ISU figure skating streams might be switched to pay-per-view platform | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU figure skating streams might be switched to pay-per-view platform

pearly

Record Breaker
I think Worlds and WTT may still be available on Youtube. Here's a link to the ISU trying to explain Recast: https://isu.org/media-centre/libraries/iceskatingchannel

As part of the new agreement, the following Junior events and Championships will be made available exclusively on The Ice Skating Channel:

ISU Junior World Cup Speed Skating - Nov 26 - Nov 27, 2022 Seinäjoki /FIN
ISU Junior World Cup Speed Skating Dec 03 - Dec 04, 2022 Seinäjoki /FIN
ISU World Junior Short Track Speed Skating Championships - Jan 27 - Jan 29, 2023 Dresden /GER 
ISU Junior World Cup Speed Skating - Feb 04 - Feb 05, 2023 Inzell /GER
ISU World Junior Speed Skating Championships - Feb 10 - Feb 12, 2023 Inzell /GER
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships - Mar 10 - Mar 11, 2023 Angers /FRA 

Which ISU Events are going to be live streamed on Recast?
Currently Junior Events will be available on Recast. In the future other Events could be added.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't mind paying for this service as long as I can depend on it. No frozen screens, or buffer problems. It is totally worth it if everything goes well.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Worlds and WTT may still be available on Youtube. Here's a link to the ISU trying to explain Recast: https://isu.org/media-centre/libraries/iceskatingchannel

As part of the new agreement, the following Junior events and Championships will be made available exclusively on The Ice Skating Channel:

ISU Junior World Cup Speed Skating - Nov 26 - Nov 27, 2022 Seinäjoki /FIN
ISU Junior World Cup Speed Skating Dec 03 - Dec 04, 2022 Seinäjoki /FIN
ISU World Junior Short Track Speed Skating Championships - Jan 27 - Jan 29, 2023 Dresden /GER 
ISU Junior World Cup Speed Skating - Feb 04 - Feb 05, 2023 Inzell /GER
ISU World Junior Speed Skating Championships - Feb 10 - Feb 12, 2023 Inzell /GER
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships - Mar 10 - Mar 11, 2023 Angers /FRA 

Which ISU Events are going to be live streamed on Recast?
Currently Junior Events will be available on Recast. In the future other Events could be added.
So few people already watch juniors and now they want to charge?

yesterday

Record Breaker
I'm not sure one can pay for certain stream or certain event.
They say "1p per minute" everywhere on recast.
Those "p" can be bought but also acquired through other actions (watching ads,..) that won't cost real money, but maybe time.

Just guessing :scratch2:

Maybe certain channels, if big enough, like ISU could get away from this "per minute"?
And we still don't know whether I can rewatch the watched (paid) minutes

Seven Sisters

Medalist
It sounds like this plan is based on an assumption that most people will want to watch only one or two events. Clearly whoever came up with this has never met or talked to a figure skating fan. We want to be able to see EVERY competition, with options for live stream AND replay where a competition is not in our time zone. A flat fee system, not geoblocked, for every ISU-sanctioned competition, with livestream and replay, would be the way to go.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What you said. I dont even really understand pay per view. People tell me you pay to watch a movie and you can watch it over a number of days. I dont even know what that means. Can you watch and rewatch? If I want to see worlds, will I pay one fee for live and on demand? Can I rewatch? Are we talking a dollar or 20 dollars? Will they exclude VPN people by making you supply and address they can check?
I don’t think anyone knows the answers to this.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Live streaming on "Recast" . Why do us old people get confused....? Hope this doesnt go into effect for awhile. I will have someone smart like Minz or Mfarone or Doris explain this to me...

1. Peacock due to ? will not broadcast replays
2. Using a VPN, we can see replays or live.
3. Now ISU is heading for "Recast" to plug a hole. Or gain revenue.

I would love to know the numbers on how many people are watching figure skating on Peacock, and the ISU channel and the ISU channel via VPN.

I have no issues with the ISU getting my money for content. I just wonder if this is the correct path. Everybody say, "Freeeeeezzzeeee"

Ideally, there would be one figure skating channel we write one check to and we see Korean nats, Japanese Nats, Worlds, etc.
I also think Internet should be considered a utility and I believe in the tooth fairy.....sigh......
I don’t think I am as smart as Minz or Mfarone or Doris. But USFS has told me they are “trying” to get replays available. Yes, using a VPN we can watch replays or live. No hole currently exists so all I can imagine is that they want to gain revenue.

icybear

Medalist
So I can watch literally every Russian figure skating competiton on youtube and keep up to date with Russian skaters competition but I can't watch skaters on an international competition like Worlds or GPF. Even more funnier is that the old 1TV youtube channel was actually banned but they made a separate FS channel so people could still watch
Why does ISU think they get good money. Their livestreams only get around 5000 and I bet if they costed money no one would tune in.

DoubleBass

Rinkside
ISU, give the Russian Fed a call and find out how they have managed to make accessible for free everything from random city competitions to their senior nationals.
They didn't, that YouTube channel is geoblocked in Russia, Kazakhstan etc, they get their money from within Russia by broadcasting it on television and 1TV website for Russians, since YouTube demonitized them anyways, they are simply putting out the content for free for foreigners, since they wouldn't be paid for it anyways

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They didn't, that YouTube channel is geoblocked in Russia, Kazakhstan etc, they get their money from within Russia by broadcasting it on television and 1TV website for Russians, since YouTube demonitized them anyways, they are simply putting out the content for free for foreigners, since they wouldn't be paid for it anyways

Thanks for this, it does make sense. I wish some other countries would follow suit.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Good god, I've read a summary of their credits system and it's literally like having a drunk friend explain board game rules to you. I'll have it all figured out by the first GP in October. If you want to charge for it, just charge for it, but don't make me have to take notes in order to figure out how I can pay for a sport literally nobody will watch anyway because it will lose all of its audience.

Is it still on Eurosport? I opened my Eurosport Player only to realize it no longer exists.
If you are in the UK then Eurosport is now on eurosport.co.uk The figure skating is still there at the moment but I understand that a Scandinavian company will have the rights instead after the end of this season.

Marirue

On the Ice
It sounds like this plan is based on an assumption that most people will want to watch only one or two events. Clearly whoever came up with this has never met or talked to a figure skating fan. We want to be able to see EVERY competition, with options for live stream AND replay where a competition is not in our time zone. A flat fee system, not geoblocked, for every ISU-sanctioned competition, with livestream and replay, would be the way to go.
I think that is a more sensible Idea compared with their proposal.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Live streaming on "Recast" . Why do us old people get confused....? Hope this doesnt go into effect for awhile. I will have someone smart like Minz or Mfarone or Doris explain this to me...
From what I can tell, Recast is a pay-per-view streaming service. No subscriptions.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t think they will do this for countries that currently purchase footage.

DoubleBass

Rinkside
This whole idea sounds like something Elon Musk would do if he took over the ISU :rolleye: As he hasn't to my knowledge, maybe it's an act of internal sabotage by Alexander Lakernik...
More like an act of desperation by the ISU, once they realized their current financial situation.

It was the first time in recent history when the JWC wasn't televised in the US and Europe, and the likes of Fuji TV and Okko sport were able to acquire the broadcasting rights at a discount.

I think with this idea the ISU will bury themselves deeper into a hole and become even more irrelevant. And it's for the better, the sport will never have a successful future under the current international quotas system and it needs an alternative, a fully commercial figure skating league, not based on country quotas, but on individual athletes representing their training clubs/their own names, imo.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
These absolute f*cking idiots. Go ahead, make it even more difficult to access your sport, this is certainly going to help and make it more popular!

If anything, they should make their content MORE accessible, stream on more platforms, not hide behind a paywall.

Are there only morons working at ISU?

JimR

On the Ice
I think with this idea the ISU will bury themselves deeper into a hole and become even more irrelevant. And it's for the better, the sport will never have a successful future under the current international quotas system and it needs an alternative, a fully commercial figure skating league, not based on country quotas, but on individual athletes representing their training clubs/their own names, imo.

That would be a great idea.

There could always still be a championship based on country quotas, but why not a world championship event each year where the best 12 highest ranked skaters in the world are selected.