Kamila Valieva | Page 101 | Golden Skate

Kamila Valieva

JimR

On the Ice
She landed the 3A during her program in the first St Petersburg show, then at the end of the show where they have a jump off landed a perfect 4T (I haven't seen her fall on one since the Kazan GP in November), then attempted a 4S but came up short unfortunately.

JimR

On the Ice
It was a good comeback by her in the second Moscow show.

She always proves me wrong.

I thought to myself she should abandon the 3A, she recovers the 3A at a show in a dark arena.

I thought to myself she should go back to the original Bolero music or skate Interstellar for the second show after the first one went wrong (I just hated the thought of it not going to plan two nights in a row, emotional trauma from this program, etc), nails the 4T and the performance was much more in sync with the music (maybe the pianists improved as well the second night). Then jumps a 3A at the jump off at the end of the show. Not bad after doing three performances already that night, all that warming up, cooling down, more chance of injury.

The pressure was on to do well in that second show because she probably didn't want the first attempt shown by Channel 1. Really impressive.

Tokyo Drift

On the Ice
Country
France
🕷️

A Special Wednesday for A Sensational Wednesday

KAMILA_Wday.png

🕸️ 🅷🅰🅿🅿🆈 🅱🅸🆁🆃🅷🅳🅰🆈 🕸️

🖤🎂🖤🕷️🖤🎂🖤🕷️🖤🎂🖤🕷️🖤🎂🖤🕷️🖤🎂🖤

Vemvane

On the Ice
An interview with Kamila conducted by Maxim Trankov, in which she talks about this past season and also her Olympic experience. She comes across as a resilient young person in the face of all the pressure and attention she receives. It also sounds like she's developing a balance between figure skating and having a life outside the sport:

Athletes sometimes reach a point where they are so tired that they’re ready to quit everything. How often did you have such thoughts this year?

Kamila Valieva:
Well… often. Mostly at the beginning of the season, from July to September/October. It’s a strange feeling when you’re working hard, doing everything, but it seems like it’s not enough. You can’t reach the level you had in juniors, even though you’ve done everything possible. It’s at that moment that you feel discouraged.

But you have to motivate yourself, continue, because after a while, that feeling passes, and you get back into the training process.

You shouldn’t fixate on figure skating. You should live by the rule: figure skating remains figure skating. When you step off the ice, you forget about everything and live a normal life. You hang out with friends without thinking about figure skating. But when you come to figure skating, it’s work, and you focus on work.

It’s necessary to avoid burning out. If you think about figure skating 24 hours a day, you lose that balance, and you think you’re constantly involved in it, even though in reality, there are only 3-4 hours of ice time per day. You need to skate it, give your maximum, and detach yourself.

NaVi

Medalist
Recently I've been kind of curious how tall she's grown. Depending on the photo and who is used for a reference height she can look between 5'4 and 5'6. For instance, Boikova is listed at 164cm but Kamila is clearly taller than Boikova. The outdated ISU bio had 160cm and so did the wikipedia until someone updated it to 163cm a couple months ago without citing any source for that. The Russian wikipedia puts her at 164cm and links to some cooking show she did with Lyasan Utiasheva. Before I saw that I guessed she was slightly over 165cm/5'5.

JimR

On the Ice
Recently I've been kind of curious how tall she's grown. Depending on the photo and who is used for a reference height she can look between 5'4 and 5'6. For instance, Boikova is listed at 164cm but Kamila is clearly taller than Boikova. The outdated ISU bio had 160cm and so did the wikipedia until someone updated it to 163cm a couple months ago without citing any source for that. The Russian wikipedia puts her at 164cm and links to some cooking show she did with Lyasan Utiasheva. Before I saw that I guessed she was slightly over 165cm/5'5.

There was some kind of interview I can't remember the exact one early in the year where she said she was 163cm. It might have been the cooking show. But I think she has grown again since then and I would say at 165cm now.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
There was some kind of interview I can't remember the exact one early in the year where she said she was 163cm. It might have been the cooking show. But I think she has grown again since then and I would say at 165cm now.
I watched the cooking show, it was so interesting and yes, she said she was 163 cm and I was happy since it's my same height (yes, I'm a huge fan of hers). I think we have to wait until she gives another interview and is asked again for her height.

NaVi

Medalist
Before I saw that I guessed she was slightly over 165cm/5'5.
Navka is listed as 170cm and Sinitsina is listed as 167cm on isuresults and 168cm on wikipedia. They are all wearing tennis shoes in this photo and I think there's an ok chance(not that it matters much) they were given them to wear for the press conference. Kamila and Sinitsina are about the same height in the promo photo. They look very similar in height in the show videos. I think Kamila may still be a smidge shorter though. Sotnikova, who is listed at 165cm, posted a photo with Kamila that shows Kamila being a couple cm taller. We can't see what shoes they're wearing but I suspect it's tennis shoes as I doubt Kamila is still wearing her skates by the time Sotnikova is able to get backstage to take a selfie.

So at this point I think Kamila is at 166cm at a minimum and likely approaching 167cm.

JimR

On the Ice
Navka is listed as 170cm and Sinitsina is listed as 167cm on isuresults and 168cm on wikipedia. They are all wearing tennis shoes in this photo and I think there's an ok chance(not that it matters much) they were given them to wear for the press conference. Kamila and Sinitsina are about the same height in the promo photo. They look very similar in height in the show videos. I think Kamila may still be a smidge shorter though. Sotnikova, who is listed at 165cm, posted a photo with Kamila that shows Kamila being a couple cm taller. We can't see what shoes they're wearing but I suspect it's tennis shoes as I doubt Kamila is still wearing her skates by the time Sotnikova is able to get backstage to take a selfie.

So at this point I think Kamila is at 166cm at a minimum and likely approaching 167cm.

Russian girls like Kamila leading the way breaking stereotypes in figure skating. I hope other countries follow!