, a bit different from something that's not been proven to give any advantage.

Historically, sanctions have been on a different level as well.
I guess the previous post knew what you have said but just wanted to mess up with valieva case. Valieva has been cyber bullied because she is so good that she blocked someone’s way, while this skater is not a threat to most people

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Clostebol is widely used in medications. So accidential use is not unlikely (I read one case where the guy blamed it on sexual intercourse...). But that's also why it's interesting for cheaters, because accidential use is often believable. But it's an anabolic steroid, so the punishment is going to be harsh in any case. Harsher than that of any heart medication, no matter the age of the athlete.

Regarding Johaug ... you only have to read this article to understand, why I don't believe her explanation.